diy solar

diy solar

FS: Micro-Air EasyStart 368-X48 Soft Starter

2TrevorJ

Bend the Joules
Up for sale is a Micro-Air EasyStart 368 Soft Starter - Part Number: ASY-368-X48-BLUE

Micro-Air's EasyStart Site

$200 shipped via USPS to the 48 CONUS states - pay via PayPal or Zelle

This was on my 47K BTU central air conditioner for 7 months. I upgraded to an "X72" part since this X48 is no longer recommended for 48K BTU compressors (now spec'd for 19K-42K BTUs).

I probably wouldn't have swapped it out but with the heat I noticed the starting current creeped up quite a bit from 32-33A solid up to 43A on some starts. Ran a relearn but it didn't help...still up to 43A on some starts. The new X72 unit brought starts back down in the low 30's solid.

Attachments

• EasyStart.jpg
    EasyStart.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
For me, as I read your post, it sounds as if the component is degrading? Drifting from 32 to 43Amps....
I don't think there's an issue with it other than it's (designed) lack of ability to drop the starting current of my 47k compressor to the lowest possible amps in hot weather. Starting current in cool weather or after extended downtime is roughly the same with both the X48 & X72 units.

Should be good (regardless of temp) when paired with a smaller compressor.

I have the x48 on my 4-ton condenser and my inrush current is around 53A, down from 129A. It's been working fine for a few years. I contacted Micro-Air regarding the x72 recommendation and they said the only difference is the size of the starting cap, and the recommendation stems from their field experience where they have come across a few 4-ton models that start better with the larger cap...but the x48 should work fine for most models.

I have the x48 on my 4-ton condenser and my inrush current is around 53A, down from 129A. It's been working fine for a few years. I contacted Micro-Air regarding the x72 recommendation and they said the only difference is the size of the starting cap, and the recommendation stems from their field experience where they have come across a few 4-ton models that start better with the larger cap...but the x48 should work fine for most models.
I am in need of one. Don't they warranty them for 10 yrs or so?

Lennox 17 Seer from ~2021. $180 and it's yours. ;) It's not doing me any good sitting here.
(y)So I have Lennox from 2004 :-( LRA : 124, RLA : 18.5. Do you know how much it might drop the RLA? Any figures from your runs? Do I need any terminal connectors/etc to connect this?

(y)So I have Lennox from 2004 :-( LRA : 124, RLA : 18.5. Do you know how much it might drop the RLA? Any figures from your runs? Do I need any terminal connectors/etc to connect this?
So the 47k unit I have dropped from 94.0A LRA on the nameplate to as low as 30.8A on start with the X72 (the X48 was more like 32.1A at best). RLA is 16.9A but it runs at 7-8A according to the EasyStart app.

My other 36k unit (also Lennox 17 Seer from 2021) with an X48 on it dropped from 72.2 LRA to as low as 15.6A on start. RLA on that one is 14.1A but it runs at 6-7A.

Both units take 1-2 more amps to start when it's really hot out or they just shut down like 5 minutes prior (due to residual system pressure).

Last edited:
So the 47k unit I have dropped from 94.0A LRA on the nameplate to as low as 30.8A on start with the X72 (the X48 was more like 32.1A at best). RLA is 16.9A but it runs at 7-8A according to the EasyStart app.

My other 36k unit (also Lennox 17 Seer from 2021) with an X48 on it dropped from 72.2 LRA to as low as 15.6A on start. RLA on that one is 14.1A but it runs at 6-7A.

Both units take 1-2 more amps to start when it's really hot out or they just shut down like 5 minutes prior (due to residual system pressure).
Thank you. So at 32 amps * 240v = 7680w inverter or do I need to do 240v * 8 amp = 1920 inverter to get them going off-grid? I guess the question is what size inverter would do the trick to get them off-grid? I have a victron 3k/120. Planning to do the upgrade sometime to 240v split phase but I really need to know what to size it up to. I see that you have a Sol-Ark. Going on a tangent a bit just to see If i am making the right decision..

Probably not what you want to hear but I wouldn't be surprised if your unit takes 40-44A to start even after the soft start. I would also recommend an X72 unit over the one I'm selling.

With that said, I would be looking for an inverter that can surge to at least 10 kW to run that compressor.

Thank you so much for your input @2TrevorJ. It looks like x72 is the best choice here. I wish you the best of luck in finding a buyer for your unit.

Back