diy solar

diy solar

MPP Solar 6048LVX Max PV Input

HassAnnette

I am aware that the MPP Solar 6048LVX has a max input PV input of 6Kw, the question that I have, what happen if the PV input is around 7Kw or more during the peak production? Does the system just cap the PV at 6Kw or does it damage the unit?

I am thinking of adding more panels to help with the production during the cloudy days, as some times I barely get around 500 watts during cloudy days!

I am aware that the MPP Solar 6048LVX has a max input PV input of 6Kw, the question that I have, what happen if the PV input is around 7Kw or more during the peak production? Does the system just cap the PV at 6Kw or does it damage the unit?

No. No.

The unit has a charger output limit. It will cut the output based on the charge voltage/current.

It's limited to 100A output, so it can't output more than 100A * battery voltage. If charging LFP to 3.55V/cell, you'll never get more than 5680W (56.8V * 100A).

No. No.

The unit has a charger output limit. It will cut the output based on the charge voltage/current.

It's limited to 100A output, so it can't output more than 100A * battery voltage. If charging LFP to 3.55V/cell, you'll never get more than 5680W (56.8V * 100A).
Interesting, but I thought the inverter will be cap the PV input at 6kw and will not take any additional power!

Interesting, but I thought the inverter will be cap the PV input at 6kw and will not take any additional power!

Are you talking about the inverter or the MPPT. The EG4 is not an inverter. It is an all-in-one (AiO).

The inverter converts DC to AC.
The MPPT converts PV DC to battery DC.

The inverter can output 6500W AC
The MPPT can output 100A DC @ battery voltage. If battery voltage is less than 60V, then output will ALWAYS be less than 6000W.

The MPPT is also subject to the PV voltage and current input limits.

Unfortunately, the 6000W listed in the manual as max array power is not particularly meaningful.

Thanks for the information. My system is MPP Solar 6048LVX, which is AIO as you described. I found on YouTube what is a "Solar Clipping" term used for such thing, it looks like some of the solar installations are sizing additional panel between 30-50% more than what the system is rated at.

This is the reason:

1. The inverter will only pull what the load is rated at and no more, so if you have a 6kw inverter with a 7kw panels, you can only pull 6K regardless.
2. You can have more power production rather than the peak of 6K that the panel produce for few minutes during peak time of the day on the longest day of the summer. So by adding more panels, one will increase the peak to last for longer period of time during the day, and hence maximizing the production.

Here is a YouTube link
, please let me know your thoughts about this idea, thanks...

I experienced this myself with the Lv6548. I added 5 strings temporarily wired into my one available pv input laid out in the yard while I worked on building permanent structures 8 foot off the ground in concrete. The 5p input maxed out at 17.8 amps during solar noon. Not optimal but it did increase my yields by giving more power longer. MPPTs can handle extra amps but will shut down when the Voltage is too high. More parallel strings are the way to go when oversizing your system.

Back