diy solar

diy solar

Multi-modal power

UlfSidda

Hello, again with the questions lol. I'm trying to figure out a multi-modal system using the big three greens, solar, wind, and water. How hard is it to get those systems to charge the same batteries and provide power to the same load? What kind of difficulties and equipment could I be looking at?

Lots of options for solar. For wind and water it can get more complicated.

Wind and water might be kept a bit simpler by using a midnite classic, which can work for both.

Most people give up on wind or water though.

I've been seeing a lot of videos on YouTube. Yeah I know we all have a degree in googlology lol, and that's why I go seeking answers elsewhere too. I understand that hydro is a complicated and fussy bugger. I really like to fix and tinker, so I think I'll be alright there, the main reason for hydro, given an appropriate supply of water of course, is that it is there, it doesn't depend on clear skies or the wind not being too fast or too slow. Where I'm at the average windspeed does make wind generation more feasible. We average around 12mph on an annual basis, most generators require a minimum of 4-5 mph to get started. These modern turbines are a gem. Verticals, tulips, etc. I also understand there will always be a difference between design production and actual production. Design production assumes a perfect world. I don't see one of those anywhere nearby. Another perk to hydro generation is the DIYability of the system. You can get as dirty as a pipe, an overshot water wheel and a bank of car alternators to get the voltage where you want it for charging. Not ideal, I totally get it, extremely low efficiency I get it, but it is doable. I think that's a major part of the appeal honestly. Plus I imagine myself using massive amounts of power. Between the different shops, and then the house, nothing crazy about the house, honestly besides doubling down on the deep freezers, I could see a whole lot of power draw, especially when I start doing a lot of CNC.

Back