diy solar

diy solar

Power a room - disconnect at breaker box?

mjgillen

Hello all,

I am creating a setup that will provide 120vac from a 3000w inverter. I want to plug in an extension cord and power everything in the master bedroom - table lamps, TV, small space heater (1500w), portable AC (1500w) (not the AC and heater at the same time). I would run a separate extension cord to either the AC or space heater.

So my question is - can I disconnect this circuit at the breaker box and then just plug in the extension cord from the inverter into one of the outlets in the MBR and that would power everything that is plugged into that circuit? Meaning, my power company would never know and it would not feed back into the GRID?

Thanks,
Michael

Because it has power on the end you plan on plugging into the wall. An informed person could unplug it and get shocked by touching the exposed plug when the inverter is running.

My MBR has three circuits going through it.
If you put a transfer switch in the main panel it would power one leg.
Make sure all MBR circuits are on that leg.

Because it has power on the end you plan on plugging into the wall. An informed person could unplug it and get shocked by touching the exposed plug when the inverter is running.
TIL. I thought they were strictly homicide cords (in case of backfeeding grid through the panel). Now I know they are suicide/homicide cords. Not sure which side has a higher real world body count

B sure to put wire nuts on the conductors, both hot and neutral, when you disconnect power n the panel before you hook up your suicide cord.

A better way to do it is use a loads transfer panel, or put a male end on the cord at the panel, and use a normal extension cord from the inverter to the room circuit.

My MBR has three circuits going through it.
If you put a transfer switch in the main panel it would power one leg.
Make sure all MBR circuits are on that leg.

I flipped my breaker and tested all the outlets. The outlets in the MBR were all on the same circuit. One in the hall and all the master bathroom were on a different circuit.

B sure to put wire nuts on the conductors, both hot and neutral, when you disconnect power n the panel before you hook up your suicide cord.

I was planning on just flipping the breaker. Is that not sufficient? Do I need to disconnect all three wires? If so then yes I will cap with nuts.

Michael

I flipped my breaker and tested all the outlets. The outlets in the MBR were all on the same circuit. One in the hall and all the master bathroom were on a different circuit.

I was planning on just flipping the breaker. Is that not sufficient? Do I need to disconnect all three wires? If so then yes I will cap with nuts.

Michael
At least disconnect hot and neutral, ground can remain.

Back