diy solar

diy solar

MPP PIP MAX 8048 help required

bugsysiegel

Hi guys,

I have searched through the forums, but so far have not found answers to my questions - problems, I'm experiencing with my new MPP PIP MAX 8048.

Let me keep this short, hope someone can help me out:

1. the mpp is not charging a battery from the ac generator I have. I have been through all the settings, even followed Will's advice on youtube with a different MPP unit, the only thing I have not done is bridged L1/L2, but I have 230V system, the genny is 230/50hz, so this should not be needed. The MPP just won't charge the battery.
2. the second issue is communication with the battery, using Pylontech protocol. I have EEL battery 48V box (https://eelbattery.myshopify.com/pr...type-without-cellssuitable-230-280-302ah-cell) with 16x 3.2V 280AH batteries, working fine, protocol set to PYlontech, I use standard networking cable between mpp and battery. The mpp after a few min gives me error 61.
3. if anyone has a similar setup, can you share your setting for optimal setup?
4. I have no luck setting up watchpower android app, does anyone have a trick up in their sleeve? Simply, when I connect the wifi mpp to my wifi network, it always fails, I have tried to connect ti to a mobile hotspot of my phone, same issue, so can't use it at all... And trust me, I know IT, but this time I have failed misserably.

I would greatly appreciate your help. I will owe you big time.

Thank you.

Oliver

Hi guys,

I have searched through the forums, but so far have not found answers to my questions - problems, I'm experiencing with my new MPP PIP MAX 8048.

Let me keep this short, hope someone can help me out:

1. the mpp is not charging a battery from the ac generator I have. I have been through all the settings, even followed Will's advice on youtube with a different MPP unit, the only thing I have not done is bridged L1/L2, but I have 230V system, the genny is 230/50hz, so this should not be needed. The MPP just won't charge the battery.
2. the second issue is communication with the battery, using Pylontech protocol. I have EEL battery 48V box (https://eelbattery.myshopify.com/pr...type-without-cellssuitable-230-280-302ah-cell) with 16x 3.2V 280AH batteries, working fine, protocol set to PYlontech, I use standard networking cable between mpp and battery. The mpp after a few min gives me error 61.
3. if anyone has a similar setup, can you share your setting for optimal setup?
4. I have no luck setting up watchpower android app, does anyone have a trick up in their sleeve? Simply, when I connect the wifi mpp to my wifi network, it always fails, I have tried to connect ti to a mobile hotspot of my phone, same issue, so can't use it at all... And trust me, I know IT, but this time I have failed misserably.

I would greatly appreciate your help. I will owe you big time.

Thank you.

Oliver
Error 61 on my EG4 is a miscommunication fault that means the inverter is not talking to the batteries. These units are known to have these comms issues. Recommend setting 05 to USE and set 26 (bulk) to 55V and 27 (float) to 54.3V (for lifepo4). See how that does.

Regarding the comms ensure the Ethernet is plugged in the right direction, apparently the pins only go one way. Then ensure the dip switches and Ethernet cables match the manual.

Let me know if this works. Note, I am still using USE mode as I can’t get the system to communicate and don’t want to flash the firmware.

-Jay

If its simular to the LVX 6000 settings it is in your settings for the charging priority. I setup a friends and it took me awhile to get it to charge off his generator. I can look next time I'm over there.

If its simular to the LVX 6000 settings it is in your settings for the charging priority. I setup a friends and it took me awhile to get it to charge off his generator. I can look next time I'm over there.
That would be fantastic, yes, please! Even though, I think my charging priority is setup correct, but as it is not working, I'll listen to any advice.

Error 61 on my EG4 is a miscommunication fault that means the inverter is not talking to the batteries. These units are known to have these comms issues. Recommend setting 05 to USE and set 26 (bulk) to 55V and 27 (float) to 54.3V (for lifepo4). See how that does.

Regarding the comms ensure the Ethernet is plugged in the right direction, apparently the pins only go one way. Then ensure the dip switches and Ethernet cables match the manual.

Let me know if this works. Note, I am still using USE mode as I can’t get the system to communicate and don’t want to flash the firmware.

-Jay

-Jay
Jay, so that makes 2 of us. I'll do my best to find out what is going on and I'll share the solution with you. The manual says to use custom cable, I wonder if this is the problem, maybe standard eth cable is not good enough?

Jay, so that makes 2 of us. I'll do my best to find out what is going on and I'll share the solution with you. The manual says to use custom cable, I wonder if this is the problem, maybe standard eth cable is not good enough?
The Ethernet cable is special and is what comes with the inverter(s) and is unidirectional. I think the nice brass side goes toward the inverter, but would need to check. If you threw away, call manufacturer or let me know and can ship an extra to you.

-Jay

The Ethernet cable is special and is what comes with the inverter(s) and is unidirectional. I think the nice brass side goes toward the inverter, but would need to check. If you threw away, call manufacturer or let me know and can ship an extra to you.

-Jay
Jay,

Well, I have checked everything, and I can now say for sure the cable was not included with the MPP unit. What a bummer!

