diy solar

diy solar

Monitoring Chassis and Generator battery voltage with Victron?

justinm001

Solar Addict
Found out the Lynx shunt doesn't seem to have an aux voltage monitor like the smartshunt. I'm wanting to add both my generator battery and my chassis batteries to Victron's CerboGX so I can log and monitor them both but not sure what I can buy to get them added. I bought a Smart battery sense but thats bluetooth and seems only for an MPPT to monitor the battery voltage so I don't think it would work for another battery system.

I also bought a BMV-712 which has an aux voltage monitor. So I'm wondering if I can add this to my generator battery and use the shunt for that, then use the aux voltage for my chassis battery and get that voltage. But also have it connected to my 48V house CerboGX with the Lynx shunt over ve.direct? Will this mess with the house systems in any way? I just want the voltages in VRM so I can track it (and monitor on Grafana wallboard inside RV).

Bonus points. Any way I can monitor my trailer battery into Victron wirelessly? I'll be adding solar and everything into there as a separate system and it'd be nice to see wirelessly the voltages. They sit next to eachother in driveway disconnected so when both are close not in use it'll log, when they're connected in use it'll log and it only won't log when I'm using the RV without the trailer in which case it won't really matter.

I also bought a BMV-712 which has an aux voltage monitor. So I'm wondering if I can add this to my generator battery and use the shunt for that, then use the aux voltage for my chassis battery and get that voltage. But also have it connected to my 48V house CerboGX with the Lynx shunt over ve.direct? Will this mess with the house systems in any way? I just want the voltages in VRM so I can track it (and monitor on Grafana wallboard inside RV).

You define the primary battery monitor in the cerbo as the Lynx, so it shouldn't be an issue having another battery monitor in the system. I have my Batrium BMS as the primary with a BMV as a secondary... heck, even the inverters have their own.. I have that enabled as well, but it's over-written by the primary monitor identified by the Cerbo.

I can't say conclusively that it will work, but I'm pretty sure it will. The two batteries to be monitored must have a common (-).

Here's how multiple battery monitors are displayed:

1704407260940.png

Under System Setup:

1704407310823.png

I don’t know if this will help or not.

On my MotorHome, I wanted to monitor my Chassis battery, I am using the BMV712 aux port for temperature. I added a 100w panel and a small Victron mppt. Now I can look on my app and see the Battery voltage. (Also, that AGM Starter battery now has one charge source charging it at the voltage it wants to be charged at).

Good Luck

You define the primary battery monitor in the cerbo as the Lynx, so it shouldn't be an issue having another battery monitor in the system. I have my Batrium BMS as the primary with a BMV as a secondary... heck, even the inverters have their own.. I have that enabled as well, but it's over-written by the primary monitor identified by the Cerbo.

I can't say conclusively that it will work, but I'm pretty sure it will. The two batteries to be monitored must have a common (-).

Here's how multiple battery monitors are displayed:

View attachment 186947

Under System Setup:

View attachment 186948
This is how mine works now but all the same battery bank. I think you're right though and it'll monitor them all just not use that voltage for anything... which is my main concern.

This is how mine works now but all the same battery bank. I think you're right though and it'll monitor them all just not use that voltage for anything... which is my main concern.

The primary battery monitor is what gets distributed by default. You can override the shared temperature device in DVCC.

The voltages reported by the BMV-712 will not be used for anything, but should be displayed and logged.

S
The primary battery monitor is what gets distributed by default. You can override the shared temperature device in DVCC.

The voltages reported by the BMV-712 will not be used for anything, but should be displayed and logged.
Thanks! Got all setup and all seems good. Even got them added to my grafana display above the windshield.

Not sure if the genset uses over 500a to start but guess I'll find out if I ever use it

Attachments

• 20240105_190803.jpg
    20240105_190803.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 4
S
Thanks! Got all setup and all seems good. Even got them added to my grafana display above the windshield.

Good deal!

Not sure if the genset uses over 500a to start but guess I'll find out if I ever use it

Not sure if a ~40hp engine will have that kind of draw, but I doubt the BMS will capture the surge peak. :p

Back