diy solar

diy solar

Metal roof (cabin) panel mounting?

Smeeg

looking for best way to mount 100 watt panels to metal roof, with minimal or no penetrations?

Attachments

• IMG_0929.jpeg
    IMG_0929.jpeg
    90.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0928.jpeg
    IMG_0928.jpeg
    171 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0927.jpeg
    IMG_0927.jpeg
    172 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6067.jpeg
    IMG_6067.jpeg
    507.2 KB · Views: 19
So I put " L" brackets on the end of the panels and hooked them over the ridge line of the roof. My panels were 300 watts though so probably significantly heavier. Been there for 4 years with no problems.

I used these:

https://www.s-5.com/products/corrubracket/

They have different brackets for the different types of metal roofing...
Dam I sent an email picture s-5 & 10 mins later they came back with this response.
Customer service is on point

“That is an exposed fastened 9" AG panel that our SolarFoot will work excellent on. It will sit in the pan of the panel and fasten into the decking or purlins from there any racking companies L foot will mount right on top. If you have any other questions please let me know.”

Still don’t love the idea of drilling holes in the roof

S-5 makes several different products.
I like the rail less setup. You just need the proper foot for your roof. And the panel support that attaches to the foot.

S-5 makes several different products.
I like the rail less setup. You just need the proper foot for your roof. And the panel support that attaches to the foot.
This is the proper foot for my roof^

So just these two ^ & I’m GTG?

Still don’t love the idea of drilling holes in the roof
Their brackets have very good waterproof backing. I used the same screws to fasten them as what was left over from the roof. I figure no different than adding a few extra screws for the roof panels ?‍♂️. And if you ever do remove them, just use the same screws to fill the holes

I used these:

https://www.s-5.com/products/corrubracket/

They have different brackets for the different types of metal roofing...
Do you know whether the s-5 clamps ground to the panel and ground the entire array?
I used the s-5 brackets and they’re great but I need to install a ground and I haven’t found any resource that tells whether they ground the entire array or ground just the individual panel they’re connected to

Do you know whether the s-5 clamps ground to the panel and ground the entire array?
I used the s-5 brackets and they’re great but I need to install a ground and I haven’t found any resource that tells whether they ground the entire array or ground just the individual panel they’re connected to
If use there PVKIT railess mounting system, per: https://f.hubspotusercontent00.net/...ts/Solar/PVKIT 2.0/pvkit-2-0-installation.pdf

Module frames within each column are bonded and have an established ground path through the PV​
Disk. Adjacent columns of modules should be bonded together with a jumper; a UL listed grounding​
lug should be attached to a module frame at the edge of the array to attach a ground wire for the array.​

They provide a ground path between clamp and panel frames. Through the panel frame to the next clamp. And so on. You only have to connect the ground conductor to one panel of each (connected together) group of panels.

Back