diy solar

diy solar

Mixing brands of lithium batteries

Can you use different brands of lithium batteries together in your bank.
I have battle born batteries and would like to add 2 Chins brands to my bank.
Good idea or bad

I'd like to know the same thing. I bought a battleborn a year ago. If I had waited 3 more months, I would have seen all the quality batteries that have come out since at half the price. So now hoping to also add Chins batteries in parallel to the battleborn...

I’m wondering the same. I have 1 Lion Energy 105ah lithium battery and would like a second. Looking at something like the SOK 100ah and wired in parallel. Also wondering if they also need to be in same state of charge when wires in parallel.

Assuming both batteries are in good condition and close in capacity (ah) I don't think it will make much difference. Once both come up to full charge (100% SOC) they will equal out if voltage and discharge at the same rate. Assuming you are only going down to 40 to 50% soc, you should be just fine.

However, in theory, you should use the same battery type, chemistry, and manufacturer.

Assuming both batteries are in good condition and close in capacity (ah) I don't think it will make much difference. Once both come up to full charge (100% SOC) they will equal out if voltage and discharge at the same rate. Assuming you are only going down to 40 to 50% soc, you should be just fine.

However, in theory, you should use the same battery type, chemistry, and manufacturer.
There must be a strategy for adding additional strings of batteries when the original or comparable is not available. I have some used lithiums I would like to compliment with another string for increased capacity.

Mixing different batteries of similar ratings in parallel, not too big of a deal. However, I would not recommend putting different batteries in series. Series strings should be replaced as one bank.

Be sure the batteries are at the same voltage before tying them into the bussbar.

Most new batteries come shipped around the 50% state of charge, so you want to drain your bank down to the same voltage at least before you attach the new ones.

-Per Chins-
*Fully charge each ...disconnect
*Let settle 20+- hours
*When within 500mv attach in parallel
*Series not recommended

Back