diy solar

diy solar

Multiplus- Active Ac Input- disconnected?

pda1

Well, here I go again- problems.

I just hooked up the "shore power" (we live in a house) to the M+. The inverter output works fine- no problems.
However, I looked at the Cerbo (Rsp Pi) and noticed this;

Active AC Input- disconnected.png

See, it says Active AC Input- Disconnected.

What does that mean and how do I solve it? Any ideas?

It means that you're not currently running on grid power. You have a connection to the grid as see in the next row (AC-IN L1), but you're currently running off battery power.

From Victron terminology, you're "Ignoring AC Input".

Phew....I had a feeling that might be the situation. I have to assume that when the batteries get REALLY low that the AC grid will start charging the batteries (as determined by the M+ settings).

Phew....I had a feeling that might be the situation. I have to assume that when the batteries get REALLY low that the AC grid will start charging the batteries (as determined by the M+ settings).

Default behavior is to pass through AC input to loads and charge with surplus based on Ac input current limit - basically, it acts like a UPS and only inverts unless AC input is lost.

do you have virtual switch enabled?

do you have any assistants installed?

Default behavior is to pass through AC input to loads and charge with surplus based on Ac input current limit - basically, it acts like a UPS and only inverts unless AC input is lost.

do you have virtual switch enabled?

do you have any assistants installed?
I'm fairly sure Virtual Switch IS NOT enabled and don't think any Assistants are installed.

I have mine set to ignore the input AC until the batteries get down to a certain voltage that I can't remember right now. This was set up before I added the RasPi/VenusOS and I never got around to changing it.

If I decide I want to charge early I can force it to switch on the AC input by shutting down the batteries. The low battery alarm will go off and the MultiPlus will instantly close the internal AC relay.

Like @sunshine_eggo said, the default mode is to pass AC power through to the load when it's connected, so some kind of customization/change had to be made whether that's the virtual switch, assistant, node red, etc.

Do you have the ability to view your MP configuration?

I'm actually working on a video right now about a handful of different ways you can control this.

Here are photos of the M+ settings;

IMG_5370.JPG

IMG_5371.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5372.JPG
    IMG_5372.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5373.JPG
    IMG_5373.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5374.JPG
    IMG_5374.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5375.JPG
    IMG_5375.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5376.JPG
    IMG_5376.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5377.JPG
    IMG_5377.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5378.JPG
    IMG_5378.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 18
Virtual Switch enabled.

When VS off, AC input ignored.
VS on (AC input on) when voltage has dropped at or below 23.5V for 20 seconds or if any of the four alarms below are triggered for 1 second.
VS off is immediately triggered if voltage increases above 23.5V for > 20 seconds due to the "if no VS on for 0 seconds"

You M+ has been configured to cycle AC input on and off around 23.5V every 20 seconds.

Recommend the following changes:

VS ON at 24V (almost empty at 3V/cell) instead of 23.5V
VS OFF - change when no VS on for 0 seconds to -1 to disable it.

You have a few options as far as criteria to stop charging/AC input:

When voltage Udc X is met for Y time.
Set when bulk finished for 1 minute - you'll be darn near fully charged.
Whatever other criteria you'd like.

You can set multiple criteria. The first to be met triggers VS OFF.

I'm actually working on a video right now about a handful of different ways you can control this.

Make sure you explore the generator start and stop assistant and the general flag assistant. It is the preferred method and can be SoC based if the battery monitor communicates SoC to the GX. You MUST enable the battery monitor in VEConfig, but that is overridden by BMS or Shunt supplied SoC.

Basic SoC based config below:

1696543850561.png

Virtual Switch enabled.

When VS off, AC input ignored.
VS on (AC input on) when voltage has dropped at or below 23.5V for 20 seconds or if any of the four alarms below are triggered for 1 second.
VS off is immediately triggered if voltage increases above 23.5V for > 20 seconds due to the "if no VS on for 0 seconds"

You M+ has been configured to cycle AC input on and off around 23.5V every 20 seconds.

You have a few options as far as criteria to stop charging/AC input:

When voltage Udc X is met for Y time.
Set when bulk finished for 1 minute - you'll be darn near fully charged.
Whatever other criteria you'd like.

You can set multiple criteria. The first to be met triggers VS OFF.
I hope I understand this. These are the initial changes you recommend?

I hope I understand this. These are the initial changes you recommend?

Yes.

change 23.5 to 24

change 0 to -1.

You must enter some other criteria to ignore AC input and resume inverting. If you simply want to continue to pass through AC input and keep the battery floated, then nothing else needs to be entered.

If you want it to act as a UPS, this is fine. If that's the case, you should enable UPS on the Grid tab.

Make sure you explore the generator start and stop assistant and the general flag assistant. It is the preferred method and can be SoC based if the battery monitor communicates SoC to the GX. You MUST enable the battery monitor in VEConfig, but that is overridden by BMS or Shunt supplied SoC.

Basic SoC based config below:

View attachment 170957
Thanks. I have. I am using the Gen Start/Stop feature, just not using the assistants. ?

Just out of curiosity to this thread, as it seems relevant. Is there anyway to prevent the Grid Lost alarm whist the Ignore AC VS is active?
I am using both the Sustain feature and the Ignore AC VS to maximize the use of my solar, even while connected to good shore power. The thing is, every time the VS flips, the Grid Lost alarm gets triggered. You would think that the M+ & Cerbo GX would be smart enough to realize that AC Grid connection is still present but just not actively being utilized. It really kind of tarnishes the display in my coach, because its always showing the alarm notification as part of normal operation. Yes I know you can turn off Grid monitoring altogether, but it is a handy feature to have, if its not peppering you with "false" alarms.

Thanks,

Just out of curiosity to this thread, as it seems relevant. Is there anyway to prevent the Grid Lost alarm whist the Ignore AC VS is active?
I am using both the Sustain feature and the Ignore AC VS to maximize the use of my solar, even while connected to good shore power. The thing is, every time the VS flips, the Grid Lost alarm gets triggered. You would think that the M+ & Cerbo GX would be smart enough to realize that AC Grid connection is still present but just not actively being utilized. It really kind of tarnishes the display in my coach, because its always showing the alarm notification as part of normal operation. Yes I know you can turn off Grid monitoring altogether, but it is a handy feature to have, if its not peppering you with "false" alarms.

Thanks,
Unfortunately I think either you monitor for grid loss or you don’t. I don’t know of a way to only have the alarm monitoring for a loss when you’re utilizing the AC connection but not when your ignoring AC.

Would be nice though. Seems like they would have to monitor the connection before the AC input relay instead of after it.

Back