diy solar

diy solar

Multiplus 2: 3/4 conduit won't fit?

steenbag

So I've purchased all of my equipment, including a Multiplus 2-2x120, a mess of 6AWG THHN, and the 3/4 liquid-tight conduit to carry it. But, lo and behold, I go to hook it up and none of the holes in the inverter will work with the conduit fittings. The hole for the AC out is comically big, and way too close to the side, so the conduit fitting prevents the access panel from closing. The other AC holes are too small and close together.

According to the Victron manual, 6AWG is required for the inverter rating, and according to Southwire to have 4x 6AWG cables, I need 3/4 conduit. Seems like a fairly large oversight to me. I'm more comfortable running the AC cabling in conduit rather than 6/3 romex, because the routing goes under the RV, and through several holes in the frame. Plus the individual THHN is a lot easier to work with than the 6/3.

Has anyone had success using conduit on one of these? I'm thinking about using a weird setup of offset nipples and/or 90deg connectors, but that feels like a weird thing to have to do.

Watch will prowses YouTube on setting up Victron he used conduit and connectors

That's actually where I got the idea from, but going back to watch it again, he was only using 1/2in conduit and 3 AC cables instead of 4.

NEC does not allow romex in conduit, nor is it a good idea to use it outdoors. A type SOOW cord would be a far better choice, with sealtight with wire pulled through it in second place - but it's not very fun to pull 6awg through sealtight.

Also make sure you use the spring terminals correctly. I have a video available on that:

Back