diy solar

diy solar

Mixing lithium batteries of different ages

neoflyer

I presently have 2 SOK 12v 206ah lithium batteries wired in parallel. They are a little over 2 1/2 years old. I’d like to add another one next spring. However, it seems I remember reading in the past that lead acid batteries of different ages should not be mixed. Don’t know if having them in parallel versus series affects this. My question, is this true for lithium batteries?

I presently have 2 SOK 12v 206ah lithium batteries wired in parallel. They are a little over 2 1/2 years old. I’d like to add another one next spring. However, it seems I remember reading in the past that lead acid batteries of different ages should not be mixed. Don’t know if having them in parallel versus series affects this. My question, is this true for lithium batteries?
Hi Neoflyer... I’d imagine it depends on the condition of the older cells...do you have the ability to monitor the individual cells in the battery packs..?

I added 3 batteries about a year after i got my first 3. There is no noticeable difference that I can see. I'm sure more time will add to that, but I think worst case is that you have some that charge up quicker and you'll lose a little bit of the capacity as those will discharge into the weaker newer batteries just a little bit. We're talking like 1%.

This isn’t a problem for LFP batteries. They’ll get along just fine.

I don’t have that capability.
Maybe don’t worry too much ... hook them up and keep an eye on all the diff batteries.. your original ones aren’t that old for lifepo4..LakeHouse seems to back that idea... what do you think...?

Back