diy solar

diy solar

PowMr 60a MPPT voltage spikes in boost mode?

AlexMartel

I recently installed a PowMR 60a mppt charge controller
4 LifeP04 100ah battery bank in parallel
I have a 12v 3000w inverter
When the unit goes into boost mode I see it spiking charging voltages up to 20+ volts. This causes the inverter over voltage protection error
Any ideas why this is happening?

What are your Boost voltage settings? You might lower them a bit if it is causing a cell to spike high forcing BMS disconnect and than your SCC does not cut back quick enough to prevent a high voltage to inverter situation. Conservative charging values when a LiFePo4 battery is new helps prevent issues.

I did try lowering that boost voltage from 14.5 to 13.5 but hasn’t gone back to boost mode yet to see if any change. Thanks for the suggestion.

I did try lowering that boost voltage from 14.5 to 13.5 but hasn’t gone back to boost mode yet to see if any change. Thanks for the suggestion.
Yeah 14.5vDC is a bit too much I would set about 14 to 14.2vDC. 13.5vDC likely would not get you into the BMS passive balance range.

I have been using Powmr for a couple years and have now replaced them with an Outback 80A. Main reason was inexplicable over voltage. Settings were 27.7V and yet the output would rise to 30.5V. A couple times it tripped my over voltage circuit. I re entered voltage parameters and it would again over voltage. $450 for an Outback 80A vs new LFPs, easy choice.

Back