diy solar

diy solar

How can I simulate solar power to a portable power station from a generator?

Strat

Mr portable power station supports 12-60V DC input, 25A max current, and 600W max charging power. I'd like to get the full 600 watts from a generator into the xt60 port. Any way of doing this? Thanks!

Try a 12V or 24V dumb battery charger.
That will provide transformer isolation and rectification.

Can someone suggest one that would work? Would a 600 watt computer power supply work? I know very little about all this.

Your box has 600wh (watt-hour) of capacity

So it can run a 600w load for one hour

Or a 300w load for two hours

The power station I have is this.... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BQWCDSBM?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

It has 2330 watt/hr capacity

I want to charge it at 600 watts thru xt60 port overnight as I run an air conditioner. The ac draws 800 watts. So I would lose 200 watts per hour. That would get me through the night. I'd just recharge the power staion in the morning. The power station has a UPS (pass thru) when charging with 110 ac input, so the generator has a hard time with the compressor start. If I could get 600 watts into it by the xt60 port, the UPS plays no part into it. The compressor startup is handled with no problem by the power station.

Any suggestions on an item that will do the trick?

The power station I have is this.... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BQWCDSBM?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

It has 2330 watt/hr capacity

I want to charge it at 600 watts thru xt60 port overnight as I run an air conditioner. The ac draws 800 watts. So I would lose 200 watts per hour. That would get me through the night. I'd just recharge the power staion in the morning. The power station has a UPS (pass thru) when charging with 110 ac input, so the generator has a hard time with the compressor start. If I could get 600 watts into it by the xt60 port, the UPS plays no part into it. The compressor startup is handled with no problem by the power station.

Any suggestions on an item that will do the trick?

Try find a similar power supply but 24v , 25amp

24v X 25amps = 600w

I'm not sure if it'll charge the power station though , it probably will ?

It will work. I do not consider it ideal, personally. The reason why is because the less voltage you feed into that XT60, the more amps you need to flow to hit the same number of Watts. 24v X 25a = 600w, but at that rate you are running the power supply at 100% capacity full time (which may become a longevity issue) and paying efficiency losses both within the power supply and across the cabling carrying the 25a.

In my opinion it would have been better to use a 48v or 60v power supply to reduce the number of amps that need to flow, which results in greater overall efficiency because of less heat loss. They are all adjustable so there should be no issue exceeding the 60v input limit on the solar controller. If you did get one with adjustable voltage from 0-48 or 0-60 then they are 'still' a 24v power supply should you have a need for that or some other particular voltage. Usually the ones that don't say 'zero to whatever' volts still have a trim pot but it will only adjust up or down within a range which limits the usefulness of the power supply for other purposes.

Having one with an adjustable current knob is nice because it lets you set the power level your generator runs at, which may come in handy if you ever want to run it at less than 600w.

Your situation in general of wanting the inverter to carry the load at all times and then just charge the battery rather than doing 'ac passthrough' is called double conversion. I do this with my generators as well because i prefer to run everything off my house inverters and never deal with ac passthrough again! I'll pay the efficiency loss to do it, i don't care. I found ac passthrough to be a giant hassle because i could not choose the power level that my generator ran at, AND had to make sure the generator could carry the total load rather than just part of it. In short, i agree with your choice.

Last edited:
It will work. I do not consider it ideal, personally. The reason why is because the less voltage you feed into that XT60, the more amps you need to flow to hit the same number of Watts. 24v X 25a = 600w, but at that rate you are running the power supply at 100% capacity full time (which may become a longevity issue) and paying efficiency losses both within the power supply and across the cabling carrying the 25a.

In my opinion it would have been better to use a 48v or 60v power supply to reduce the number of amps that need to flow, which results in greater overall efficiency because of less heat loss. They are all adjustable so there should be no issue exceeding the 60v input limit on the solar controller. If you did get one with adjustable voltage from 0-48 or 0-60 then they are 'still' a 24v power supply should you have a need for that or some other particular voltage. Usually the ones that don't say 'zero to whatever' volts still have a trim pot but it will only adjust up or down within a range which limits the usefulness of the power supply for other purposes.

Having one with an adjustable current knob is nice because it lets you set the power level your generator runs at, which may come in handy if you ever want to run it at less than 600w.

Your situation in general of wanting the inverter to carry the load at all times and then just charge the battery rather than doing 'ac passthrough' is called double conversion. I do this with my generators as well because i prefer to run everything off my house inverters and never deal with ac passthrough again! I'll pay the efficiency loss to do it, i don't care. I found ac passthrough to be a giant hassle because i could not choose the power level that my generator ran at, AND had to make sure the generator could carry the total load rather than just part of it. In short, i agree with your choice.
Thank you very much for the detailed explanation:) Are we talking about getting the 48 or 60v with variable from one of the desktop looking testing power supplies? I haven't seen anything other than those that would do this. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. Any suggestions of one?

I found this one: https://www.amazon.com/NICE-POWER-Variable-Adjustable-Switching-Regulated/dp/B0C6JZSSLH/ref=sr_1_9?crid=2MMQRM90XSWKJ&keywords=60V+10A&qid=1692976131&sprefix=60v+10a,aps,83&sr=8-9&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0&th=1

Being 60v x 10 amps, would I still be in the same situation for longevity as this would be at the top end of what this will do?

Last edited:
Back