diy solar

diy solar

Modified sine wave to 12 volt power supply to charge power station.... is it clean power?

Strat

This may be a silly question for you knowledgable folks out there:)

My truck has a dc to ac converter in it limited at 400 watts. If I try to charge a power station with it, it won't work because it's a modified sine wave and the power station doesn't like it.

I have tried plugging in a ac to dc power supply into the 400 watt inverter and it charges just fine charging the power station thru the solar xt60 input.

Does putting the modified sign wave into the power supply, then the created dc power into the power station create any problems with the power station?

Might depend on the power supply. Some might be ok, some not. I have used a 1500w pure sine wave inverter hooked up to my SUV's battery to charge my power station, so far without issues. My power station allows me to set the max charge wattage, I set that to 1200w or so, but I've done 1500w before.

I'm also considering this product for my specific use case: https://www.amazon.com/Daygreen-960W-Step-Converter-Non-Isolated/dp/B07KQSSWSR?th=1

I have several posts on this forum along the lines of charging a power station with an auto, getting DC power into my power stations solar connectors.

The power supply hooked up to your truck's converter (inverter?) sounds like it is more modern, and may be an "smps" (switched mode power supply), which typically can handle a huge range of incoming power. This means it can eat iffy power from most any source, and spit out (mostly) clean power.

Doesn't mean you should do this forever, as there might be some wear and tear on the internal electronics of the smps when eating iffy power, and it will crap out, sooner or later, depending on its component quality.

I'd work to replace the modified sine way inverter in your truck with any pure sine wave inverter, when feasible ... newer technology in anything recent/new, compared to what is in the truck now. More power, features, pure sine wave, etc.

Hope this helps ...

Back