diy solar

diy solar

Need help with PowMr 3000W 24V Solar Inverter Charger parameters settings

I have the CHINS 3000W Inverter and here is what the manual shows for it's settings. Some of the settings you show for CHINS are different than my manual so not sure what is going on there and the reason for posting this. Now I am confused. CHINS Manual in RED. Values in RED are the default values in the manual.

PowMr 3000W 24V Solar Inverter Charger parameters list:

04 Battery Power to Utility Setpoint, 23.0V

05 Utility to Battery Power Setpoint, 28.0V

07 Max Charger Current, 40A (My Choice) (Default 80A) (AC charger + PV Charger)

08 Battery Type (LF08) SAME

09 Boost Charge Voltage (Chins recommended 28.4V), (if assuming terminology for Boost Charge Voltage=Charging Limit Voltage 28.8V

10 Boost Charge Duration (120min) (if this is even adjustable with in specified Battery Type of LF08) SAME

11 Float Charge Voltage (Chins recommended 27.6V) SAME

12 Low Voltage Disconnect (Chins recommended 23.2V) 21.0V

13 Battery Over-discharged Delay Time (30sec) 5 Sec

14 Battery Under-voltage Alarm (Chins recommended 25.6V) 22.0V

15 Battery Discharge Limit Voltage (23.0 v) 20.0V

16 Set Equalization Charging (DISABLED) SAME

17 Battery Equalization Voltage (N/A) SAME

18 Battery Equalization Duration (N/A) SAME

19 Battery Equalization Time-delay (N/A) SAME

20 Equalization Interval (N/A) SAME

21 Enable Equalization Immediately (DISABLED) SAME

22 Power-saving Mode (ENABLED) SAME

28 Maximum AC Charging Current (40a) 20A (My Choice) (Default 80A)

35 Low Voltage Disconnect Recovery (Chins recommended 24.8V) 27.0V

36 PV Charging Current (60A) 20A (My Choice) (Default 60A)

37 Battery Charging Boost Return Setpoint (26.4V) 26.0V
We do not have a Chins Inverter. Ours is a PowMr Inverter Charger (all-in-one). Our manual for it indicates Default values as well, but I thought perhaps they were generalized values and wanted to make sure that whatever values i input would not jeopardize the batteries in any way. I notice that some of the Default values for Your inverter differ from the Default values of our inverter, i.e. as in Parameter #7 Maximum Charging Current in yours is 80A, in mine is 60A and the latest recommendation we received form Chins recommends 40A.

As per my last post 20 (we are getting criss-crossed in our responses.) ?
As per P7 I do have mine set to 40A so at least that is right. As far as the rest of the parameters I am not so sure what they should be. Also usually the manufacturer of the batteries you are using gives the parameter values you should use for their batteries. I could not get any answers from my battery manufacturer.

As per my last post 20 (we are getting criss-crossed in our responses.) ?
As per P7 I do have mine set to 40A so at least that is right. As far as the rest of the parameters I am not so sure what they should be. Also usually the manufacturer of the batteries you are using gives the parameter values you should use for their batteries. I could not get any answers from my battery manufacturer.
We ordered Chins 12v 200AH LiFePo4 batteries that we will be installing in 2S/2P array to end up with 24V 400AH. That being said, we reached out to Chins technical dept. with all the info I provided in my original post for all the parameters needed for our PowMr 3000W 24v Solar Inverter Charger. In the meantime, while waiting for a response, I began posting on this forum to assist with the parameter values in case Chins did not pull through.

