diy solar

diy solar

Mixing panels and extending current system?

math55

Still trying to figure out how to proceed with my solar adventure :). At the moment I got 2 x 300W panels connected to an Epever MPPT (https://www.amazon.se/EPEVER-solladdningsstyrenhet-litiumbatterier-identifierande-systemspänning/dp/B07FRM17DM looks almost like mine except that mine has got orange buttons) and a 600W (1200W peak) inverter.

I thought about extending this system by adding more panels so I get 2000W together (600 I have, 1400 will be added). Those are my questions:
  1. Can I mix panels of different brands? I do not know what brand or type my current panels are, they have been at the house when I bought it.
  2. Will my MPPT work with those additional panels as well?
  3. I need a new 2000W inverter (or better 3000W ?), I know that ... later on I want to hard wire it to my not yet installed breaker box. Tried finding an inverter in Europe which can be hard wired - no luck. Any suggestions here?
Thats it for now, thanks for helping!!

Last edited:
1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. No suggestions.

Concerning #1 and #2, the following rules must be observed:

1) Array strings that are in parallel must have highly similar series Vmp (within 5-10% is pretty typical).
2) All panels placed in series will operate at the current of the lowest rated panel, i.e., if you have panels that can output 10A and place them in series with a single panel that outputs 5A, ALL panels will only put out 5A thus, the 10A panels will only operate at half their rated power.

Back