diy solar

diy solar

My 550Ah LiFePO4 Lishen Battery Bank starts here and now.

Where are you getting your information? What's in it for you to try and dissuade potential buyers from doing business with those vendors? This is totally misleading hearsay, and you have no idea what you are talking about, because if you did, you would post sources so as not to discredit yourself.

Your old-school preconceptions of Chinese products are unwarranted in today's modern age, biased, and based on a prejudiced stigma that needs to just die out with the boomer generation. I realize a lot of the members here are probably older, and that's fine, but the world is not the same as it was when you guys were hanging out, hating on the Chinese in the 70's. The business of China is business, and they can easily produce as good, if not much better quality products than the US (especially now, as the US does not, and has not produced shlt for 50 years), and be much, much more competitive in the market with pricing, even with having to ship their stuff half-way around the world.

If you have a problem with Chinese products, take it up with the greedy American corporations who found the lowest Chinese bidder to contract with and fill the order. The Chinese are just doing their job and getting paid. So sick and tired of the older crowd constantly making the connection between "crap" and "Chinese".

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Chinese quality or products so long as they AREN'T sourced through your greedy, anti-American, anti-capitalist boomer high school buddies that own and run the corporations that sold out the Americans and gave contracts to the lowest-bidding Chinese manufacturers.

It's old and tired. Time to hang up the nonsensical China-dissing that you started, and let it die.

Wow @MadMax03 ...... Every point the Dzl made is based on information that is documented in many places on this forum. Don't know why you would take such offense to the sober facts he presented .... your post was made a little late, so maybe some adult beverage was involved?
If you had done any research at all before the ridiculous diatribe you posted you would have found that Dzl is a master of researching information and bringing it together in his very informative posts.

I just ordered the 4S JBD that Overkill sells. Because still had time, before my battery cells arrive, I also got directly from China and saved a bit more. Back to your question, I had two issues to deal with. I have to little space in my van, so I have to split up the battery bank into two units (close together) and the BMS only has peak 120A charge/discharge. To be able to adequately use my induction cooktop, I will create two 4S batteries, each with its own BMS (2x120A = 240A x 12.8V = ~3000W).
Van Williams
Hello, Cargovanconversion.
So did you already get your batteries and how good they are? I am thinking ordering them also.

Hey - just wondering if you mind sharing link to Alibaba or AliExpress where you purchased the Xuba Lishen LiFePO4. I searched on Alibaba and AliExpress but there seems to be so many vendors selling what seems to be identical - but I prefer ordering from a supplier who someone already purchased for.

Thank you - I truly appreciate it.
I would send an email directly and then handle the order through alibaba.com. I am dealing with Pina Long at pina@juneng-electronics.com. There is much more info on ordering and from who on this forum. Just do a search. p.e. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/how-to-order-chinese-batteries.4847/
Van Williams

So did you already get your batteries and how good they are? I am thinking ordering them also.
I did receive two BMS's from China a few weeks ago. Still waiting for the batteries. Two days ago I contacted the supplier and she verified the status through the shipper. They should have arrived at US Customs on 1/16/21. So they should appear at FedEx tracking any day now. It's been a long wait and I have to keep an eye on Alibaba, to be sure that delivery is assured.
I'll update this post when things develop.
Van Williams

A quick update on the batteries.
11/26/2020 - Original order date.
11/30/2020 - Payment date.
12/02/2020 - FedEx tracking info received.
01/14/2021 - Inquiry sent to seller about order status.
01/18/2021 - Seller verified arrival at customs.
01/22/2021 - FedEx delivery scheduled for 01/28/2021.
01/25/2021 - FedEx delivery rescheduled for 01/26/2021.

With a little luck, this ordering process will have taken exactly 2 months (China | Los Angeles | Florida).
Now hoping, no damage has occured. Will keep this post updated.
Van Williams

A quick update on the batteries.
11/26/2020 - Original order date.
11/30/2020 - Payment date.
12/02/2020 - FedEx tracking info received.
01/14/2021 - Inquiry sent to seller about order status.
01/18/2021 - Seller verified arrival at customs.
01/22/2021 - FedEx delivery scheduled for 01/28/2021.
01/25/2021 - FedEx delivery rescheduled for 01/26/2021.

With a little luck, this ordering process will have taken exactly 2 months (China | Los Angeles | Florida).
Now hoping, no damage has occured. Will keep this post updated.
Van Williams
Hello Van, I went to your site and saw you were looking at installing heating pads. I just saw a YT video where the guy is installing heating pads as well as cooling fans. He is putting a sheet of aluminum between the pads and the batteries and he is using controllers to monitor the temps and turn on and off the fans and pads. I like what he is doing but think his logic skipped a step. He is using a Jackery to power them but the Jackery itself needs to have the same temperature protection as the batteries. I don't know why you wouldn't use the battery bank itself as the power source?

DIY Lithium Battery Heating and Cooling System For Extreme Climates // Part 1

I just purchased from Shenzhen Shouhuzhe Energy - 32pcs of the 200AH Lishen LiFepo4 Aluminum cased cells, with shipping. I took a big risk ignoring the other suppliers listed on here, but their price for the whole lot was 1925 USD. Almost half the price of approved EVE cells, so by the property of "no-free-lunch" I'm going to be disappointed... I hope not, though. I did buy them through Alibaba Assurance, but that doesn't mean much.

I'll alert the group when (if?) I receive them, and I'll do a capacity test and review the case, posts, threads, labeling and such.