A few days ago I received from Chins the following info:

Charging
Charging Limit Voltage: 28.4V
Over Voltage Disconnect Voltage: 29.2V
Over Voltage Reconnect Voltage: 27.6V
Float Charging Voltage: 27.6V
Discharging
Low Voltage Disconnect Voltage: 23.2V
Low Voltage Reconnect Voltage: 24.8V
Under Voltage Warning Voltage: 25.6V

This morning, I received the following response from Chins:

24V 3000W configuration CHINS battery, please set the following parameters.
01:SOL
02:60
03:UPS
04:23.2
05:27.6V
06:SNU
07:40A (0.2C)
08:LF08
09:28.4V
10:120min
11:28.4V
12:22V
13: 5S default
14:24.8V
15:22.2V
16,17,18,19,20,21: not applicable
22:EAN
23:EAN
24:EAN
25:EAN
26 :ENA def
27 :ENA def
28:40A (0.2C)
29:
35:25.6
36:40A (0.2C)
37:27.8V

What I now have determined is that there are discrepancies between the two responses from Chins (probably due to coming from two different technicians (??). Rather than retyping all the parameter names again in this response, You can refer back to my earlier lists. :giggle:

09. Boost / max charge 28.4 means you are charging first stage to 3.55 volts per cell near maximum.
10. Don't know if this is applicable as continually being charged / discharged
11. Float voltage is higher than rest voltage, so i don't think it well ever happen...But lithium does not need float voltage ..applicable to lead acid
12. 14, 15 ....reference the BMS voltage on the battery when setting these.. Also consider duration after sun drops to sun up... my inverter consumes internal power from battery..@ 1amp per hour.. battery will need to have sufficient capacity to last the night without cutting out on low BMS voltage...
I don't have a POWMR but, Will the inverter even run from a genie if the battery is locked out under voltage.?
22. ?
28. What does the battery say about maximum charge current.
35. If the battery is locked out due to under voltage how do you re-charge it to 24.8v without a power source?
36.Max PV charging current is based from your pv amperage..????
37. Battery will start re-charging after it has depleted to 26.4v(70% capacity)

I am new to Solar but have already come up with some problems associated to the above low voltage settings... The most critical been associated to when to cut the battery off and revert back to grid.. On two occassions i have had the house in darkness because the battery has locked out due to putting to low voltage settings in. When I have come to rectify the issues i have found my battery BMS shows an individual cell voltage below 2.8 v(x8 =22.4v) and the other cells at 3.1v (x7=21.7) +2.8=24.5v even though the inverter is showing 23.5v.... The 1 cell tripped the battery.
So be very careful how low you and compare with the battery BMS. ( I have Blue tooth bms so i can see the actual battery conditions)

Low Voltage Disconnect Recover is greater than Low Voltage Disconnect (at least 2V smaller) is less than Discharge Limit Voltage **(Discrepancy here: Chins recommends Low Voltage Disconnect Recover (“Reconnect”) at 24.8v and Low Voltage Disconnect at 23.2v, (only 1.6v smaller not 2V as suggested).......
So the inverter cuts out at 23.2v then can be used as source again after it has reached minimum 24.8v.... sounds ok
for #36 Max PV Charging current...I have 12 panels each rated at 195W, with a Nominal Voltage of 18volts, with a Maximum/Peak Voltage of 21.6volts and a Maximum/Peak Current(Imp) of 9.02A all connected to a 6-string combiner box. How would I figure Max PV charging currents?

for #36 Max PV Charging current...I have 12 panels each rated at 195W, with a Nominal Voltage of 18volts, with a Maximum/Peak Voltage of 21.6volts and a Maximum/Peak Current(Imp) of 9.02A all connected to a 6-string combiner box. How would I figure Max PV charging currents?
If all 12 panels are connected in series then amps =9.02a, voltage = 21.6v x 12=264v w=2381

But if I have interpreted what you have said above
If they are connected 6 strings of 2 in parallel=
2 in series =9.02a,voltage =2 x 21.6v=43.2v
then 6 in parallel =9.02 x 6= 54a, voltage =43.2v w=2332

In the listing above it suggests max charge amp from inverter to battery =02c =40a... 20% of a 200ah battery. Your peak solar pv output is 54a. at 43.2vdc available to the inverter

Last edited:
Reactions: mib
@Chri5co63 I am going to set my CHINS to the parameters in post #23 because they look more realistic than the defaults and I will let you know what happens.

