diy solar

diy solar

Mpp solar lv6548 solar array

Matthew judah

I am currently running a LV 6548. I want to increase my solar array. As of now I have four 450 W solar panels in series on each controller. I want to add eight more panels. Can I run for more panels in series and parallel to keep the voltage down to 200 but the amperage would be 25 A, please help thanks

Assuming its not the new 500V version. The online datasheet for the older LV 6548 version allows up to 390V OC with the MPPT range up to 350V. Max usable current is listed as18A per input but you can over panel a bit. Any available amperage in excess of 18 will be ignored.

Do you have the specifications or user manual for the version of LV6548 you have? Is it limited actually limited to 200V OC?

Assuming its not the new 500V version. The online datasheet for the older LV 6548 version allows up to 390V OC with the MPPT range up to 350V. Max usable current is listed as18A per input but you can over panel a bit. Any available amperage in excess of 18 will be ignored.

Do you have the specifications or user manual for the version of LV6548 you have? Is it limited actually limited to 200V OC?
Thanks for replying in the user manual it says 250 V max on each charge controller and 18 A max. I was wondering if I could run four more panels in parallel giving me at the maximum 25 amps . So the amps that go over the specific rate will be ignored. I’d be fine with that.

Yes in my configuration 200 V is the closest I can get without overvoltage from what I understand that could kill my inverter. Any thoughts?

Sounds like the inverter is an older version that no longer has documentation online. For example Schneider publishes the max usable current on the MPPT input and also lists a spec for the max short circuit current of the PV array. With this information one can calculate how much over paneling is allowed.

In your case 25/18 = 1.4 which is 140% over paneled based on what? Imp which is slightly lower than Isc. Adding 4 more panels would be "pushing" the safe zone in my opinion. Of course a PV array only produces absolute max current only under ideal conditions.

My thought: I would go ahead and add the 4 extra panels but would be prepared to replace the older inverter with a newer 500V version if the existing one failed. Then you would also have to be prepared to rewire the arrays into an 8S configuration. Upside is the higher voltage set up gets the current well under the limit and no clipping would occur so all available PV power is captured.

Sounds like the inverter is an older version that no longer has documentation online. For example Schneider publishes the max usable current on the MPPT input and also lists a spec for the max short circuit current of the PV array. With this information one can calculate how much over paneling is allowed.

In your case 25/18 = 1.4 which is 140% over paneled based on what? Imp which is slightly lower than Isc. Adding 4 more panels would be "pushing" the safe zone in my opinion. Of course a PV array only produces absolute max current only under ideal conditions.

My thought: I would go ahead and add the 4 extra panels but would be prepared to replace the older inverter with a newer 500V version if the existing one failed. Then you would also have to be prepared to rewire the arrays into an 8S configuration. Upside is the higher voltage set up gets the current well under the limit and no clipping would occur so all available PV power is captured.
OK, I understand so it may be a bad idea to go that high on amperage. Thanks again for replying.

I also run 2 of the original lv6548 with the 250v limit. if I remember correctly, MPP said that up to 22 amps was OK.
I think @Zwy here on the forum has the best idea and bought eg4 charge controller $400 to connect directly to the batteries in addition to using the mppt on the inverters to allow adding more solar panels. a lot cheaper than swapping inverters. My inverters just passed 2 years and never a hiccup

I also run 2 of the original lv6548 with the 250v limit. if I remember correctly, MPP said that up to 22 amps was OK.
I think @Zwy here on the forum has the best idea and bought eg4 charge controller $400 to connect directly to the batteries in addition to using the mppt on the inverters to allow adding more solar panels. a lot cheaper than swapping inverters. My inverters just passed 2 years and never a hiccup
Well, that sounds like a great idea. I may try that.

So using two different charge controllers, they won’t fight each other ? Thanks for your reply. I’m new to this. It’s addicting.

Back