diy solar

diy solar

minimum watt inverter/generator to power a Victron 2000w inverter/charger?

calpersfatcat

Dear Solar Experts;

I have a 32 year old Generac NP52 (5200 watt) propane powered generator in my 32 year old Isuzu powered Safari Trek. I suspect that I no longer need such a large generator and would like to replace it with a small propane powered inverter generator.

The specs on the 12 volt Victron Compact Multiplus call for an input voltage of 9.5v to 17v.

Is there any reason why a Champion dual fuel model #100899 2500watt inverter generator would not supply that Victron inverter charger the amount of power that it needs to charge the battery bank? The propane starting amps rating is 20.8 amps and the propane running amps rating is 13.9 amps.

thoughts?
Thank you.
Dave Martin
Cincinnati Ohio.

I ripped out all of the original equipment electronics and replaced with the following:

Victron 2000w Mulitplus Compact
Victron 18v dc to dc charger (I've never seen 18v but reliably get 13v when on the freeway)
Victron MMPT 150/85
Victron Shunt
Victron Cerbo GX
Victron GX Touch Screen
Renogy 100w panels. eight (8) quantity. NOT YET INSTALLED.
100ah Lithium batteries. four (4) quantity. LiTime brand.

You're good. I have a Quattro 5000w and it's minimum is 13.2ish amps. If you have the inverter already just set the minimum input to 1 amp and see what it changes it to. This is the minimum for the model. My bet is you're something close to 6amp minimum.

use the 120v output from the generator
the 12v from generator is more than likely not setup for more than a few amps @12vDC

Victron 2000w Mulitplus Compact is a inverter/charger so it will charge your batteries 12v side and allow the 120v to power all your 120v appliances

use the 120v output from the generator
the 12v from generator is more than likely not setup for more than a few amps @12vDC

Victron 2000w Mulitplus Compact is a inverter/charger so it will charge your batteries 12v side and allow the 120v to power all your 120v appliances
I'm assuming that's what he meant. If he's actually trying to pull 12v from the genny itself then the inverter doesn't matter at all as it's not dc to dc

I'm assuming that's what he meant. If he's actually trying to pull 12v from the genny itself then the inverter doesn't matter at all as it's not dc to dc
Correct. It currently has a transfer switch behind the main panel to decide between Grid and the existing old Generac 5200kw.

My goal would be to replace the dinosaur with a modern 2500w-3500w dual fuel (old Generac runs on 35 gallon on board propane tank) and lose some weight and some noise in the process while gaining some fuel efficiency with the reduction in engine size and the efficiencies (maybe) of modernization.

I'm pretty sure that I can quench the thirst of the Victron Inverter/charger by simply turning down the input available from Grid/Generator. When at home I set it to 29a max input (30a service) but when visiting friends and running an extension cord to their garage, I just turn it down to 13a input so that I don't blow the 15a garage circuit in the middle of the night.

I think that I can just learn what the Victron has to have through trial and error, depending on whether I buy a 2500w or 3500w inverter generator.

Does that seem reasonable?

thanks
Dave Martin
Cincinnati Ohio.

Turn yours down to 1amp or as low as you can and it'll bounce to its lowest setting automatically. This is the size you need at a minimum. The inverter will still do powerassist so you can use more than that as long as you have enough batteries. My huge 5000w with 220a charge quattro is 13.1ish so there's no way yours could be higher. You'd be set with a 2500w 120v genny.

You might want to consider a genny that has parallel option so down the road you could get a 2nd and pull 5000w if ever needed. Incase you're camping in super cold/hot climates and have room to toss the 2nd genny in. Plus redundancy is always nice to have.

Turn yours down to 1amp or as low as you can and it'll bounce to its lowest setting automatically. This is the size you need at a minimum. The inverter will still do powerassist so you can use more than that as long as you have enough batteries. My huge 5000w with 220a charge quattro is 13.1ish so there's no way yours could be higher. You'd be set with a 2500w 120v genny.

You might want to consider a genny that has parallel option so down the road you could get a 2nd and pull 5000w if ever needed. Incase you're camping in super cold/hot climates and have room to toss the 2nd genny in. Plus redundancy is always nice to have.
Right on. It's reassuring to get "internet confirmation" before embarking on stupid human tricks.

I took a look at your profile and am I to believe that a Prevost is your first "rv" ??? Holy Smoke. Our little 1991 28' Safari Trek was build on an NPR Turbo Diesel chassis. My 2024 goal is to have $100k in an RV worth $10k. I'm well on my way.

Thanks again for the input.
Dave Martin
Cincinnati Ohio

Right on. It's reassuring to get "internet confirmation" before embarking on stupid human tricks.

I took a look at your profile and am I to believe that a Prevost is your first "rv" ??? Holy Smoke. Our little 1991 28' Safari Trek was build on an NPR Turbo Diesel chassis. My 2024 goal is to have $100k in an RV worth $10k. I'm well on my way.

Thanks again for the input.
Dave Martin
Cincinnati Ohio
Its my 2nd. Bought a 2000 Fleetwood Discovery 37V about a year ago, spent 40k+ on it then realized it wasn't fitting our needs and if we're going to build something we need to do it right and in something that'll last. I picked up the Prevost a few months back and below was the listing. Needed 40ft and it was one of 20 built with slides, likely the last XL2 with slides. Its perfect for us in everyway just needs remodeled to our needs. Have electrical good enough for now (planning massive solar upgrade shortly) so finally starting on interior. Building a custom tile shower today, have concrete base made just putting in the membrane today so it'll dry then gotta pick out some cool tile to make it unique.