If all 12 panels are connected in series then amps =9.02a, voltage = 21.6v x 12=264v w=2381

But if I have interpreted what you have said above
If they are connected 6 strings of 2 in parallel=
2 in series =9.02a,voltage =2 x 21.6v=43.2v
then 6 in parallel =9.02 x 6= 54a, voltage =43.2v w=2332

In the listing above it suggests max charge amp from inverter to battery =02c =40a... 20% of a 200ah battery. Your peak solar pv output is 54a. at 43.2vdc available to the inverter
This is our setup with connections as shown (less the separate inverter and charge controller as we’ve replaced those with the on MrPow inverter charger…
IMG_9077.jpg

Last edited:
It seems to me that we are talking about AIO SRNE, this is a manufacturer, powmr brand

my version is 220 volt
IMG_20230211_174958.jpg
it says here, the maximum current from the panels is 40 amperes

2s6p you get 54 amps which is more than 40 amps

maybe 3s4p is better for you

also note there is a maximum pv power parameter of 1600 watts, which is less than 2332 watts

Are your solar panels already connected?

i also want to go over 1600 watts, my panels are 595 watts in a 2s2p circuit i fit into 80 volts and 36 amps, 2380 watts

IMG_5898.jpg

but i have feelings about it :)

It seems to me that we are talking about AIO SRNE, this is a manufacturer, powmr brand

my version is 220 volt
View attachment 135182

also note there is a maximum pv power parameter of 1600 watts, which is less than 2332 watts

i also want to go over 1600 watts, my panels are 595 watts in a 2s2p circuit i fit into 80 volts and 36 amps, 2380 watts

View attachment 135187

The following is a link for the manual for our PowMister Solar Charger.
One can find on pp. 31-32, the Technical Specifications. The listed Maximum Input Current is 60A and the PV Charging Current Range is 0-60A.

The following is a picture of the label on one of our solar panels...

IMG_4428.jpg

Energy Miser
Mark Durrenberger’s Blog — writing about homes and energy.

What Does Solar “Inverter Clipping” Mean?​

November 2, 2017
The short answer is that “inverter clipping” means your solar inverter is limiting slightly the amount of electricity going from your solar energy system into your household for use, because it reached its maximum capacity.
Here’s a longer explanation.
For background you should know that, like solar panel ratings, inverter ratings are approximate. Many inverters can convert more DC power (from your panels) to AC (for use in your home or business) than their model numbers imply. For example, the maximum power output of the SolarEdge SE7600A is actually 8,350 watts, according to the manufacturer. So the inverter has no problem handling up to 8,350 watts of capacity at a time.
If the panels are operating at a capacity that exceeds the inverter’s capacity, “clipping” occurs. The inverter trims the output to the maximum it can handle and you lose a little production. This graph shows a customer’s production with clipping at the top of the curve.

Reference above "clipping" If the panel output is greater than the inverter spec......

The following is a link for the manual for our PowMister Solar Charger.
One can find on pp. 31-32, the Technical Specifications. The listed Maximum Input Current is 60A and the PV Charging Current Range is 0-60A
I have exactly the same instruction, but on the side panel of the AIO there are these 1600 watts and 40 amps

can you take a photo sticker of your AIO's specs?

do you already have everything working? and you want to change only the battery or the system is just planned?

Energy Miser
Mark Durrenberger’s Blog — writing about homes and energy.

What Does Solar “Inverter Clipping” Mean?​

November 2, 2017
The short answer is that “inverter clipping” means your solar inverter is limiting slightly the amount of electricity going from your solar energy system into your household for use, because it reached its maximum capacity.
Here’s a longer explanation.
For background you should know that, like solar panel ratings, inverter ratings are approximate. Many inverters can convert more DC power (from your panels) to AC (for use in your home or business) than their model numbers imply. For example, the maximum power output of the SolarEdge SE7600A is actually 8,350 watts, according to the manufacturer. So the inverter has no problem handling up to 8,350 watts of capacity at a time.
If the panels are operating at a capacity that exceeds the inverter’s capacity, “clipping” occurs. The inverter trims the output to the maximum it can handle and you lose a little production. This graph shows a customer’s production with clipping at the top of the curve.

