diy solar

diy solar

Anker solix f-3800 diy solar array.

Captain Ron

Hello all, looking for a little experience, strength and hope on this one.

The anker f-3800 has two solar inputs. Each will accept a maximum of 1200 watts, 60 volts, and 25 amps.

I want to build a solar array using three 400 w solar panels. I'm trying to figure out what charge controller I need to keep it within the above parameters, or even if I can. Also suggestions on solar panels to do so, living in southwestern Pennsylvania we have plenty of sun but some days are overcast.

I have two f-3800 units. Each unit will accept 2 of these 1200 w solar arrays. I was going to go directly into the f-3800s rather than having a grid tied system.

Suggestions on how to build these 1200 watt solar arrays within the parameters of not exceeding 60 volts and 25 amps.

Another question, does my thinking seem sound not having a grid tied system and using the f-3800s 4kwh batteries to store the solar and use it my home.

Thanks in advance for not only help on this post but all the other post out there. All of you have helped so much in this project.

Captain Ron

Hello Captain 😎. I was just looking at the information about that unit - hadn’t heard about that one yet. Looks very slick. Systems like this (I did EcoFlow to start with) are what lured me into solar to begin with.

First, to answer your initial questions: All the 400 watt panels I have and have looked at are in the 40-50 volt range. Maybe there are some low voltage ones but I haven’t run across them. At that voltage you won’t be able to do anything but put three of them in parallel to each of the solar inputs on the F3800 or you would be over the voltage limit. You’ll need to use heavier gauge PV wire to handle the amps you’ll be pulling. You wouldn’t use separate charge controllers with a system like this - just use the built in charge controllers.

Having said all that, you’ll be paying a premium for extra batteries and whatnot for a system like this. You already have the units and you would probably take a bath selling them and switching, however if you expect to want to expand much it will be more expensive. That’s one of the factors that drove me to eventually sell my EcoFlow stuff and switch to an off-grid all in one system (with grid backup) with rack mount batteries. It’s just way less money and with high voltage charge controllers you have a lot more flexibility as far as your solar array goes. But hey- if you have the money and just like that particular system it does look like a nice one.

I'm trying to figure out what charge controller I need to keep it within the above parameters, or even if I can.
Yup, as stated above you don't need any other components or devices, you just plug the panels directly into your unit.

Suggestions on how to build these 1200 watt solar arrays within the parameters of not exceeding 60 volts and 25 amps.
You need to look at the VOC of the panels.

Are you trying to do just one array of 1200 Watts?
Or are you saying that you want to do two 1200 Watt arrays, into each input port?

Either way you still have the 60 Volt limit to contend with.

It is going to be a balancing act. Trying to find something that will easily fit those parameters.

Edit:
I have done a whole bunch of calculations and I can't seem to get much over 1000 Watts input with that weird hard limit of 60v.

Last edited:
Buying hard-coded DC optimizers might work for this niche use case.

For each MPPT, have 3*400W of panels.
Buy 3 optimizers off AliExpress, telling the seller to configure them to 60V output and setup in 3P with fused combiner.

Hopefully the MPPT can take slightly over 25A without blowing up.

60V is pretty painful to work with. AFAIK none of the standard cell configurations will be able to get close. Which is why I suggested using optimizers to cheat. For better or worse.

Hello Captain 😎. I was just looking at the information about that unit - hadn’t heard about that one yet. Looks very slick. Systems like this (I did EcoFlow to start with) are what lured me into solar to begin with.

First, to answer your initial questions: All the 400 watt panels I have and have looked at are in the 40-50 volt range. Maybe there are some low voltage ones but I haven’t run across them. At that voltage you won’t be able to do anything but put three of them in parallel to each of the solar inputs on the F3800 or you would be over the voltage limit. You’ll need to use heavier gauge PV wire to handle the amps you’ll be pulling. You wouldn’t use separate charge controllers with a system like this - just use the built in charge controllers.

Having said all that, you’ll be paying a premium for extra batteries and whatnot for a system like this. You already have the units and you would probably take a bath selling them and switching, however if you expect to want to expand much it will be more expensive. That’s one of the factors that drove me to eventually sell my EcoFlow stuff and switch to an off-grid all in one system (with grid backup) with rack mount batteries. It’s just way less money and with high voltage charge controllers you have a lot more flexibility as far as your solar array goes. But hey- if you have the money and just like that particular system it does look like a nice one.
I did make the purchase but the units and the smart panel has not been shipped. To be honest I've been thinking about canceling and looking into other options because I've been looking into rack mount as well.

