diy solar

diy solar

MPPT - Battery Voltage Fluctuation

Mohsin Ali

Hi everyone I'm looking for some input with issues I've been experiencing with my setup that I've recently completed.

The battery was fully charged and the MPPT screen showing "Fully Charged" with constant float voltage of 13.5 volts. I turned ON the off grid inverter connected with same battery in parallel and started running a Fridge, the moment fridge's compressor started, the status on MPPT's screen status changed showing charging current and battery voltage and charging light started to blink again. Uptill here everything was normal apart from the voltage of the battery which started to cycle between 12.7 to 14.1 for some time like 5-10 minutes and then it got stable at 14.1 volts. Now I have 2 questions,
1) Is this the normal behaviour of an MPPT?
2) Will the battery be harmed in this process of fluctuating voltages.
3) If battery remains at bulk voltage for long time due to simultaneous load then will it hurt the battery?
4) Is it not recommended to run both processes simultaneously like charging the battery with MPPT and running a load with an inverter?
Also photo of my setup attached for reference

Attachments

• IMG-20240319-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20240319-WA0006.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 11
Yes, No, No, makes no difference, energy flows to the loads and the battery only consumes energy if needed

Everything seems to be operating as expected.
And yes, you can run everything at the same time.

Back