diy solar

diy solar

Multiplus with stranded wire - ferrules or not?

mega5

I need to rewire this multiplus ac Output side with stranded wire but I am a little confused by the documentation.

-Should ferrules be used or not?

-Can I use 8ga stranded? I will be using a blue sea 8027 - 30a distro panel with 15a sub breakers. I believe the victron manual recommends 6GA which seems way overkill for 30a. Furthermore, the 6GA Lug may not even fit on the blue sea mains panel.

I need to rewire this multiplus ac Output side with stranded wire but I am a little confused by the documentation.

-Should ferrules be used or not?

-Can I use 8ga stranded? I will be using a blue sea 8027 - 30a distro panel with 15a sub breakers. I believe the victron manual recommends 6GA which seems way overkill for 30a. Furthermore, the 6GA Lug may not even fit on the blue sea mains panel.

On the AC out side, if you're using standard stranded wire (like what you get from Lowes, 8G wire might have 5-10 strands in it) and not fine stranded wire (like a battery cable), you should not use a ferrule. Ferrules are generally designed for fine stranded wire, not the kind of stuff you get at Lowes (at least not in 8G).

I have standard 6/3 Romex going to my MPII and I tried it with ferrules first. Looks better, but I could pull the wire back through the ferrule no matter how nuts I went with the crimper. I just couldn't get enough compression to reliably hold the wire in the ferrule, likely because the ferrule wasn't able to hold a shape grabbed on enough to hold the wire. I went back to just putting the wires directly in. Doing it both ways, wires direct seems a lot more secure.

-EDIT- Found the video I was thinking of. Turns out it wasn't an issue with using ferrules, but instead was not having enough insulation stripped off of the wires.

(my original comments below)
I seem to recall a video regarding this and a failure associated with using a ferrule, but I can't seem to find it.

If I recall correctly, the distributor said the failure (burned off wire) was caused by using a ferrule with a spring loaded terminal. And that you shouldn't use ferrules due to them interfering with the spring properly gripping the strands.

Last edited:
On the AC out side, if you're using standard stranded wire (like what you get from Lowes, 8G wire might have 5-10 strands in it) and not fine stranded wire (like a battery cable), you should not use a ferrule. Ferrules are generally designed for fine stranded wire, not the kind of stuff you get at Lowes (at least not in 8G).

i'm planning to wire the output with #8 fine stranded, similar to Ancor marine. So that is where the confusion begins on whether to put this in a ferrule or not

i'm planning to wire the output with #8 fine stranded, similar to Ancor marine. So that is where the confusion begins on whether to put this in a ferrule or not

If it's fine stranded, I'd put it in the ferrule. The connections on that device, IMHO, aren't designed to grab a fine stranded wire.

Back