diy solar

diy solar

Mpp or Growatt?

Prof Chill

Hi all - I'm looking to get a 3000w all-in-one inverter charger to run a 48v, 280ah LFP bank on a sailboat. Both Mpp and Growatt have similar models that look to do what I need. Any preferences on one brand over the other? Bad/good experiences with either?
Thanks - Chris

There is very little difference between them. They are both made by Voltronics. The biggest difference is AC charging. MPP Solar units behave like a normal charger, bulk/absorp/float. The Growatt is like a tank float valve, i.e., start charging when voltage drops to X, stop charging immediately upon attaining Y. In short, the Growatt can't effectively charge most batteries to full.

Both have notoriously high idle consumption of about 40-50W 24/7.

Recommend you get them from a distributor rather than direct. Support when ordering direct is notoriously bad, and you'll lose any savings and then some if you ever have to send one back to China.

There is very little difference between them. They are both made by Voltronics. The biggest difference is AC charging. MPP Solar units behave like a normal charger, bulk/absorp/float. The Growatt is like a tank float valve, i.e., start charging when voltage drops to X, stop charging immediately upon attaining Y. In short, the Growatt can't effectively charge most batteries to full.

Both have notoriously high idle consumption of about 40-50W 24/7.

Recommend you get them from a distributor rather than direct. Support when ordering direct is notoriously bad, and you'll lose any savings and then some if you ever have to send one back to China.
My 48v 3K Growatt has settings for bulk,absorp,float plus other options for starting stopping charging and switchover. You should talk to a marine knowledgable distributor. Wiring, bonding requirements, and shore power connections etc. are different in that world.

Seriously? I’m out…

@Rustic

Sent the following to Ian:

Does the subject inverter (3000TL LVM-ES) observe the typical Growatt on/off behavior of the AC charger using settings 12 and 13 or does it use the Absorp/float voltages in settings 19 and 20?

Ian:
AC charging is governed by setting 12 and 13. Solar by 19,20

Crazy how you can own something and not even know how it works.

@Rustic

Sent the following to Ian:

Does the subject inverter (3000TL LVM-ES) observe the typical Growatt on/off behavior of the AC charger using settings 12 and 13 or does it use the Absorp/float voltages in settings 19 and 20?

Ian:
AC charging is governed by setting 12 and 13. Solar by 19,20

Crazy how you can own something and not even know how it wor

Back