diy solar

diy solar

Moved from EG4 6500ex Inverters to Victron Multiplus II 48v/5000 Inverters

iSwannie

Now that's WATT I am Talking About!
Hello,

I just swapped my off-grid EG4 6500ex inverters over to two Victron Multiplus II 48v/5000kva inverters with a 450v/200A Solar Charger while utilizing 900ah of EG4 LifePower4 batteries with an EG4 Hub and two 300ah Big Battery Kong Elite batteries. I currently have 4 arrays (11.5kw) feeding the solar charger. This system so far (4 days) has been fantastic! The Solar Charger is an absolute beast charging even in cloudy weather. The Victron monitoring and programming software is by far ahead of the pack with functionality and features. I am still tuning in the loads and may require an additional two 48v/5000kva inverters, but for now it is carrying my house 24/7 without some of my 240v appliances moved over yet (water heater, dryer, oven). I do currently have my 5 ton Heat Pump on the solar system (without the strip heaters added) including a soft start installed and it does put a heavy load on the Victron inverters depending on the demand of the heat pump. I have been playing in the solar world for about 2 years and from my personal experiences I can tell you what not to do :rolleyes:. I will say this about the Victron Energy system, it has impacted me in such a big way I do not see myself leaving the Victron Energy family at this point. Yes, they do cost more, but their reliability and reputation out way the competitors for an off-grid solar system. I would have saved thousands of dollars if I had just went with Victron at the beginning but I was trying to save money. Ironic isn't it.
More to be determined for sure as far as my house load, but right now I am flying on cloud nine 😁! Hope everyone has a wonderful 2024 year.

***A VERY BIG SHOUT OUT to Adam De Lay https://going-off-grid.com/, https://www.youtube.com/@AdamDeLay07/videos for his videos!

***Another VERY BIG SHOUT OUT to Jason at Current Connected https://www.currentconnected.com/ for their support and products.

Iswannie

Sounds like you were having issues with the pair of 6500exs?
The EG4s were doing a decent job. In example last July my solar system produced 2 megawatts with the EG4 6500ex inverters, which was outstanding. They just were not very dependable and I couldn't leave the house knowing there was not remote capability to help my wife it something happened to the system. With the Victrons I can remote in and manage the system from anywhere and so can Current Connected help manage and monitor the system remotely too.

Hello,

I just swapped my off-grid EG4 6500ex inverters over to two Victron Multiplus II 48v/5000kva inverters with a 450v/200A Solar Charger while utilizing 900ah of EG4 LifePower4 batteries with an EG4 Hub and two 300ah Big Battery Kong Elite batteries. I currently have 4 arrays (11.5kw) feeding the solar charger. This system so far (4 days) has been fantastic! The Solar Charger is an absolute beast charging even in cloudy weather. The Victron monitoring and programming software is by far ahead of the pack with functionality and features. I am still tuning in the loads and may require an additional two 48v/5000kva inverters, but for now it is carrying my house 24/7 without some of my 240v appliances moved over yet (water heater, dryer, oven). I do currently have my 5 ton Heat Pump on the solar system (without the strip heaters added) including a soft start installed and it does put a heavy load on the Victron inverters depending on the demand of the heat pump. I have been playing in the solar world for about 2 years and from my personal experiences I can tell you what not to do :rolleyes:. I will say this about the Victron Energy system, it has impacted me in such a big way I do not see myself leaving the Victron Energy family at this point. Yes, they do cost more, but their reliability and reputation out way the competitors for an off-grid solar system. I would have saved thousands of dollars if I had just went with Victron at the beginning but I was trying to save money. Ironic isn't it.
More to be determined for sure as far as my house load, but right now I am flying on cloud nine 😁! Hope everyone has a wonderful 2024 year.

***A VERY BIG SHOUT OUT to Adam De Lay https://going-off-grid.com/, https://www.youtube.com/@AdamDeLay07/videos for his videos!

***Another VERY BIG SHOUT OUT to Jason at Current Connected https://www.currentconnected.com/ for their support and products.

Iswannie

Attachments

• IMG_6093.jpeg
    IMG_6093.jpeg
    322 KB · Views: 70
Nice, love the blue cable tray. I see you have room for two more inverters do you have room for expansion on the right side with more rs450/200s?

Nice, love the blue cable tray. I see you have room for two more inverters do you have room for expansion on the right side with more rs450/200s?
No more room to the right side. My batteries are usually charged before 2 to 3 pm as long as we have good sun, so shouldn't need more solar added.

This is a very helpful thread, but understanding what was going wrong with the EG4 units would be a big help to those of us trying to decide between the two brands, please. Thanks.