My plan is to attach these to a LV6548 MPPT Solar Charger/6000W Inverter for my RV. I'm working with Watts247.com because their tech support is excellent! I'll also connect my diesel generator to the external demand relay, and connect my external RV power plug for use with external power in RV parks etc.

I also plan to add a BMS and battery heating for use in cold climates.

It's gonna be fun.

Reactions: Dzl
I just purchased from Shenzhen Shouhuzhe Energy - 32pcs of the 200AH Lishen LiFepo4 Aluminum cased cells, with shipping. I took a big risk ignoring the other suppliers listed on here, but their price for the whole lot was 1925 USD. Almost half the price of approved EVE cells, so by the property of "no-free-lunch" I'm going to be disappointed... I hope not, though. I did buy them through Alibaba Assurance, but that doesn't mean much.

I'll alert the group when (if?) I receive them, and I'll do a capacity test and review the case, posts, threads, labeling and such.

My plan is to attach these to a LV6548 MPPT Solar Charger/6000W Inverter for my RV. I'm working with Watts247.com because their tech support is excellent! I'll also connect my diesel generator to the external demand relay, and connect my external RV power plug for use with external power in RV parks etc.

It's gonna be fun.
Welcome aboard. Was the price point on 200ah better than the 280ah batteries? Never having looked at the 200ah models, I don't know how their physical size compares or pricing. I am guessing 6000w inverter to run two large air conditioners?

It's gonna be fun.
I am using my radiant heated floors to keep my batteries warm, love those espars

Hello Van, I went to your site and saw you were looking at installing heating pads. I just saw a YT video where the guy is installing heating pads as well as cooling fans. He is putting a sheet of aluminum between the pads and the batteries and he is using controllers to monitor the temps and turn on and off the fans and pads. I like what he is doing but think his logic skipped a step. He is using a Jackery to power them but the Jackery itself needs to have the same temperature protection as the batteries. I don't know why you wouldn't use the battery bank itself as the power source?

Hey @Stepandwolf - I think you are misinterpreting Dan in the "Freely Roaming" video. He did show a Jackery (he acutally called it a Power Oak, but it does look like a Jackery) to demonstrate the thermostats, heating pads, and fan. However, to me it was clear that was only for the demonstration. Early in the video he specifically pointed out that when the temperature is below freezing you can't charge the LFP cells, but you can use the battery's power to heat up the cells so that they can be charged.

TL;DR - He used the Jackery only to demonstrate on the video.

Welcome aboard. Was the price point on 200ah better than the 280ah batteries? Never having looked at the 200ah models, I don't know how their physical size compares or pricing. I am guessing 6000w inverter to run two large air conditioners?
Not sure what you are asking... my post showed the price for 32 pieces and it's half the price of the EVE cells I think. They are I think B-grade 280Ah cells with some reduced capacity. We shall see.
Yes 6000W so i can do refrig and air at same time, as long as the hot weather is accompanied by lots of solar. I'm adding 2400W of solar panels hoping that will get me by.
:rolleyes:

I'm not sure yet about the heating pads, but certainly will install (computer) fans where the 12V components are installed (as well one for the fridge, another for my built-in deskt0p computer). Already have 5 temp controllers that I install for them, including possible heating pads. As you said, connected to the battery bank.
Van Williams

It's gonna be fun.
I paid ~$750.00 DDP to Florida for eight 3.2V - 272Ah Lishen. Based on Amps, 550Ah, you got and paid about 3x as much, So not to worry too much about "no free lunch". Good luck!
Van Williams

I look forward to your capacity testing thread. I hope your still having "fun" at the end of it.
For me capacity (testing) is not that important as long as it's reasonably close to advertised. Planning to stay within 20%-80% SOC.
Van Williams

On January 26, exactly two months after the ordering process started, I received my eight 3.2V - 272Ah Lishen cells. In four separate boxes, with two cells each. Very sturdy and thus no damage. Immediately tested them: all 3.276V except for one at 3.272V.
Removed several tiny edges where the thread starts in these aluminum terminals, sanded them and cleaned them with Isopropyl alcohol. Installed 20mm set screws and connected all the positives on one side and all the negatives on the other with bus bars.
Now using a small lab power supply, to charge them at 3.65V at ~17W-18W. So I have to be patient.
The buying process has been positive and would do that again. In the meantime everything is ready to start the install. Too many lugs, bus bars, switches, cables and alike waiting.
Van Williams

I finished top balancing my eight Lithium battery cells (3.2V @ 272Ah). Had them charging at 3.65V (max. allowed for these cells), most of the time at around 10A. The top balancing should finish when the amps on the power supply drop below 0.100A, but I disconnected the power at about 0.385A. At that time, checking the cell's terminals with a high-quality multimeter, I saw a cell voltage of 3.653V, clearly getting above the allowed 3.65V.
10.jpg

The day after I disconnected the power supply to the battery cells, all of the cells showed a resting voltage of 3.539V. Compare that to the 3.276V for seven cells and 3.273V for one cell at the beginning.
11.jpg

Now getting started building the battery housing.
Van Williams

why did you stop charging before the the amps went to zero? the lower the amps the more even the charge (less voltage drop across bus bars)

why did you stop charging before the the amps went to zero? the lower the amps the more even the charge (less voltage drop across bus bars)
I think that measuring the cell voltage at the cell terminals with a quality multimeter is more precise than what this cheap power supply indicates. I didn't want to take any risk, when this voltage went over 3.65V (i.e. 3.653V).
But I'm not an expert at this, just learning as I go :)
Van Williams

Back