diy solar

diy solar

Need help choosing 48v all-in-one

OK, here is another one.
These are now on Ebay.

I asked the seller if the inverter they have on Ebay was made by SRNE and they asked what that stands for. I have no idea.
But they then told me they are a manufacturer in China for over 20 years. Yet their own website says they started in 2013. Whoops!
Most of these inverter companies operate in the same area of China.

They had a 10KW unit advertised.

Here it is:

told me they are a manufacturer in China for over 20 years. Yet their own website says they started in 2013. Whoops!
While true, and not knowing their worldwide market insertion, I came to the conclusion after several years of lurking and then joining up here; I decided that at least for North America with 120/240 split phase that MPP was the most satisfactory mid-shelf clone brand available- though growatt and a few others may hold the leadership position by volume. A lot of the 120/240 stuff seems to be derivatives of 230V/euro equipment that appear to have been envisioned as an afterthought. Just my opinion from reading; no data or hard facts. I could be wrong🤷‍♂️

Virtually all of these clone brands seem to be ‘purchase order brands’ meaning that otherwise identical equipment may not be identical in software nor identical in the quality and/or testing rigor of the subassemblies and components that populate the processing pcb’s depending on the contract specifications of the purchase order. Just like the various import woodworking and automotive tool brands.
So some- like grizzly tablesaws or blue point & icon mechanics tools- have great performance and customer satisfaction while others are not so good. They just order a container with their own stickers and you get what you get.

So that is - in my opinion- why these (what I call “made up Chinese brands”) not-so-well-known labeled inverters and such at cheap prices are not necessarily worth the $125 you save over the other ‘flavors’ that are more readily known.

Then there’s the customer support factor.

You might be better off just buying something that you don’t have to ask who makes it or what it’s like, plug it in, and run with it.

While true, and not knowing their worldwide market insertion, I came to the conclusion after several years of lurking and then joining up here; I decided that at least for North America with 120/240 split phase that MPP was the most satisfactory mid-shelf clone brand available- though growatt and a few others may hold the leadership position by volume. A lot of the 120/240 stuff seems to be derivatives of 230V/euro equipment that appear to have been envisioned as an afterthought. Just my opinion from reading; no data or hard facts. I could be wrong🤷‍♂️

Virtually all of these clone brands seem to be ‘purchase order brands’ meaning that otherwise identical equipment may not be identical in software nor identical in the quality and/or testing rigor of the subassemblies and components that populate the processing pcb’s depending on the contract specifications of the purchase order. Just like the various import woodworking and automotive tool brands.
So some- like grizzly tablesaws or blue point & icon mechanics tools- have great performance and customer satisfaction while others are not so good. They just order a container with their own stickers and you get what you get.

So that is - in my opinion- why these (what I call “made up Chinese brands”) not-so-well-known labeled inverters and such at cheap prices are not necessarily worth the $125 you save over the other ‘flavors’ that are more readily known.

Then there’s the customer support factor.

You might be better off just buying something that you don’t have to ask who makes it or what it’s like, plug it in, and run with it.
so basically caveat emptor? the US is no longer holding makers feat to the fire hence they get away with more shit than you can shake a stick at. even allowing non UL, NEC or other safety tested gear to sell in the US tells you how worthless the gubbermint is.

that shit should be fed staright into a blast furnace an not allowed on the market.

OK, here is another one.
These are now on Ebay.

I asked the seller if the inverter they have on Ebay was made by SRNE and they asked what that stands for. I have no idea.
But they then told me they are a manufacturer in China for over 20 years. Yet their own website says they started in 2013. Whoops!

They had a 10KW unit advertised.

Here it is:
No idea who makes that but it doesn't look like an SRNE, more like an MPP / Voltronic.

