diy solar

diy solar

Powmr 5kw all in one controller/inverter settings help

ChrisB1234

Hey all,

So I have currently the following setup.

4* 100ah lifePo batteries connected in series for 48v
A PowMr 5kw all in one controller/inverter
7* 200w 12v solar panels connected in series for max 1400w charging.

The biggest problem I have is the settings within the powmr unit, my batteries all check out ok and my solar array on a good day pushes 1360w through the breaker into the powmr unit. But even without any AC output load, it will only ever push half that amount into the batteries, and it is always exactly half of what I measure coming in

If anyone has one of these units connected to a 48v battery, please give me a list of your settings.

What is your setting for max total charge current and max PV charge current?
What is the max charge current of your 12v batteries BMS?
Have you verified the readings with a shunt and/or clamp meter?

For clarity the panels aren't pushing power the mppt is pulling it.

Welcome to the forum.

Max PV charge current I don't see that in the settings.
Max charge current is set at 58v (Battery says max 58.6) or if you mean Amps then max 60
Yes I verified the reading with my multimeter, in good sun the PV array is being pulled by :) 190 ish volts at around 7amps obviously fluctuating. So a decent chunk of the max 1400w

Thanks.

Max PV charge current I don't see that in the settings.
Do you have a link for the manual? I thought I had an SRNE (oem) 5k downloaded but can't find it.
Max charge current is set at 58v (Battery says max 58.6) or if you mean Amps then max 60
? Current = amps.
I would reduce your bulk voltage to 55V, 56V max. I'd also set your float voltage ~54V.
Yes I verified the reading with my multimeter, in good sun the PV array is being pulled by :) 190 ish volts at around 7amps obviously fluctuating. So a decent chunk of the max 1400w
It sounds like you have your panels nicely oriented 👍🏻
You're welcome.

I'm a bit perplexed at what could be causing this. There are some efficiency losses to account for but nothing close to what you are seeing.

Did you charge each 12V battery fully before connecting them in series?
Would you mind sharing a photo(s) of your setup?

Manual https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...-3b82-46b3-9aa0-83158706c6b4.pdf?v=1686627207

Not sure on the current float voltage will check in the morning. Same for the photo

No I didn't charge them I so assumed they were fully charged.

from batteries 3ft 2awg to the breakers, then 12" same thickness to inverter.
Maybe 20ft 6awg for the PV array to the breaker then maybe about 12" to the inverter, so not much line loss I hope.

It was a clouds day today, and by the end of the day they were at 49.6 volts, no load all day. tried to use them, they ran the 32" tv and a couple of phone charges for about 30 mins before it shutdown. Back on the Jenny tonight :)

What's your value for setting 07?
Not sure on the current float voltage will check in the morning. Same for the photo

No I didn't charge them I so assumed they were fully charged.

I'm betting the 12V batteries are out of balance and need charged to 100% before being out in series, they do not ship with a full charge.
It's typically frowned upon to series 12V to make a 48v pack.
from batteries 3ft 2awg to the breakers, then 12" same thickness to inverter.
Maybe 20ft 6awg for the PV array to the breaker then maybe about 12" to the inverter, so not much line loss I hope.
Shouldn't cause and issues.

It was a clouds day today, and by the end of the day they were at 49.6 volts, no load all day. tried to use them, they ran the 32" tv and a couple of phone charges for about 30 mins before it shutdown. Back on the Jenny tonight :)
Are you able to see BMS info for each 12V battery?

What's your value for setting 07? Currently set to

I'm betting the 12V batteries are out of balance and need charged to 100% before being out in series, they do not ship with a full charge.
It's typically frowned upon to series 12V to make a 48v pack. Opps there's the rookie mistake

Shouldn't cause and issues. :)

Are you able to see BMS info for each 12V battery? No

Last edited:
I'm out in the middle of nowwhere so charging the batteries individually isn't possible I guess as this unity requires a 48v connection, at least that's what I am led to believe, I will have to find sometime to go get a battery charger and run it from the Jenny.

Attachments

• IMG_0439.JPG
    IMG_0439.JPG
    287.7 KB · Views: 9
Hey all,

So I have currently the following setup.