I run my Multiplus Compact 2000 from a small Ryobi inverter generator. You just need to use the optional Victron USB adapter to program the Multiplus for your use case. I set the AC input limit at 15amps (1800watts) so it will never overload the generator when inverting/charging.

Its my 2nd. Bought a 2000 Fleetwood Discovery 37V about a year ago, spent 40k+ on it then realized it wasn't fitting our needs and if we're going to build something we need to do it right and in something that'll last. I picked up the Prevost a few months back and below was the listing. Needed 40ft and it was one of 20 built with slides, likely the last XL2 with slides. Its perfect for us in everyway just needs remodeled to our needs. Have electrical good enough for now (planning massive solar upgrade shortly) so finally starting on interior. Building a custom tile shower today, have concrete base made just putting in the membrane today so it'll dry then gotta pick out some cool tile to make it unique.

Right on. Series 60. God Bless America. Beautiful Motor Coach. Really happy to see someone find a rig with good bones with an eye on doing exactly what they want to it, both with decor and functionality. There are limitless choices with a project like that. I feel fortunate that I am limited by weight, so my choices are very limited.

We chose under 28' because of the places that we need to go. California State Parks have some hard limits on length and we spend a lot of time in California. We moved away in 2015, but have a working lifetime of friends (and wife's family) in California... Two weeks ago we visited Hither Hills State Park Campground at the east end of Long Island in Montauk, New York. They have a hard limit of 30'.

After years of attending IMSA races with my Biz partner in his 45' Monoco Diplomat, I knew that an engine/exhaust brake as a safety option was not negotiable so I looked only for turbo diesels. Finding a Turbo Diesel under 30' was a very limiting parameter. I also did not want the weight/complexity of slides, so that was another limiting parameter. I also liked the idea of a small displacement motor to limit my speed and stretch mpg. Finally, I wanted something that I could destroy/rebuild with zero guilt or concern for lost value. A 32 year old Isuzu Safari Trek with a 4 cylinder 3.9 liter turbo fit the bill perfectly.

thanks again for the reply.
Dave Martin
Cincinnati Ohio

Sorry if it's already been mentioned

But don't forget all dual fuel generators derate when running LPG (propane). Also because of power factors most/all generators generally can't charge batteries at their rated capacity, also account for charger efficiency....

Using a 2500w lpg geno you'd be doing well to charge batteries at 1800w

I run my Multiplus Compact 2000 from a small Ryobi inverter generator. You just need to use the optional Victron USB adapter to program the Multiplus for your use case. I set the AC input limit at 15amps (1800watts) so it will never overload the generator when inverting/charging.

Ah! What is the Victron USB adapter? I have a cerbo GX, is that what you are referring to? I can turn down the AC input limit via my Victron GX Touch 50, but I didn't realize that there is another parameter that will need to be set.

But that's great news on the small Ryobi inverter generator handling the load.

I have settled on the Champion 2500w dual fuel with CO2 shutdown. My 4 cyl powered RV will be pleased to ditch the weight of the 32 year old Generac NP52.

Ah! What is the Victron USB adapter? I have a cerbo GX, is that what you are referring to? I can turn down the AC input limit via my Victron GX Touch 50, but I didn't realize that there is another parameter that will need to be set.

But that's great news on the small Ryobi inverter generator handling the load.

I have settled on the Champion 2500w dual fuel with CO2 shutdown. My 4 cyl powered RV will be pleased to ditch the weight of the 32 year old Generac NP52.
The mk3-usb adapter isn't needed if you have a cerbogx. It's just another way to program and make changes using the victron connect computer software. They also have a panel for the inverters with a dial to adjust the input.

At 13.9 amps max, the generator is producing 1668 watts, if that matters.

Also, can I have your old Generac??

At 13.9 amps max, the generator is producing 1668 watts, if that matters.

Also, can I have your old Generac??

It's a dirty oily mess, that unfortunately, still runs and produces power. I may bludgeon it to death with a sledge hammer.

The multiplus compact 12/2000 has an 80 amp charger.

80 amps x 14.4 v = 1,152 watts.

1,152 watts / 120v = 9.6 amps

So you genny needs to be able to handle about 10 amps or 1200 watts.

The multiplus compact 12/2000 has an 80 amp charger.

80 amps x 14.4 v = 1,152 watts.

1,152 watts / 120v = 9.6 amps

So you genny needs to be able to handle about 10 amps or 1200 watts.
That's the max I don't think the min. My quattro 5000 has a 220a charger but is 12.9 or 13.2 minimum.

That's the max I don't think the min. My quattro 5000 has a 220a charger but is 12.9 or 13.2 minimum.
I thought the question being asked was if a champion 2500w generator will be able to sufficiently charge a battery using a Victron 12/2000 multiplus.

The min input on the 12/2000 is 4.4amps I believe last time I checked on mine.

I thought the question being asked was if a champion 2500w generator will be able to sufficiently charge a battery using a Victron 12/2000 multiplus.

The min input on the 12/2000 is 4.4amps I believe last time I checked on mine.
4.4amps makes sense. All op needs is a generator that can put that much out which is any generator. It'll still fully charge the battery just slower. For example with mine I can't use under 13amps it'll overload the generator

Back