diy solar

diy solar

MPP 2xLV2424 split phase - output is under 220VAC (on true RMS meter)

Wow this thread really took off! It's been a busy couple of weeks for me but I finally got some time to work on my solar project this past weekend.

I'm happy to report that my inverters are actually working perfectly now, and I'm loving it! I'm not sure what specifically might have changed as I have moved some things around since the initial test when I was just getting things hooked up. My best guess is that I had a bad connection somewhere in the system.

Really appreciate the suggestions and discussion in the thread.

Wow this thread really took off! It's been a busy couple of weeks for me but I finally got some time to work on my solar project this past weekend.

I'm happy to report that my inverters are actually working perfectly now, and I'm loving it! I'm not sure what specifically might have changed as I have moved some things around since the initial test when I was just getting things hooked up. My best guess is that I had a bad connection somewhere in the system.

Really appreciate the suggestions and discussion in the thread.
I have two LV2424s I am aiming to hook up for 220v split phase. I just installed the split phase card in inverter #1 ... and #2 is next, and then hanging units on my plywood wall today. I am happy to find this thread here of others doing the same. ... Been wondering, after I get my split phase working properly; .... Does anyone know if the amperage limit of two LV2424s configured to split phase (I think of about 20 + Amps max on each 220vac leg)? ... or can these LV2424s be daisy chained when configured for 220v split phase for uping the amperage? I thought I heard NO, but not sure. ... I am currently in the phase of learning more by doing, and dialing in my details. I will be hooking up my Xuba purchase of 8 * 280 Ah LiFePO4s to my Chargery BMS8T soon, and configuring my 1st ever battery Capacity Test to confirm I have 280 Ah or not (expecting Yes). Glad to find this thread :+) Bill

My WAG is that it is 20 Amps per phase which would mean per inverter. However that would give you twice the Watts which is the ultimate measure of power because I presume some of your devices are going to be 240 volts. Did that answer your question?

My WAG is that it is 20 Amps per phase which would mean per inverter. However that would give you twice the Watts which is the ultimate measure of power because I presume some of your devices are going to be 240 volts. Did that answer your question?
Still wondering Re: MPP's LV2424 All In One configured for 220-240v split phase . When configure for Single Phase; the manuals says: Parallel operation in single phase with up to 9 units; All In One units can be daisy chained to go from 20 amp 120v output, to 40 amps, to 60 amps (on same battery bank, but separate set of solar panels for each unit). I wonder if anyone on this forum has configured for higher amperage after setting up 2 LV2424 All In Ones for 220-240v split phase, and upped the amp output? ...No need for answer right now. Just something I am wondering about. Also: Not sure what your mention of "WAG" stand for ?

have all the pieces for that, but havent had time to setup the second unit or the paralleling boards.

I believe I did see it in the setup as well- to basically double up. They can sync to the line power, so then they can also sync to each other.

Its very interesting in that way, almost able to replicate the service lines (as far as capacity) if you buy enough units.

I did wonder though, could you have them on different battery banks? Just a thought, as one bank could be say, NMC batteries while the other bank is LifePO4, so that you could mix and match whatever is cheapest at the time of purchase.

have all the pieces for that, but havent had time to setup the second unit or the paralleling boards.

I believe I did see it in the setup as well- to basically double up. They can sync to the line power, so then they can also sync to each other.

Its very interesting in that way, almost able to replicate the service lines (as far as capacity) if you buy enough units.

I did wonder though, could you have them on different battery banks? Just a thought, as one bank could be say, NMC batteries while the other bank is LifePO4, so that you could mix and match whatever is cheapest at the time of purchase.
Re: different battery banks? ... my understanding from inquiry before my purchase; configuring for 240v split phase require same battery bank/ but separate Solar Panel arrays. Same for connecting up for doubling or tripling, etc. amperage on one 120 ac circuit breaker leg. In wondering if the 240 split phase from MPP's LV2424 can be linked to more than just two units; I am still not sure. I saw pictures in the manual that shows you can, but that manual covers several models. I notice the LV5*** - which connect to 48 volt battery banks ... have an 4 layer toggle switch selector on bottom to give each unit a number like #1, #2, #3, ... ect., that may allow more options than the LV2424 (which might be limited to 20 -25 amps AC for each leg). Still wondering about this aspect of my LV2424 options.

I have LV5048 connected to byd battery pack.
I did consider LV2424 earlier but then went with LV5048.
For me I wanted a seamless switch in terms of wiring. Also as per the specc 2424 can handle 2000w continues vs 5048 can handle 5000w continues, that's a gain of 1000w upfront.

I thought it was 2400 continuous? And like 2800 peak?

As for the other option, you can have 2 units in series (120v 40amp) and the split phase (120v 20 amp) for a total of 3 units.

It could be advantageous in some situatoonr

As for the other option, you can have 2 units in series (120v 40amp) and the split phase (120v 20 amp) for a total of 3 units.