It seems just as easy as the eco flow or the Anker systems. I was attracted to the all-in-one units initially because I didn't really know a whole lot about the subject, but now as I'm getting to understand it's become easier to see less expensive and more expandable options.

I think I might cancel I can always repurchase if I want to but this will give me time to rethink. What kind of system are you putting in now that you sold the EcoFlow?

Yup, as stated above you don't need any other components or devices, you just plug the panels directly into your unit.

You need to look at the VOC of the panels.

Are you trying to do just one array of 1200 Watts?
Or are you saying that you want to do two 1200 Watt arrays, into each input port?

Either way you still have the 60 Volt limit to contend with.

It is going to be a balancing act. Trying to find something that will easily fit those parameters.

Edit:
I have done a whole bunch of calculations and I can't seem to get much over 1000 Watts input with that weird hard limit of 60v.
That's what I have been coming up with as well. It seems I'm getting right to about a thousand Watts.

Cancel it and do more planning

THere’s always another deal. And it’s a buyers market for solar stuff this year

TBH I got pissed after I was jebaited into looking at Anker’s “flashsale” on Kickstarter for some other Solix products. I want my time back

I did make the purchase but the units and the smart panel has not been shipped. To be honest I've been thinking about canceling and looking into other options because I've been looking into rack mount as well.

It seems just as easy as the eco flow or the Anker systems. I was attracted to the all-in-one units initially because I didn't really know a whole lot about the subject, but now as I'm getting to understand it's become easier to see less expensive and more expandable options.

I think I might cancel I can always repurchase if I want to but this will give me time to rethink. What kind of system are you putting in now that you sold the EcoFlow?
I think you’re thinking wisely 😎. Hard to be patient before pulling the trigger but saves you headaches and $$$$ down the road.

I have had great experiences with both the EG4 3000EHV and eventually upgraded to the 6000xp (which is much nicer IMHO). Paired with three of the 48v EG4 LL-S 5.1kWh batteries. I’m planning to eventually add another 6000xp and another few batteries to run pretty much the whole house. I’ve had zero issues - especially compared to the EcoFlow firmware issues I fought with for months.

I would start with an energy monitor like the Emporia Vue or something similar that can track your energy usage down to the individual circuit level to understand your loads to be able to pick a system that really meets your needs.

To that I'll add that Anker isn't necessarily amazing outside of their core competency (they've had some pretty epic fails)... and if you buy brands that people on the forums you frequent use, at least you have peer to peer support if everything else goes to hell.

I think you’re thinking wisely 😎. Hard to be patient before pulling the trigger but saves you headaches and $$$$ down the road.

I have had great experiences with both the EG4 3000EHV and eventually upgraded to the 6000xp (which is much nicer IMHO). Paired with three of the 48v EG4 LL-S 5.1kWh batteries. I’m planning to eventually add another 6000xp and another few batteries to run pretty much the whole house. I’ve had zero issues - especially compared to the EcoFlow firmware issues I fought with for months.

I would start with an energy monitor like the Emporia Vue or something similar that can track your energy usage down to the individual circuit level to understand your loads to be able to pick a system that really meets your needs.
Thank you so much for your experience. I did cancel and I'm going to rethink this whole thing. I've been looking at the EG for and the 6000 XP on YouTube. Very impressive.

Looking for some advice, my f3800 arrived a few weeks ago and it seem awesome. I plan on using it for emergency home backup but I have been thinking I would like to try to take advantage of the solar inputs. I have 27 of these Q Cells - 480 Watt Q.Peak Duo XL-G10.3 78 Cell Solar Panels that were already professionally installed into a grid tie system. This used up most of the usable space on my roof but I do have enough space on garage to install 4-6 more of the same 480 q.peak panels that I would I was thinking could be wired up in parallel. I was thinking of wiring 3 panels in each string wired in parallel, but I'm looking for advice on the wiring. I have probably 75ft-100ft distance to route the cable under existing panels on roof and down to the F3800, so I'm looking at 100ft 10 AWG mc4 cable and then using a 10AWG mc4 to Xt60 adapter. Is it as simple as running the mc4 cable from the solar panels directly to the f3800 or will i need a breaker or something to disconnect if not being used.

Back