diy solar

diy solar

Monitoring Load on Batteries via Tracer5415AN Controller - How?

mbergman

It appears that the Tracer5415AN can monitor/track the power consumption of the load on the batteries.

My questions:
  1. Can the Tracer5415AN monitor the power consumption of the load on the batteries?
  2. If so, how can I do so with my system?
  3. What are the load monitoring parameters on the controller screen referencing?
My setup:
  • Tracer5415AN
  • (2) 20V 5A / 100W solar panels in series for 40V 5A / 200W combined
  • (2) 12V 100Ah Li batteries in series for 24V 100Ah combined
  • 24V device drawing up to 3A
My current configuration:
The (2) panels are wired in series and are wired directly into the charger, although I am going to install a 10A breaker. The Li batteries are connected in series and are wired directly into the charger, although I am going to install a (5?A) fuse. The 24V device is directly connected to the Li batteries, although I am going to install a 5A breaker.

What's working:
  • Monitoring solar power generation
  • Monitoring battery power capacity
My current knowledge / assumptions about the controller capabilities related to load:
  • Using "(Load) dry contact interface" (characteristic 12 on page 3 of the MPPT Solar Charge Controller User Manual, referred to as the manual from now on), based on the disconnect and reconnect voltage settings, the output signal is intended to connect to the coil terminals of a relay (or the start stop terminals of an inverter, as described in the manual on page 4).
  • In order to use the "(Load) dry contact interface" an RBVS (Remote Battery Voltage Sensor) must be connected to characteristic 11, the "RBVS interface", which is a second connection to the terminals of the batteries in series solely for measurement purposes, as depicted by the diagram of the "Single controller" on page 11 of the aforementioned manual.
  • The "Dry contact" for the Tracer5415AN has a max output of 0.5A/60VDC per the specifications table on page 22 in the manual, which correlates with the small terminals on the connector for the "(Load) dry contact interface", effectively eliminating the possibility to connect the 24V device / the load directly to the "(Load) dry contact interface". *This assumes the "Dry contact" entry on the specification table on page 22 refers to "(Load) dry contact interface" depicted on page 3.
Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Based on my looking, I have found similar threads on the forum, although I have not been able to come up with a clear solution based on my research. I apologize if I did not dig hard enough to find a thread discussing the same topic. If there is an existing thread, please point me in the right direction. If I have not outlined the current status or configuration to satisfy the amount of detail needed to determine a solution, please respond and feel free to ask. Thank you in advance.

No.

This particular unit does not have load ports. It can't possibly see current that goes between the battery and a load.

The load dry contact is used to turn off a load:

(5) Low Voltage Disconnect Voltage(VLVD) disconnects the dry contact. Low Voltage Reconnect Voltage(VLVR) makes the dry contact connect. When the lithium battery and inverter are used together in the system, connect the controller's (Load) dry contact to the inverter's start-stop dry contact. The controller will manage the inverter's start or stop. If the lithium battery fails, It canp rotect the controller from being damaged because of the over-current by preventing the controller from directly starting the inverter.

Can the Tracer5415AN monitor the power consumption of the load on the batteries
To add to the advice given,
No, you are going to need a battery monitor or power monitoring device, this will usually monitor battery volts and battery current, (via a shunt).
24V device drawing up to 3A
This does not sound like an inverter. If you wish to use the load interface to cut power to the 3 A load due to low battery volts then you will have use additional switching, relay or solid state switch controlled by the load outputs. it may be the load has a low power disable control input that the Epever load output could control.
Other models in the Epever range have dedicated load outputs that can carry rated current (A series) these can display instant load current but not load power consumed.
What are the load monitoring parameters on the controller screen referencing?
The display indicates the status of the load control port.

it may help the discussion if more information is given about the application and the need to monitor load power.

Mike

Back