You are correct. 2400w continues.
But still LV5048 is 5000w continues, a little gain.
Thing I mixed up was the solar input.
2000w vs 8000w.
Also efficiency for LV2424 is specd at 85%
LV5048 is 90%

You can check the catalog section

I have seen that picture in manual, but still not sure. Would like to hear from someone who actually has done that. ... my take

You are correct. 2400w continues.
But still LV5048 is 5000w continues, a little gain.
Thing I mixed up was the solar input.
2000w vs 8000w.
Also efficiency for LV2424 is specd at 85%
LV5048 is 90%

You can check the catalog section
Ian @ MPP eBay supply for warranty from USA told me via email the LV5048 was his favorite. The difference for me was the 24 volt battery needs of the LV2424 vs 48 volt battery for the LV5048. For me: Upgrading from an aged small 400 watts of solar panels set on 12 volt lead acid (as a back up for when grid gets turned off for fire dangers, or some grid accident, or the Enron Scandle days, and/or running my office) ... updating to 2000 Watts worth of Solar Panels (x 2 for 240 vac); and to 24v LiFePO4s was good enough, plus more economically matched to my needs. Since I have a 220 -240 vac well pump on a 300 + foot run; I chose to go for two LV2424 tied to 4000 watts of Solar Panels, and configure two LV2424 for 240vac split phase. ... I was stoked to get 24v 280 Ah worth of LiFePO4s from Xuba via Alibaba for $1022 total. My sea freigh to FedEx battery shipment from China took two months to receive at my door in California after payment (ok timing for beginning of Coronavirus challenge). I am dialing in the specific settings of BMS, my All In Ones, and to confirm my battery capacity this coming week. I still have my rack and solar panels on my roof project ahead of me before I get a finished product.

Here's a picture of my Solar Wall set up with Batteries. Through wall to left (outside my house in separate compartment) I have a 50 amp grid powered sub panel. I can now switch off grid power to that sub panel at a new breaker box at lower left, and then energize that sub panel (connects to most of my house, plus water pumps through two separate 25 amp breakers tied to my All In Ones. ... I am currently studying my Chargery BMS8T options to match up to my battery specs n needs / ... and just figured out my best option to turn off the All In Ones if or when a BMS protection trigger happens. I have room to expand my current 8 cell 280 Ah battery bank via stacking one or two more sets above with a rack, if I choose to go there. I am now learning from hands on, combined with studying more details. ... Will P's Youtube clips plus this DIY Solar Forum have been a great source for learning more specifics, plus inspiration. I hope to post about my full success later.

... on a Learning More All The Time ... Roll :+) Bill

Attachments

• Bills.SolarWall.jpg
    Bills.SolarWall.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Ian @ MPP eBay supply with warranty from USA told me the LV5048 was his favorite. The difference for me was 24 volt battery for the LV2424 vs 48 volt battery for the LV5048. For me: Upgrading from an aged small 400 watt on 12 volt lead acid to / 2000 Watts of Solar Panels on 24v LiFePO4s was good enough/ and more economically matched to my need. Since I have a 220 vac well pump on a 300 foot run, going for two LV2424 tied to 4000 watts of Solar Panels seemed good enough. I m intending to configure for 240vac split phase. ... I was stoked to get 24v 280 Ah worth of LiFePO4s from Xuba via Alibaba for $1022 total (took tow months after payment to receive in California). I am dialing in my details this week to confirm the battery capacity, and dial in settings of my All In Ones. I still have to install my solar racks and panels on my roof.

Here's a picture of my Solar Wall set up with my batteries. Through wall to left (outside my house in separate compartment) I have a 50 amp grid powered sub panel I can now switch off at breaker box at lower left, and then energize through a 25 amp breaker tied to my All In Ones. ... Still studying my Chargery BMS8T options to match up to battery specs n needs / and figuring out my best option to turn off the All In Ones if or when a protection trigger happens. I have easy room to expand my battery bank with a rack for stacking one or two more sets above first set if I go there. I am now learning form hands on, combined with reading more details. ... Hope to post about my progress and success later. Learning More All The Time :+)
I haven't hooked up my second unit yet. But is there any reason it requires to be hooked up to the same battery bank.? Obviously there are advantages (4kw of solar charge capability) and a balanced discharge where needed , but I think it possibly could use two different charge profiles on each unit

any reason it requires to be hooked up to the same battery bank.?
My understanding from studying manual, plus conversing with Ian at MPP supply in USA: I am pretty sure hooking up two LV2424 to the same battery bank is the Only Option for 240v split phase. I also think that is the only option if you chose to daisy chain units for upping the amperage of 120vac (20 amp to 40, to 60, to ...?) going to one leg of a 240 volt circuit breaker box / island style / solidly disconnected from the grid.

