diy solar

diy solar

Multicrystaline Panels?

opfor

So I've founds some panels on market place that I'm interested in and when I asked if they were poly or mono the guy says they are something in between, multicrystaline. I've never heard of this type and curious if they are good or if I should avoid? I've always used mono for my camper and various off grid projects. TIA

This is what I found :

Multicrystalline (Poly)​

Also known as Polycrystalline
Techniques for the production of multicrystalline silicon are simpler, and therefore cheaper, than those required for single crystal material. However, the material quality of multicrystalline material is lower than that of single crystalline material due to the presence of grain boundaries.
Multicrystalline cell surfaces have multi patterns with an efficiency of 9-13%.

-------------

Since mono types which is what most of us have is in the 20% efficiency range I'd avoid poly if it was me :)

Crowz was right, multi-crystalline=poly-crystalline, it's cheaper than mono panels but lower in efficiency, it only works better than mono-crystalline solar panel in cloudy days. Mono solar panels nowadays are much much cheaper than before, no need to consider poly panels now.
I just bought some customized dimension 100watt 18V mono solar panels for my RV at 150 dollars. It works great!

100watt18v mono solar panel.jpg100w sticker.jpg

Last edited:
I still have several poly panels from my first system and use them for recharging stations and other projects.

They are actually good panels in low sunlight conditions.

Back in the early days of solar you could not get a solid silicon cell and those were only available for things like solar panels used on satellites and space missions.

Instead they put tiny bits and pieces of silicon in a slurry to make the cells and that is why they are called poly crystalline.

The first harbor freight panels I got many years ago were made from the snipped off corners of larger mono cells and were called ribbon or chip panels. They failed fast because it took so much internal wiring to connect those tiny cells together and the wiring would fail.

That 45 watt harbor freight system cost $299.

I wouldn't turn down a poly panel if you can get them very cheap.

Eventually manufacturing solid or mono cells became affordable and the output per cell is a lot higher so the panels could be made smaller and that is why you can now get a mono panel for a dollar a watt or less.

These are my poly used for a recharging station:

IMG_20220710_115643750_HDR.jpg

The former Evergreen string ribbon panels were sort of an in between polycrystaline and monocrystaline. Like many other US solar firms, they were innovative but could not compete against the flood of chinese panels sold below cost.

My 2 KW Evergreen array is still cranking out the watts going on 15 years.

This is what I found :

Multicrystalline (Poly)​

Also known as Polycrystalline
Techniques for the production of multicrystalline silicon are simpler, and therefore cheaper, than those required for single crystal material. However, the material quality of multicrystalline material is lower than that of single crystalline material due to the presence of grain boundaries.
Multicrystalline cell surfaces have multi patterns with an efficiency of 9-13%.

-------------

Since mono types which is what most of us have is in the 20% efficiency range I'd avoid poly if it was me :)
Excellent, thanks so much for posting this, so really it just a poly panel.

So the ones I have found were used for a few years on some mega solar farm project and are 250w panels. Seller is asking $115 each for them but I can probably get them for maybe $100. The fact that they work better on a cloudy day is a big plus for me as you can see from my photo I would be using them on a remote site location and here in East Tn I have many many days with clouds to deal with. I'm currently set up as a 12V system and using four 190W Mono panels wired 2s 2P and maxing out a 760W. Looking to take my 12V to the max to 1000w (Max for 12V that Outback recommends) so in you opinion would this be a good upgrade for $400? Again thanks for all the info.

One thing to keep in mind is that "works better in cloudy" can still mean it sucks compared to mono.

Lets say its the poly is 13% efficient when new.

Lets age them badly to 8% used.

Now compare that to 22% new mono.

All things equal the mono new is going to smoke the poly even when new with clouds. I think you can see the poly isn't going to look to good being old.

But if you can get them for $100 each I'd go with it if its all your going to probably run there ever.

The problem with buying used panels or poly's only really comes into play if you need to expand it later. The total power is equal to the weakest panel in most setups. So if you add nice new panels later the old ones drag them down to whatever they put out.

Again if this is all that's going to be used there then go for it just buy however many you think you will ever need there at once of the old poly panels.

So the ones I have found were used for a few years on some mega solar farm project and are 250w panels. Seller is asking $115 each for them but I can probably get them for maybe $100.
If that is a good deal in your area, then awesome. Some areas don’t have listings for used panels; others like my local Phoenix area do, and I might be able to find them cheaper.

I would also check VOC and ISC on those panels. The mega farm projects may differ than what we are used to.
The fact that they work better on a cloudy day is a big plus for me as you can see from my photo I would be using them on a remote site location and here in East Tn I have many many days with clouds to deal with.
I’d try to get some data on what works better “means.” I have a set of panels that has 14% better production on a heavily overcast day, but the real numbers are 6 watts from 100 watts of panels as compared to 7 watts from 100 watts of panels for another.

Although my tests were pretty consistent, the real difference was insignificant.

I consider cloudy days a wash for production and at best if it happens on a low energy use day, which for me is when the weather is perfect, my panels will keep up with my rather meager energy requirements for the day. If not, the battery pack will get depleted to a point I’d have to turn the generator on On charge the batteries.

One thing to keep in mind is that "works better in cloudy" can still mean it sucks compared to mono.

Lets say its the poly is 13% efficient when new.

Lets age them badly to 8% used.

Now compare that to 22% new mono.

All things equal the mono new is going to smoke the poly even when new with clouds. I think you can see the poly isn't going to look to good being old.

But if you can get them for $100 each I'd go with it if its all your going to probably run there ever.

The problem with buying used panels or poly's only really comes into play if you need to expand it later. The total power is equal to the weakest panel in most setups. So if you add nice new panels later the old ones drag them down to whatever they put out.

Again if this is all that's going to be used there then go for it just buy however many you think you will ever need there at once of the old poly panels.
The newer mono cells have also improved in low light conditions as cell technology has improved.

I have a 10 year old set of mono from Renogy and a new set and the cells are quite different and output especially at higher voltage is fantastic and I am pulling higher than rated voltage at mid day in good sunshine.

By next year they will probably have even more improved cells.

Back