diy solar

diy solar

Bikepacking - long distance bicycling with solar

sunnyscott

Hi,

I'm planning a multi-day long distance trek with my friends next summer. I'd like to run some GoPro cameras, a bike computer and cell phone. I currently can make it a whole day on just two 20,000mha usb portable batteries. I'm looking for a solution to do some charging while riding on the trail with minimum extra weight or wind resistance. I have plenty of time to prepare and have been looking on the internet and within this forum to do some research.

Some things I'm discovering:
  • it sounds like the flexible panels are not good, is that still the case?
  • cloth technology has been discovered but maybe not available yet.
  • it may be possible to purchase several small ( 2-3" ) panels and sew them onto my small camel back water holder, bike bag and panniers, connecting them together.
  • I may or may not need a controller.
Does anyone have experience with this type of project or recommendations for me?

Thanks!!

Scott

Great questions.
The two cameras will draw about 2.6 W each and I may have the ability to charge up the batteries at night so I don't need to cover 100% of the wattage as I'll have a buffer. If I only need to bring one battery, that would be ideal (less weight).
Yes, I can mount things but need to consider wind resistance. Winds can be up to 20 mph at times and if I'm riding into this it gets more difficult as my drag increases.

looks like cloth like panels are available. I myself haven't used any. This might help you out as someone has already done the "review" for you.

My concern is that unless you are biking in completely open fields. Your chance of sunshine is low. Hopefully this is a consideration.

I used to ride long distances, so I understand the weight vs drag thing. But maybe follow the 4x4 folks and find a 1 wheel cargo trailer and just put a solar panel on top of the cargo.

Wow, you guys rock!
I like the GoalZero Nomad 5 and the Flex Solar 15W charger. They look like good options, thank you.
I also think the Dynamo idea is a good alternative - https://www.bikeradar.com/features/so-it-turns-out-rim-dynamos-dont-suck-anymore/

Followup questions:
1) Do you think I can plug everything together and have the system decide what to do from an electricity perspective? For example, if I went with the dynamo concept, can I plug it into a battery and then plug the camera into the same battery and have the system just know when to charge / discharge the battery based on how much juice is coming from the source? The solar charger can be substituted into this question and it's kinda the same. Is there a controller that can handle the thinking here, or do I need to just stop and plug/un-plug gear as needed?

2) back to the solar panel topic, is there a diy solar solution I can sew into my gear and wire together on my own instead of going with the pre-built options?

Thanks for all the great ideas, this has been extremely helpful!!

Scott

Dynamically adjusting where the power comes from is “solved” if the equipment is designed right. For instance multiple Solar charge controllers and wind/hydro charge controllers generally can be paralleled onto one DC bus, that can be used to charge battery and to directly power DC devices.

This depends on those charge controllers being configurable to have identical charge curves. It may also require a buck converter to provide some semblance of decoupling of the voltage of the power source (IE I’m not sure if multiple PWM chargers coming from different source voltages would interact nicely, while MPPT charge controllers will do a voltage conversion by definition)

I’m sure you can find DIY modules that can charge a powerbank (either lithium battery directly or by conversion to 5V USB to charge a power bank) from a flexible voltage input range. Depending on how important efficiency is (IE get the max possible power out of the panels) you might want an MPPT implementation.

The 2nd link brings back memories of the old days and those addon lights people put on their bikes. The first link is a cool evolution of it all.

I’ve used several of the 100w usb power banks with built in panels. The panels are usually 1.5w each for those. I had my best success with a 25000mAh usb bank that had 6 built in panels and an additional 15w foldable usb panel feeding it. (21w of charging panels total)

That is hiking where I set up a base camp and have the big bank charging all day and smaller 18650 batteries for my gear I replenish from it.

The single panel banks are real joke. 1.5w charging a 100w bank will take forever.

Keep in mind a usb jack charging a bank is only going to be putting out about 10w so some of those 40w folding prefabs wont be giving you 40 usable watts or will split it between jacks.

I’m not sure how well that would work hanging off your pack. Custom saddle bags?

Not the same ones i have but similar setup. It is just under 100w (tsa limit) can mostly recharge in a day between them.

a 6w solar input usb bank.
a foldable 15w usb panel.

But yeah I would definitely look into a small 12v battery maintainer type system. USB is really limited. You might find something much better with a bit of creativity.

Last edited:
Do you think I can plug everything together and have the system decide what to do from an electricity perspective?

Scott it depends on the equipment

If it's all USB based, like power packs etc then YES it should work together seamlessly

Other equipment may need more effort to make it live together happily

If you pick what items you want to buy , post it all up, we can help check for compatibility

Back