diy solar

diy solar

MPPT and PWM to same battery?

mmm33732

Currently have a 24v LifePO4 battery being charged/used by a MPPT charger/inverter combo (MPP solar HV-LV2424 (green)). I currently have it set to charge to 28.5v. I was thinking for adding anther small array on a little PWM charger (says it auto selects 12v/24v) to the same battery. (Main reasoning of using a PWM rather than adding in with the LV2424 is a difference in voltage/PV panel specs) Any foreseen issues here?

If its possible, I would only use a GOOD quality PWM on a lifepo4, if one even exist. I just won't trust them with the correct charge settings.

By price alone, that’s probably better than the $8 ones. But even the $8 are useable, just not great.

Except I don’t know how well pwm and MPPT play together, but AFAIK, it doesn’t matter. Charge is charge, more or less.

I've done it, it works fine. About the worst thing that happens is the PWM stops charging .1v sooner than the MPPT. Not a big deal.

For reference on that particular system I have an old 208w house panel talking to an older PowMr 60a MPPT and a Bouge RV 100w panel on an old Harbor Freight PWM controller both connected to the same AGM battery. When the sun is in the right spot and the trees have been trimmed the meter showed only a .1v difference between the battery terminals on each one and 9a on the MPPT and 4a on the PWM so both were as cranked up as they could be.

Last edited:
Those cheap PWMs can be unreliable with charge voltage. Keep a close eye on it. You don't want to damage the battery. I wouldn't trust it.

Those cheap PWMs can be unreliable with charge voltage. Keep a close eye on it. You don't want to damage the battery. I wouldn't trust it.
I recently went through this, but with a cheap MPPT controller. Controller had a default setting to cut off high voltage at 17v. Setting was hidden from view, until I bought the Bluetooth dongle and used their older app. Fortunately the BMS protected against these voltage spikes but repeated spikes can damage the BMS and ruin the battery.

So in other words, before buying anything, especially cheap, do your research to suss out known problems. Or just save some headaches and buy more quality gear from the start.

diy solar

diy solar
Back