Another Option on daisy chaining to higher amperage: If you do not have any 240 volt breakers or needs, and are solidly disconnected from the grid; My Take: I think you could safely power both legs of a circuit breaker box via one of more LV2424s. That would require locking up a solid disconnect from grid/ and locking All 240 breakers to OFF; or not having any 240 v breakers while using only 120 vac breakers.

Here is a two battery bank option I can imagine without having done this: If you Do Not Need 220-240 vac split phase, and going with a total island disconnect from grid; I believe you could have two battery banks with two or more LV2424s (0n separate set of solar panels); as in one battery bank for powering each leg your ac circuit breaker box. This is not a typical nor standard idea, and may possibly be criticized by some as dangerous (wondering about that). I see this idea as a real option depending on your situation. ... This is My Take from accomplishing a back up power option to both legs of my disconnected from grid house sub panel via one 120v generator. That option is only doable with absolute (best locked off) grid disconnect plus absolute all 240 breakers locked OFF. ... Food for Thought on options for two battery banks while using two or more LV2424 when not needing 240vac split phase.

Last edited:
Ian @ MPP eBay supply for warranty from USA told me via email the LV5048 was his favorite. The difference for me was the 24 volt battery needs of the LV2424 vs 48 volt battery for the LV5048. For me: Upgrading from an aged small 400 watts of solar panels set on 12 volt lead acid (as a back up for when grid gets turned off for fire dangers, or some grid accident, or the Enron Scandle days, and/or running my office) ... updating to 2000 Watts worth of Solar Panels (x 2 for 240 vac); and to 24v LiFePO4s was good enough, plus more economically matched to my needs. Since I have a 220 -240 vac well pump on a 300 + foot run; I chose to go for two LV2424 tied to 4000 watts of Solar Panels, and configure two LV2424 for 240vac split phase. ... I was stoked to get 24v 280 Ah worth of LiFePO4s from Xuba via Alibaba for $1022 total. My sea freigh to FedEx battery shipment from China took two months to receive at my door in California after payment (ok timing for beginning of Coronavirus challenge). I am dialing in the specific settings of BMS, my All In Ones, and to confirm my battery capacity this coming week. I still have my rack and solar panels on my roof project ahead of me before I get a finished product.

Here's a picture of my Solar Wall set up with Batteries. Through wall to left (outside my house in separate compartment) I have a 50 amp grid powered sub panel. I can now switch off grid power to that sub panel at a new breaker box at lower left, and then energize that sub panel (connects to most of my house, plus water pumps through two separate 25 amp breakers tied to my All In Ones. ... I am currently studying my Chargery BMS8T options to match up to my battery specs n needs / ... and just figured out my best option to turn off the All In Ones if or when a BMS protection trigger happens. I have room to expand my current 8 cell 280 Ah battery bank via stacking one or two more sets above with a rack, if I choose to go there. I am now learning from hands on, combined with studying more details. ... Will P's Youtube clips plus this DIY Solar Forum have been a great source for learning more specifics, plus inspiration. I hope to post about my full success later.

... on a Learning More All The Time ... Roll :+) Bill

I jumped on the byd wagon.
I got four used 24v 220ah batteries for $1800. They were rated at 5.3kwh but people are seeing anywhere from 3.5kwh to 4.5kwh capacity available on those batteries.
That makes a 48v setup. The other obvious reason being higher voltage means lower current carrying wires. Lastly I just feed the split phase into the inverter and get a split phase from the inverter that goes to my emergency panel, I just moved the ciucuits from main panel to the emergency panel and I am done.
I am still working on getting some used 1kw solar panels and hooking it up to take advantage of the complete hybrid setup.
And to fancy my monitoring bug I setup the raspberry pi based on jblance code along with jkbms all in one screen.

So is the lv2424 supposed to be set at the same charge configuration ? The manual never said it was forced to be that way.

So is the lv2424 supposed to be set at the same charge configuration ? The manual never said it was forced to be that way.
I have not got that far yet, and the specifics in the manual leave plenty of room for questions. I found one clip on Youtube of a guy covering how he got the LV2424's 240v split phase working. I kind of remember he had to turn unit off and on to finally get it to click in. I wished I bookmarked that clip (might have). I will post if here if I find it again (had some configuration type info. .

Via another clip Re: the LV5*** , which can do 240vac split phase as one unit (or not) with a 48 v battery bank: I saw a different youtube clip that said the exact configuration of unit one was transferred to the unit 2 LV5*** . That clip also showed four small toggle like switches on bottom of the LV5*** to label specific units as unit #1, #2, #3, #4, ... etc ... for daisy chaining up the amperage. Not sure what the LV2424 capabilities are for networking up the amperage when 1st two units get configured to 240vac split phase ... The pictures shown in the manual seem to cover several models.

It would be great to see a good clip on the specifics of setting up the configuration of the LV2424 to get the 240v split phase. or better manual info. on that. ... That is My Curious Creator Take Today :+)

Last edited:
Back