diy solar

diy solar

Micro-Air Soft Starter on 5 ton AC? Variable speed AC vs Single-stage

TIHI

In the posts I have seen, they mostly seem to top out at 4ton AC units. "Regular" AC that kicks on with a very high LRA benefit greatly with a Micro Air Soft Start (SS) device. I'm assuming they are single stage. I have two 5 ton AC units. The older Trane unit (using R22) starts with the usual high >100 LRA and would benefit from the SS device but I will probably replace that unit sometime soon. I wanted to find out, if like my other, newer, unit, a 5 ton Carrier Infinity 5 stage heat pump with variable speed air handler and communications, does that type even need a SS? It already comes on gradually. I don't see the LRA but am including a photo if anyone knows why it isn't listed and what it might be based on the RLA of 31.3. This leaves me with a a couple of questions. 1) with a communicating AC like the Carrier, would a SS even work with that or would it mess with the communication algorithm already taking place? Plus with the slow ramp up, would it even need a SS? 2) When I replace the old, R22 freon type, Trane unit with a new 5 ton, what type of heat pump-(HP) AC unit would work best? I'm running a Sol-Ark 15K with 30kWh of batteries, 11.2kw of solar and would like to not have to scramble to make sure the air doesn't 'kick'-on during a power outage. I've never tested, but fear the Trane w/o the SS would trip it. I think the Carrier would run fine without the SS but wanted to see if you all agree and also what you think would be a good "next" 5 ton unit to replace the Trane. I'm in FL so HP is the way to go but not sure if single stage with SS, or some version of multi-stage would be best? I love the Carrier because you don't even hear it. 90% of the time it is running at stage-1 or 2 and it just sneaks the icy air in. You don't hear the A/H unless you open the closet. This is where I'm a little out of my knowledge space. I don't know if multi-stage is the same as an inverter type or if they are completely different or merge in some hybrid mix. I know units like Mr. Cool have inverter, whole house units and I know the big name brands also have inverter types but look traditional. (I 'think" my Carrier is but not 100% positive) I would love to hear thoughts on the above about the SS and then the AC to look into for next time. If there is another thread that already dives into larger 5 ton ACs, please point me there and keep this post focused on the original inquiry about SS on the Carrier. Thanks all!
1686930248564.png

Yep your newer system has a "3 phase" DC motor with a locked limit of 31 amps so you will be fine. Most new units are converting to variable speed HP compressors.

you can do RLA isn't listed because it variable frequency so it "ramps" up to speed and no surge current.. perfect for off grid

I have Carrier 50XT packaged unit from about 2009. Planning of adding Solar & gas generator. Installed MicroAir 368X72 Blue. Cut starting surge from abou 129 to 31A. SUper. But it keeps giving Error73-Contactor short. Changed few contactor - same error, but almost randomly. Sometimes it works for day, sometimes it does err few times a day. Using EMPORIA to observe HVAC and street phases. It looks as if the Error comes during HVAC shutdown - ehtjer by temperature or for the time-of-day period. There were few Error73 that showed on Emporia at or near drop-to-zero on power lines that may indicate failing power cable failure, but it is no happening now.
MicroAir is very responsive, but they are at the end of their wits. Sure, the temperatures are currently extreme above 50C on the roof, but I do not see extreme pressures on the almost smart (at least Carrier thinks that) Infinity thermostat.
Today I turned all FAUTS to ON, and started getting Error73 at every temperature guided turn-off. Emporia shows nice two or four step turn-offs.
Listed below are the very first two incidents; after each incident I do urn off corresponding Fault. But the Fault count increases by 2, and MicroAir displays on one fault name:
(1) Wiring Issue
(2) Open Overload
(3) Power Interruption
...will add as it happens

I did have all FAULTS turned OFF just before I went into the above process - but it still produced Error73 randomly: once a week to once a day.
Contactors were changed and changed back, wire connections were rechecked multiple times, the 60A breaker was also changed.
What else can trigger the MicroAir to block the power to HVAC with Error73.
From elsewhere I read that Error73-COntactor Shorted has nothing to do with the Shorted Contactor. What else could be lurking there?
I wish MicroAir shared more technical info with us and allowed us to download & interpret the logs. Also MicroAir did send new firmware which was installed without much of reduction in Error73. Before installation of MicroAir the machine never had Error73, although may have had some no fatal errors about outside temperature discrepancy.
HELP please. I need the softstart at 31A so the 50A gas generator handles it, and the future solar system and battery too.

Attachments

• Infinity 50XT Installation 50xt-03si.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
So the AC unit seems to know it does not have direct control over the compressor any more.
I can't think of a way around that.

I need to test what the ac pulls in current but yes I realize the power consumption won’t change. I should have been more specific.

Back