diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark 15k won't boot up correctly.

niccolosartor

OffZeeGrid
I'm having an odd issue with my Sol-Ark 15k. Currently, it is grid tied and I have 4 strings of PV panels using an AP Smart RSD. The AP Smart RSD has its own power supply run to a 240 volt dedicated breaker in my main panel. (Aside - small issue for those considering Sol-Ark: they do have a connection for power to run a RSD but it can only provide 100ma of current. The AP smart RSD needs more so you have to install a dedicated power supply in it's own box)). If I lose grid power (currently) it shuts everything down. Initially, I ran two strings of 5 panels each to the 1st MPTT and two strings of 8 panels to the 2nd MPPT leaving the 3rd open for future expansion. I was getting over 3000 watts on one of the strings and over 2000 on the other at mid-day. Voltage was around 137 volts on one string and 168 on the other (presumably the 8-panel strings).

Today I tried to split out one of the strings to the third MPPT Controller just get some data on which strings were performing the best and see if I had any shading issues. I'm having a problem restarting the inverter. I can't follow the instructions in the manual because I don't have the batteries hooked up yet and if I shut the power down to the RSD it shuts down the output from the panels.

The instructions say (from page 22)

A Turn ON the battery breaker. (won't do anything - I don't have batteries installed yet. Turn on the grid power?)
B PRESS down the power button to the ON position. Wait for the “Normal” LED indicator to turn on. This may take a few minutes. This fails. The "Normal" LED never comes on.
C Turn ON the PV DC disconnect switch. Wait for “DC” LED indicator to turn on. I tried turning the PV DC Disconnect switch on but nothing happened. probably because it's not in "normal" status yet.
D Turn ON the “GRID” breaker. Wait for “AC” LED indicator to turn on. I kind of have to do this first or I don't have any power to start up the inverter or the RSD device. My system goes from the meter to the inverter to my panel so without the inverter at least on pass-through mode nothing works
E Turn ON the “LOAD” and “GEN” breakers. Without the "LOAD" breaker on my panel in the house isn't on so I can't really do anything without the LOAD breaker on

So I'm confused as to why I failed step B. The On/Off button is a bit squirrely as it only BARELY remains depressed when, theoretically, "ON.," but it seems to be about what the diagram in the manual does. There's what appears to be a blue LED ring around it that lights up when it's on and that is on.

Yesterday I had to re-wire some of the PV input strings to move the box that houses the AP Smart device. The same thing happened and I had no solar input for the whole day 🙁. It was late in the day when I finished my task, however, so I thought it was weird and slept on it. I left the ON switch on and the PV DC power switch on and this morning everything was working fine.

Today, after turning off the power to the RSD so I could move one of the strings from MPPT 2 to MPPT3, I couldn't get the "Normal" LED to light up nor get any PV input. I'm stumped what to do so I'll leave it on again now and see if it fixes itself in the morning. Any insight would be appreciated.

Addendum: Left all the switches on overnight and when the sun came out in the morning the "normal" light was on and all three strings were making juice. Maybe nothing works until the system sees enough voltage from the panels? Still stumped.

Last edited:
Back