4* 100ah lifePo batteries connected in series for 48v
A PowMr 5kw all in one controller/inverter
7* 200w 12v solar panels connected in series for max 1400w charging.

The biggest problem I have is the settings within the powmr unit, my batteries all check out ok and my solar array on a good day pushes 1360w through the breaker into the powmr unit. But even without any AC output load, it will only ever push half that amount into the batteries, and it is always exactly half of what I measure coming in

If anyone has one of these units connected to a 48v battery, please give me a list of your settings.
Are you looking at the right readings for incoming and outgoing? I will mention that my PowMr units are not great at having exact current readings which means calculated wattage is off.

Since you are unlikely to be bringing in twice the power as you are charging the batteries (with no other load) (loads drive everything) without melting down your AIO something else is going on.

If you have a clamp on DC ammeter and a DMM you can double check things.

I do have one of these that I can use would it be possible to rig this up to charge the batteries or am I dreaming and should I just get in the truck and do the 100mile round trip to the nearest harbour freight to pick up a battery charger.

In theory couldn't I connect this to the dc connection (battery) of the inverter and it would step down the 48v to 12v thus allowing me to charge the batteries individually

Two thoughts,

First, you should get a 4 lead active balancer and hook to your batteries. This takes power from one battery and puts it into the others until the are all even. The active balancer moves power around at 3 to 5 amps depending on model. Passive balancers do the same thing but usually only at 250milliamps.

If you don't add a balancer to the series connected batteries you will have to periodically disconnect them and charge all to max then put them back in series.

For balancing the batteries out where you are you can just disconnect them all and wire in parallel with each other for anything from days to weeks depending on how out of sync they are.

You can always get a 48v to 12v buck converter and hook to your pv, but that will cost what the active balancer will.

Sorry didn’t see your device, it will work for now, but you still need the balancer to keep the batteries in sync. It will probably take a day per battery. Or you checking until each battery is very close to the same level.

Sorry, no second thought, it fell out while I was typing and broke when it hit the floor

I did the 100 mile round trip and purchased a conventional 15amp battery charger with a lifePo setting, so currently charging the first of 4, I will update after I have all 4 at max, and will look into getting a balancer.

Well charged all the batteries individually to 13.4v or there abouts +- 0.1v.

Not simple to get them all the same when you have to leave them 30mins after charging to get an accurate reading. I have connected them back to the inverter/charger again and setup the settings according to the battery manufacturers specifications, regards charge voltage, over voltage shutoff and recovery etc etc.

We'll see how today goes, not the greatest sunshine little bit cloudy, but I'm only pulling about 350w of AC load so no way I should run out of juice,. anytime soon

For 60 bucks I can get a balancer so will likely get one of those ordered.

It's starting to shutoff and restart, I have no idea why battery is at 49.4v now from 53v+(after maybe 2 hours). Generally the fridge would take approx. 300w and I used the coffee machine twice, and ran the water heater for about 30mins (that hit the batteries for 3amps) But other than my laptop (I don't believe that uses much) and the fridge there's nothing running.

Current battery load is about 0.04kw as I guess the 3-400w I am using is being provided by the PV.

It's starting to shutoff and restart, I have no idea why battery is at 49.4v now from 53v+(after maybe 2 hours). Generally the fridge would take approx. 300w and I used the coffee machine twice, and ran the water heater for about 30mins (that hit the batteries for 3amps) But other than my laptop (I don't believe that uses much) and the fridge there's nothing running.

Current battery load is about 0.04kw as I guess the 3-400w I am using is being provided by the PV.
Do you have a shunt?
I'd imagine the coffee machine and water heater are power hungry.

13.4V isn't a full charge for LiFePo4.

Do you have a shunt?
I'd imagine the coffee machine and water heater are power hungry.

13.4V isn't a full charge for LiFePo4.
A shunt? I have what's in the photo.

Yes but they didn't run for that long, the coffee machine maybe 5 mins *2 and the water heater for max 30 mins, that shouldn't even make a dent in 48v * 100ah

So they should be charged to 14.6v, I had them charging from the 15amp charger I bought pretty much for the last 2 days. And the max they would take was 13.4, do I need to leave them charging till they get to that amount?

Back