diy solar

diy solar

MPP solar lvx6048wp won't restart...fault F32 or F03!

Lstyles

I have two Lvx6048wp in parallel purchased from watts247 March 2022 (these were from the first batch of this model). I updated the firmware to U 101.19 as recommended by Ian at watts247 as soon as the inverters arrived at my house. I took them to Mexico last Fall and had installer set them up off grid (no grid available). They worked fine with 10K solar input and 30Kw batteries (3 x 10k GSL). There may have been a later firmware update to this model but since everything was working well I decided to keep things as is. I then added solar assistant using orange Pi to inverter #1. It only read inverter #1 though I had heard it might be able to read both with just one cable to one inverter if they were in parallel. I read somewhere else that sometimes you have to add a second cable to other inverter because the serial numbers are the same. Since I couldn’t read the second inverter I bought another cable.

So today I shut down the inverter #2 (PV input, battery and AC load) and plugged in the second cable from solar assistant. Originally, I think I turned on the battery switch and then the solar and it turned itself on right away without me pressing the cold start button. I got a F32 warning (“DC/DC overcurrent”) and then all the buttons were not responsive anymore (e.g. I cant turn on the inverter with the left pointing arrow). Manual says to restart inverter. I shut everything off and did that again and this time started by switching on the battery (left PV off) and then pressing the cold start button on the side of inverter and it gives me fault code 3 (“BUS soft start time out”, more ominous as it says possible cause is “internal components failed”). I turned everything off again and turned on battery switch. Since the inverter doesn’t start unless I press the cold start button on side when only the battery switch is on (ie PV off) and doing that before produced the F3 fault code I decided to turn on battery switch, wait a minute, and then turned on PV which immediately started it up and I get F32 again. So I am left with two different fault codes no matter what order I switch things on. I didn’t want to try just starting it with the PV because I thought maybe the inverter is supposed to be on first. As I stopped to think about things I do seem to remember seeing F32 flash up on that particular inverter a couple of times on the day before I started to add the new cable during that same time of day the day before. It literally was there for just a split second so didn’t give it another thought. I was also started thinking that maybe I turned on the PV first and that was a problem but these inverters can run without battery so not sure why that would damage it.

Initially I was thinking that maybe there was too much power coming in from PV as it was high noon and full sun and maybe it saw the full brunt of the PV before it was turned on completely. Hoping that I didn’t burn anything up inside the inverter with what I had done previously, I waited until dark when there was no PV input and switched on the battery on and PV on (in that order) and pressed cold start and within about 30 seconds it gets a F03 fault.

I searched the internet to see if there was anything posted about these errors and found one post about something similar for fault F32 and it seems like he ended up needing to replace the main board (?) after talking with Mpp solar (they sent him one). Another post indicated that sometimes the inverter will default back to grid settings (it was set up for off-grid before this happened) and maybe hooking up a computer to it with the software can switch it back to off-grid. My installer has the software on his computer so I could ask him to come out and try that if that has worked for others. Of course, this doesnt address the F03 fault when starting on only battery (no PV on) so there may be some bad hardward at work here. Hoping it doesn’t come down to that but we will be leaving Mexico to return to US in a couple of days and so I have to figure things out in while I am here in case I will need to take any defective part when I leave.

Feeling very foolish as I seemed to have taken a system that was running perfectly and now only half works (the other inverter is doing fine) by wanting to monitor the whole system! It just doesn’t seem right that turning off one inverter would cause all this trouble.
Any ideas about things I can do or what to check inside the inverter? Thanks in advance!

Sorry for very long post but it always seems better to give you guys as much information as possible.

Hi LStyles,

I have one older LVX6048WP and one new. The last firmware upgrade that I received from MPP for the older unit was U 101.39. I had to upgrade both the old version inverter and the new version inverter to this level firmware before they would synchronize. After doing that, the inverters ran without fault for over a month. My settings were OFG1, SNU, SUB. (feed to grid not allowed, solar charges battery then utility, load fed by solar then utility then battery.
I recently changed settings to OGG1, SOL, SBu. Only solar charges battery and after solar battery supplies load and then grid takes over when battery is low.

I had a couple of F32 trips last night. The trips were caused by too much load. Close dryer on high temp and the large burner on the Samsung stove was on. The inverters should have been able to take the load. I opened the door on the dryer to keep it from restarting and then checked the load at the inverters. The combined output load on each phase was changing from 5 amps to 18 and back to 5 amps. The stove is a Samsung and the change in amperage is the infinite switch opening and closing to regulate the temperature.

My observations:
The dryer restarted itself every time the power turned back on and caused the inverters to fault on F32. After opening the dryer door to keep the dryer from restarting, the inverters started up with the stove element still turned on.
I've only recently changed the settings to use battery after solar. This may be the first time this combination of appliances has been on since the change.

In your case do you think a high load may have been coming back on as soon as you started the inverters?

Sorry for delay in answering your post as I didn’t get notice someone had answered my original post.
Thanks for your ideas. Unfortunately, my problem wasn’t because of too much load as I don’t have any high load appliances on my system except for the induction stove that was not on during any of my multiple attempts to start up this inverter. The other working inverter was having no trouble handling all the other loads and wasn’t even at 1/2 capacity.
My plan is to turn off both inverters and see if starting the problem inverter by itself gives same codes when the other one isn’t on. That way I can isolate the problem to that inverter vs a problem with its connection to the other inverter. I didn’t try this whole in Mexico because I had to work while there and couldn’t risk not having internet if something went wrong with the “good” inverter. Also it was really hot/humid so not being able to use my mini split would have been very bad. My installer is going to do this for me now that I am back in US. He thinks that the problem is either the settings On the “bad” went back to default or it’s due to needing to restart the whole system (both inverters) at the same time. I did that once before and it went fine. Crossing my fingers but should have some answers soon.

