diy solar

diy solar

MTTP 2424lv-pip controller issues update

Jim Burrow

Solar Enthusiast
My Solar project update:

Still plagued with two issues with my solar controller. One (you can almost set your watch by it) at about 3:05 pm +/- 5 minutes, the utility kicks on to supply power to the house and the solar and battery currents drop to zero. There is no reason for this to happen as the sun is high in the sky and almost shining directly on the solar panels. Right before this issue happens, the solar panels are pumping to over 800 watts, and the battery is either fully charged or very close to full charge with no discharge current.

At first, I thought this 3:00 pm issue was due to the summer hot temperature as here in Livermore it has been in the high 90’s and more. To cool down the controller which is also in the ’90s or 3 degrees warmer than the surrounding air, I put a big fun on it. But this didn’t solve the problem.

Although this 3:00 pm issue doesn’t turn off the controller output power, I would have never noticed it if I wasn’t going outside and taking hourly controller readings of voltages, current, and wattage of the battery, Utility, and solar panels.

The other problem is that the controller still turns off for 30 to 40 seconds in the evenings and in the heat of the day and evening when the summer temperature is still 80’s and more. But this morning it turned off with an air temperature of only 60 degrees. However, the battery current was 40 amps or more.

When the power went off this morning, the house was powered by the battery only, but the coffee pot was brewing, and it draws 900 watts. – this issue is still unsolved!

With respect to testing:
I have no way to see if my battery is craping out for a few seconds due to high amperage discharge as I'm never watching the battery the moment the power goes out. The controller only turns off the moment the battery is disconnected from the controller. The controller stays on regardless of the solar or utility is connected.

The battery is an Ampere Time 24V 100Ah Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) Battery and is supposed to handle 100 amps of discharge for a short period of time. But a 40 amp discharge is supposed to continue. During the evening when the house load is supplied only on the battery (the sun has gone down and Utility hasn't kicked on) the average battery discharges current is 25 amps. Never have a problem with those discharge amperages. The battery runs house power for a good 4 hours.

Anyway, just an update in case there are others that are having issues with the solar system.

diy solar

diy solar
Back