diy solar

diy solar

My build thread

I used one of these mounted in a box for a while. Not very expensive, Blue top, kind of obnoxious to wire with #4. I'd give it to you if I can remember where I put it, I think I have two. When I re-wired I decided to roll with a small din box for the chargeverter, and replaced this 80A relay that fed a pedestal and mounted it on a din rail with my 100A transfer switch to my pedestal with this (Picture below Left switch, right feeds breaker panel/2AWG):

These are all over amazon. This particular one (above) is 100A 4-pole and has worked flawlessly thus far as a transfer switch as well as a simple computer controlled relay for my outside pedestal. I have two spares in the box just in case.

This was so successful I bought two (2) 'Jotta' 2 pole units for my chargeverter (farther down). They have the contacts to the right and the switching to the left. I bought two, the first one failed within a month, it refused to auto-switch. I replaced it with the second one and thus far it has worked as advertised, though it does not get the abuse of the 100A primary transfer switch which flips twice a day, or whenever I'm goofing around with the system ;-). I need to buy a spare, but it will be annoying if the contacts flip over to the left side so I'll probably get the same one, no rush as this is not a critical switch.

This does however create a neat and tidy appearance, the DIN box has a Neutral and ground bus bar, so the wiring is pretty nice and you don't have wires sticking out perpendicular. The common is underneath on the bottom like the 4-pole units. It has a manual/auto switch. I wired the secondary relay to the primary input, so it simply forces itself off. I wired the primary relay to my control computer which puts power on the relay on a schedule. It's currently manually OFF, the green lights indicate the secondary relay is powered. The primary will turn on/red at 2100, but I'm not currently running the CV, because until this past Tuesday, the batteries were running out at 2200 and the chargeverter would not keep up with my nighttime load very well. That load seems to be much lower now that the nighttime temps have fallen below 90, last night my batteries lasted until 0200. Like @timselectric at some point I want to be able to not worry about whatever I want to do. I have my CV's tuned to about 48.5V which charges the batteries to around 20%. Now that I have tamed the modbus on the inverters, I have access to battery SOC, load and output, so moving forward I will be making decisions to turn the relay on based on Time, load and SOC. ie Don't bother with the CV if my load is over 4KW, or if I'm going to have to be on charging for more than 5 or 6 hours or something. Further when I get my next rack of batteries, I will start supplementing if the SOC falls below 15% or something. To try and always ensure power even if the grid goes down at night. Dunno yet, that's what makes it fun!

I don't want to

View attachment 166474

@ksmithaz1 What are these wire terminal lugs? can you link them?

View attachment 211144

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-23 205744.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-04-23 205744.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 16
Back