Reference above "clipping" If the panel output is greater than the inverter spec......
Aha. Nice article! In another...
"Inverters are most efficient when running at or near full capacity. Going up an inverter size, for example installing an SE-10,000 inverter with a 7,500-watt system, would make the system less efficient. The lost production in that scenario would be more than the little bit of production lost from occasional clipping.
Makes me wonder if our inverter is too large compared to the PV Input wattage.

Put another way, the choice is lower efficiency 365 days a year, or very high efficiency year-round with occasional clipping. You get considerably more solar production in the second scenario." - (Mark Durrenberger’s Blog — writing about homes and energy.)

my version is 220 volt
View attachment 135182

View attachment 135187

Yes, the solar panels have been connected since last summer. We connected them according to the Eco-Worthy Kit setup instructions.

I don't think it overly matters if the panels give out a little more than the inverter is rated at ,,,, possibly up to 20% but it is important you are aware of it. Especially If like in the Uk there is little chance of achieving maximum solar output.

or very high efficiency year-round with occasional clipping
that's exactly my goal
I don't think it overly matters if the panels give out a little more than the inverter is rated at ,,,, possibly up to 20% but it is important you are aware of it. Especially If like in the Uk there is little chance of achieving maximum solar output.
1600/2400 turns out 50% but is fully invested in the parameters for both current and voltage

but you calmed me down a bit :)

i plan to do the following settings for lifepo4 140 ah 24 voltss battery

04 26 (3,25) v
05 26,4 (3,3) v
07 40 amper
08 USE
09 Boost charge - 27,6 (3,45) v
10 Boost charge time - 120 min
11 Floating charge - 27,6 (3,45) v
12 Over discharge voltage - 24 (3) v
13 Over discharge time - 30 sec
14 Under voltage alarm - 24,8 (3,1) v
15 Discharge limit - 24,4 (3,05) v
17 Equalization voltage - 27,6(3,45) v
28 Max AC charger current - 10 amper
35 Undervoltage recovery - 25,6 (3,2) v
36 Max PV charger current - 40 amper
37 fully charged recovery - 26,8 (3,35) v

my goal is to use the battery as little as possible, during normal times, to save it during city grid outages

I have exactly the same instruction, but on the side panel of the AIO there are these 1600 watts and 40 amps

can you take a photo sticker of your AIO's specs?

do you already have everything working? and you want to change only the battery or the system is just planned?
The system has been up and running (charging 4 12v Lead Acid Gel batteries connected in 2S/2P for 24v) since las summer. At this time, we are only replacing the batteries with 4 Chins LiFePo4 12v 200AH batteries connected in 2S/2P for 24v.

Currently, I am not at the cavin where the solar array is, so I cannot supply you with a photo of the side sticker. I believe you can find the same information on pages 31-32 in the manual in the following link:

(i.e. In the above manual, on page 32, under the Solar (PV) Charging section, it reads Max Input Power as 1400w and Maximum Input Current as 60A)

However, When I look up the inverter on Amazon (where it was purchased), I find the following photo (not of the sticker, but "brochure"):
IMG_9079.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4428.jpg
    IMG_4428.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 10
i plan to do the following settings for lifepo4 140 ah 24 voltss battery

04 26 (3,25) v
05 26,4 (3,3) v
07 40 amper
08 USE
09 Boost charge - 27,6 (3,45) v
10 Boost charge time - 120 min
11 Floating charge - 27,6 (3,45) v
12 Over discharge voltage - 24 (3) v
13 Over discharge time - 30 sec
14 Under voltage alarm - 24,8 (3,1) v
15 Discharge limit - 24,4 (3,05) v
17 Equalization voltage - 27,6(3,45) v
28 Max AC charger current - 10 amper
35 Undervoltage recovery - 25,6 (3,2) v
36 Max PV charger current - 40 amper
37 fully charged recovery - 26,8 (3,35) v

my goal is to use the battery as little as possible, during normal times, to save it during city grid outages
what are parameters 04 and 05

Back