Also, finally I was able to connect the MPP with the watchpower software. I have tried to configure a few things, however, the unit still won't charge the battery. What actually happens, it's loud "clicking" noise, like a relay, from the unit, like it's trying to switch something but it's still not working. Quite disappointed, to be honest. Any ideas?

Jay,

Well, I have checked everything, and I can now say for sure the cable was not included with the MPP unit. What a bummer!

Also, finally I was able to connect the MPP with the watchpower software. I have tried to configure a few things, however, the unit still won't charge the battery. What actually happens, it's loud "clicking" noise, like a relay, from the unit, like it's trying to switch something but it's still not working. Quite disappointed, to be honest. Any ideas?
The clicking is probably when the system is in bypass mode, passing AC input to AC output. Some inverters do that, no one knows why. One of mine recently started doing that. Curious how you handled the Neutral-Ground bonding? That is the one area I have not fully resolved. My system was in bypass this am and the system was having serious surging. I need to put an O-scope on the system to see what is going on.

Hi everyone,

I want to update you about my progress with MPP 88048 pip max. Yesterday I connected 8 panels in series to mppt1 on MPP and during a winter sunny day it produced 1.85 kW during peaks, so within a few short sunny bursts I was able to put 5.8kw into the battery. I have Jinko 460W panels, so so far so good.

Also, grid charging works! No, still not directly from my genny, but I have connected it to my old 24v inverter (Power) and it was charging the battery perfectly well! Looks like the problem is with the generator, my old uPower had no problem with the genny and charged batteries without any issues. Looks like MPP need a cleaner output from the external source, otherwise, it won't use it and will complain.

So, so far so good, the MPP is working fine, I'm disappointed that I can't connect my seplos bms and mpp directly via cable as seplos has rs232 protocol and mpp only via canbus, if anyone knows more, let me know.

I have also found somewhere on mpp website, that the grid input has to be fairly clean, so there you go guys, it's not that hard to setup actually, but if something does not work as advertised, it's hard to get to the right information.

Hi everyone,

I want to update you about my progress with MPP 88048 pip max. Yesterday I connected 8 panels in series to mppt1 on MPP and during a winter sunny day it produced 1.85 kW during peaks, so within a few short sunny bursts I was able to put 5.8kw into the battery. I have Jinko 460W panels, so so far so good.

Also, grid charging works! No, still not directly from my genny, but I have connected it to my old 24v inverter (Power) and it was charging the battery perfectly well! Looks like the problem is with the generator, my old uPower had no problem with the genny and charged batteries without any issues. Looks like MPP need a cleaner output from the external source, otherwise, it won't use it and will complain.

So, so far so good, the MPP is working fine, I'm disappointed that I can't connect my seplos bms and mpp directly via cable as seplos has rs232 protocol and mpp only via canbus, if anyone knows more, let me know.

I have also found somewhere on mpp website, that the grid input has to be fairly clean, so there you go guys, it's not that hard to setup actually, but if something does not work as advertised, it's hard to get to the right information.
which version of the Seplos BMS do you have ?
10C - canbus only for inverter comms - will not ever be able to connect to you 8000 max
10D - RS485 only or inverter comms - can connect to your mpp on CANBUS port, set pylon in the MPP and BMS , make sure pin-out of the cat5 / cat 6 cable is correct, can be found in manual
10E - both CANBUS and RS485 - can connect to your mpp on CANBUS port, set pylon in the MPP and BMS , make sure pin-out of the cat5 / cat 6 cable is correct, can be found in manual

O'mighty'sorcerer!

Thank you for a fantastic reply. Not sure which version I have but definitely will find out. I have not seen pin out in the manual, have to look at this again, but if what you are saying is true (not saying it is not, I believe you) than you are my saviour and many others will thank you as well!

I will update this post once again I will know more.

this should also be a very interesting topic to fully read...
i have post some images in there to find out which one you have :

btw if you do have the canbus only version, there is an alternative : solar assistant, that will also provide you with some proper monitoring of your 8000 max, and can act as a "man-in-the-middle" between bms and inverter

Yes, I know about solar assistant. Actually, today, I will receive my RPI4 kit and going to buy solar assistant as based on what I have seen, it's an excellent product. So if it works as advertised, I might not need the cable or have the mpp connected directly to bms. I will post a public link here once I got it up and running.

I'm going to reply to this thread and answer all the previous questions/issues I had by myself as pretty much I have solved them or partially solved them:

1. MPP is not charging using genny - as mentioned above, it needs a fairly clean signal from the genny, if you are not getting it, MPP will not use it, simple, my old uPower works with my genny without any problems.
2. Communication - apparently, you need the latest version of BMS, but you need 10d or 10e version, I'm waiting for the correct pin-outs from the BMS supplier, and will test it, right now I have connected everything through Solar Assistant and it's great!
3. I'm working on my own setup instructions and will post them as soon as everything is fine-tuned
4. Watchpower app on the mobile still does not work, but I got this solved through Solar Assistant for now so I am ok with this for now. I have added a Bluetooth module to my BMS and can setup battery parameters via that one, so I got it covered.

Back