If you want an SRNE I would just order from them direct. The transaction had zero issues (except being shipped to my local post office because I used that address for the shipping quote 😂).
🍻. 👍🏻 👍🏻

If you want an SRNE I would just order from them direct.
Probably the best idea. Looks like your ASF inverter is about $1100 plus shipping from China right now?
It would be nice to be able to buy a Deye without the Sol Ark markup! :) Has here on the forum done that? Seems like Sol Ark made themselves one heck of a marketing deal for North America. I can afford the Sol Ark brand, I just don't want to spend the cash if its not necessary. I need a reasonable payback or else I'll put the money into something else.
I don't need the inverter immediately as I am too busy with work at the moment to setup an array. So I'm still kicking tires.
Plus there is some indication that inverter prices should be falling. I keep reading that residential solar is having difficulty.

Probably the best idea. Looks like your ASF inverter is about $1100 plus shipping from China right now?
Yes, still around $1400 DDP.
It would be nice to be able to buy a Deye without the Sol Ark markup! :) Has here on the forum done that?
I've read of people shipping them south of the border and forwarding them to the US but I didn't want to deal with that.
Seems like Sol Ark made themselves one heck of a marketing deal for North America. I can afford the Sol Ark brand, I just don't want to spend the cash if its not necessary. I need a reasonable payback or else I'll put the money into something else.
I don't need the inverter immediately as I am too busy with work at the moment to setup an array. So I'm still kicking tires.
Plus there is some indication that inverter prices should be falling. I keep reading that residential solar is having difficulty.
They do indeed have NA rights...
I wouldn't know about residential... I don't sell back anything.

Yes, still around $1400 DDP.

I've read of people shipping them south of the border and forwarding them to the US but I didn't want to deal with that.

They do indeed have NA rights...
I wouldn't know about residential... I don't sell back anything.

So the Deye inverters can be obtained in Mexico?

One year in on a 48/3000 AIO - 1001 KWH hours solar in ... 591KWH grid in .. connected a 48v battery I built.
(not final form - missing fuses and switches)

View attachment 197957

The AIO is a Sigineer M4830NC. $900 at the time of purchase. Flawless operation. installed in a lower bay of my Class A RV
(bench mode pic)
View attachment 197958
Do you have a source you used to purchase the metal battery box?

As a short term solution, a genuine MPPT can typically be over-paneled significantly.

If you were to attach your addition panels in a parallel fashion to your existing array/MPPT, you could place your strings at different facings to get max power for longer through the day.

I want to setup 3 pv arrays. A main array that will be pointing due south wired into my EG4. I want to setup two additional arrays: One facing due east and the other facing due west. Are there any issues wiring the east/west arrays in parallel (each array will be the same number of identical panels wired in series) and all that fed into a different MPPT? I have my old MPPT controller. I would like to setup arrays 2 and 3 and put both of them into that controller. I would prefer to not have to buy yet another controller.

Are there any long term issues with doing this? Is this hard on the diodes or the MPPT controller?

I want to setup 3 pv arrays. A main array that will be pointing due south wired into my EG4. I want to setup two additional arrays: One facing due east and the other facing due west. Are there any issues wiring the east/west arrays in parallel (each array will be the same number of identical panels wired in series) and all that fed into a different MPPT?

No.

I have my old MPPT controller. I would like to setup arrays 2 and 3 and put both of them into that controller. I would prefer to not have to buy yet another controller.

Are there any long term issues with doing this?

No.

Is this hard on the diodes or the MPPT controller?

No, provided parallel strings on the same MPPT are the same voltage.

The only downside is if your inverter is tracking SoC, current sent directly to the batteries will not get counted.

Are there any issues wiring the east/west arrays in parallel (
Having experimented with panel orientation with a small system (small systems magnify things, imho, because you’re trying to pluck every photon off the tree and ‘pay’ for it when you don’t get much).

So my theory is that you will get more from those ‘compromise’ arrays SE and SW instead of 90*S and 270*S. I used SE and SW arrays for several years; started as a test, and it immediately exceed my expectations.

The only downside is if your inverter is tracking SoC, current sent directly to the batteries will not get counted.
I have a current shunt to measure SoC for all charging sources and loads. I'm not sure if the 3kw EG4 can track SoC using non-EG4 batteries as I'm using the LiTime 230ah 12v 4x in series.

Thanks again for your helpful advice!

Back