Gib, can you investigate F32 fault further to see if it presents when a large load is running from batteries and rapidly shut down? (Like your dryer turning off the heater cycle when it is warm or your stove turning off the oven or burner? Does it do this with grid disconnected?

Last edited:
Gib, can you investigate F32 fault further to see if it presents when a large load is running from batteries and rapidly shut down? (Like your dryer turning off the heater cycle when it is warm or your stove turning off the oven or burner? Does it do this with grid disconnected?
is there an update on any progress with the F32 error? I also have two of the original LVX6048WP units, and have been getting F72. We should all link up to get answers from MPP.

Sanwizard. Do you get the F32s when large loads shut off rapidly?
Have not seen error F32 yet. I am using off grid 2, and all cabling is the same length for both DC and AC sides.

Here is my design. I use the SMA inverters as AC input to charge my batteries through the LVX6048wp's.

Attachments

• Schematic.jpg
    Schematic.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 8
Hi,
I ended up burning out a mosfet on the main board of the newer inverter. 2nd one from the bottom.
The battery input is on the bottom of the board and PV is at the top so I'm guessing it was related to battery supplied power.
Hard to tell what the sequence of events were that caused the problem. The other inverter was faulted but I'm not sure if it was first or second.

MPP in Taiwan sent a new board and I swapped it out. It is throwing error F81 on start up when it is set to parallel mode (PAL). After a while the other inverter trips on F82. When I disable parallel mode on the first one it runs okay but I just have them charging the batteries for now.
Waiting to hear back from MPP support.

Hi,
I ended up burning out a mosfet on the main board of the newer inverter. 2nd one from the bottom.
The battery input is on the bottom of the board and PV is at the top so I'm guessing it was related to battery supplied power.
Hard to tell what the sequence of events were that caused the problem. The other inverter was faulted but I'm not sure if it was first or second.

MPP in Taiwan sent a new board and I swapped it out. It is throwing error F81 on start up when it is set to parallel mode (PAL). After a while the other inverter trips on F82. When I disable parallel mode on the first one it runs okay but I just have them charging the batteries for now.
Waiting to hear back from MPP support.
Yeah, since I was a good customer, and bought the inverters when they first came out, MPP just told me that the inverters will NOT support gen in connection when in parallel. Only the newer 2022 ot later models support it with the latest firmware.

I bought a 9000W inverter generator just for these units to charge the batteries during a long spell of power outage or bad weather! Pisses me off. The software sucks, your units and others are erroring out or mainboards needing replacement. I bought MPP units based on my experience with the LV6548's which were great, with zero issues, and good reliability.

These are the last Chinese inverters I will buy. Luxpower, Deye, Voltronics, whatever. My units are out of warranty, and cannot function as advertised. As soon as one breaks, thats it. Next time its German engineering for me. Schnieder or SMA.
Yeah, they cost WAY more, but I need reliability. My existing SMA's have been running non-stop since 2008. (They came with the house I bought).

I Hope MPP gets these working well for those that have the newer models, as on paper, these units are an incredible value.
As for me, I stuck with version 1, with no way to update them.

Sanwizard. Do you get the F32s when large loads shut off rapidly?
There was a large load and it may have been running off battery but the load didn't shut off before the inverter tripped. I had to open the dryer door and shut the stove element off before I could restart the inverters.

I found the cause of error code F81 on my inverter. The small PCB at bottom left with the two RJ45 connecters and two sets of 4 wires had burn marks on the diode where the power connector plugs in. (D10)
I swapped in the board from the second inverter to test and the inverter runs okay with the setting on parallel.

Attachments

• PAL comm board back.PNG
    PAL comm board back.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • PAL comm board face.PNG
    PAL comm board face.PNG
    935.1 KB · Views: 11
I have a single inverter that is running in hybrid I mode. It gives me F32 errors whenever my electric hot water heater finished. Oddly if the grid breaker is turned off I never see the error. I haven't gotten anywhere with the issue. Wondering how often you get the fault Gib?

Hi,
Error code F32 is a strange problem. My parallel inverters ran well from October through to January. They started tripping out occasionally in mid afternoon on error code F72. In early March they started tripping every day at around the same time. The weather was very cold with clear skies. I finally realized that the total PV input on each of the inverters was exceeding 8 kilowatts at that time of day because of the cold clear weather.
I was taking the system down to remove one panel on a string for each inverter and I made a mistake. I forgot to turn off the PV switch before turning off the battery switch. It toasted a few components on the main board. Another lesson learned the hard way.

I replaced mainboard with a spare that I have. Error code F32 comes up on startup. I replaced the control board and then the AC board with the same result.
Yesterday during the day I was getting F32 all the time. Last night the error changed to F03. I have an enquiry in to MPP service to see what they recommend.

I have one older inverter running on firmware 7.31 and one newer one running on 1.31. The newer inverter is the problem one right now.

I'll update this when I learn more.

Back