The two EG4 6500ex were up-to-date on firmware. However, we experienced flickering lights daily and my UPSs I have staged around the house for internet, cameras and computers would beep throughout the day. I also experienced the EG4 inverters to just shutdown around 5 times over the duration I had them and my house go dark. I know the UPS beeping was related to the 5 ton heat pump starting in heat mode and could be the contributing factor for the units to even shut down. But the AC mode of heat pump worked fine while on the solar system. Overall the EG4 inverters produced electricity but my wife just was not comfortable with me leaving the house while we were on solar/battery 24/7. With the Victron I can mange the system from wherever I am. She is more comfortable with this idea.

The two EG4 6500ex were up-to-date on firmware. However, we experienced flickering lights daily and my UPSs I have staged around the house for internet, cameras and computers would beep throughout the day. I also experienced the EG4 inverters to just shutdown around 5 times over the duration I had them and my house go dark. I know the UPS beeping was related to the 5 ton heat pump starting in heat mode and could be the contributing factor for the units to even shut down. But the AC mode of heat pump worked fine while on the solar system. Overall the EG4 inverters produced electricity but my wife just was not comfortable with me leaving the house while we were on solar/battery 24/7. With the Victron I can mange the system from wherever I am. She is more comfortable with this idea.
Thanks. Very helpful. I have my Victron set up to power three nice shed buildings (well-insulated and finished inside) used as an exercise studio, wood-fired sauna, and office. I have to say, the equipment just sits there and works without any intervention other than recharging the battery when winter solar is insufficient.I haven't taxed it all that hard but there's no beeping or complaining and I could leave it for weeks or months without touching it. Possibly years! I ran an AC line out to the building with the equipment so now the generator start relay triggers my home automation system to energize that line at 35% SOC, and turns it off at 95%. That relay would do the same for an autostart generator, of course. Monitoring is via a Raspberry Pi running Victron's free Venus OS. Hmmm... This does all favor more Victron. But the ease, simplicity,, and compactness of that newer 6000XP is sooo sweet... Temptation...

Thanks. Very helpful. I have my Victron set up to power three nice shed buildings (well-insulated and finished inside) used as an exercise studio, wood-fired sauna, and office. I have to say, the equipment just sits there and works without any intervention other than recharging the battery when winter solar is insufficient.I haven't taxed it all that hard but there's no beeping or complaining and I could leave it for weeks or months without touching it. Possibly years! I ran an AC line out to the building with the equipment so now the generator start relay triggers my home automation system to energize that line at 35% SOC, and turns it off at 95%. That relay would do the same for an autostart generator, of course. Monitoring is via a Raspberry Pi running Victron's free Venus OS. Hmmm... This does all favor more Victron. But the ease, simplicity,, and compactness of that newer 6000XP is sooo sweet... Temptation...
That setup sounds awesome Madcodger! I agree, the new EG4 inverters are appealing, but I decided since this was about my 4th inverter swap out I would go with the Cadillac this time.

I agree the new ones look inviting, but I too just recently bought a Victron product. Reminds me of buy one, cry once. EG4 seems to be the Harbor Freight of solar,with less customer service. My Renogy(my first purchase, I have since learned) Has been rock solid. No comparing it to my EG4 product.

Spent maybe a week total maybe warrantying a SOK product. Would have been less if Ii could have cycled faster, LOL 20 Kwh takes a few minutes to cycle through :) Have wasted a month or more with EG4. I have lost more in time than the products purchase price.....

I am actually looking forward to my next Victron purchase...

Adam, I would not be where I am with a Victron system if it were not for your videos and help! Thank you!
Sounds like you were having issues with the pair of 6500exs?
Who hasn't had an issue? Everything works but 1 major item and man the noise...not looking forward to the Victron I ordered. It just looks so confusing, esp when the EG4's were a breeze to setup and easy to monitor with solar assistant. Victron makes you buy more of their products just to make things work right...like a smart shunt if you have 2 or more charge controllers.

What was the reasoning for using the EG4 CommsHub, instead of just SmartShunt and LynxShunt? Do you get better charging performance (or data) with the EG4 hub?

I agree the new ones look inviting, but I too just recently bought a Victron product. Reminds me of buy one, cry once. EG4 seems to be the Harbor Freight of solar,with less customer service. My Renogy(my first purchase, I have since learned) Has been rock solid. No comparing it to my EG4 product.

Spent maybe a week total maybe warrantying a SOK product. Would have been less if Ii could have cycled faster, LOL 20 Kwh takes a few minutes to cycle through :) Have wasted a month or more with EG4. I have lost more in time than the products purchase price.....

I am actually looking forward to my next Victron purchase...
Perfect description

Back