diy solar

diy solar

Mixing batteries?

Lateinthegame

I currently have a cutting edge set up for the van that I adopted from another user and was never used. I put a mini fridge on it and in 2 days it was done and needed to be recharged and the 2 flex panels takes a couple of days to charge up the lion 1300.
what will adding another battery do? I’m trying to get 2 weeks with fridge running no interrupted service is this possible?
Do I need to buy another very expensive battery to do this? Can I buy any ion lithium battery and wire it parallel with descent results?

Welcome to the forum.

Your solar panels determine how much you can use daily.

Your battery determines how long you can run without charging.

If you want to run on just battery without any solar charging for two weeks, you need 7 of those batteries (7 * 2 days = 14 days).

If you want to run it on solar + the existing battery you have, the ONLY way to ensure you can operate something indefinitely is to collect more energy than you use.

You need to determine how much solar you can collect at your location (link #5 in my signature).

You need to determine how much energy your fridge and all other devices use (if you're using an inverter for 120VAC, the inverter burns capacity as well).

Then you need to add enough solar to ensure that you can collect 1.25-1.5X that amount to allow for bad weather.

Welcome to the forum.

Your solar panels determine how much you can use daily.

Your battery determines how long you can run without charging.

If you want to run on just battery without any solar charging for two weeks, you need 7 of those batteries (7 * 2 days = 14 days).

If you want to run it on solar + the existing battery you have, the ONLY way to ensure you can operate something indefinitely is to collect more energy than you use.

You need to determine how much solar you can collect at your location (link #5 in my signature).

You need to determine how much energy your fridge and all other devices use (if you're using an inverter for 120VAC, the inverter burns capacity as well).

Then you need to add enough solar to ensure that you can collect 1.25-1.5X that amount to allow for bad weather.
Well that all makes sense I have 2 18 volt flex panels mounted flat on top of van I believe they are 100 watt. I was also considering while drive in the day also feeding the charge from the cigarette lighter. I think on panels alone I’m collecting conservatively 1/2 a batter charge a day.

Yes on the second battery and need 3x solar. If charging from alternator you are far better to pull wire from the Chassis battery or fuse panel as the cigar connector is weak and does not provide the power you need.

Yes on the second battery and need 3x solar. If charging from alternator you are far better to pull wire from the Chassis battery or fuse panel as the cigar connector is weak and does not provide the power you need.
I did score a 180 watt panel today to put with my 2 flex panels, once I get it all mounted in I’m just gonna bite the bullet and get another lion energy 1300 any hints on the best price?

I did score a 180 watt panel today to put with my 2 flex panels, once I get it all mounted in I’m just gonna bite the bullet and get another lion energy 1300 any hints on the best price?
What’s the proper gauge of wire to connect batteries in series

Is it normal for two new flex panels only up on roof for 2 weeks to have burn holes near where the wires go into panels?

Attachments

• 63E06699-E5E4-42E6-A875-5D6D5B5AC011.jpeg
    63E06699-E5E4-42E6-A875-5D6D5B5AC011.jpeg
    171.9 KB · Views: 6
Any sharp, metallic edges or protruding screws etc. behind the panels?

Back