diy solar

diy solar

My build thread

All the same voltage at the same time. I.e. no. of panels, with shading, facing the same direction and angle/tilt.
That is helpful.

GT string inverter MPPTs have a minimum operating voltage. If you have a roof facet which can fit some but not enough panels to generate sufficient voltage for the MPPT, then that roof space is not suitable to be used by a string inverter unless there is another section of roof with the same orientation onto which more panels can be installed.
As is this

Any others?

Originally 6 months ago when I started looking at solar I thought microinverters were tha answer for max output. And then I started reading and my circumstances have changed. On my current house I was going to do roof mount with 3 strings, south, east, and west. The east and west would get shading from a few trees.

Now I am moving to Cortez, Co, building a house, and will be doing a ground mount. Looking hard at the fence panel frameless or more traditional panels, but on a motorized mount where I can do automated east/west tracking and manual tilt by season. I think I can build the mounts for less than the cost of the microinverters if I do it myself.

My eta is 1.5 years to start so I have lots of time to figure things out.

I might have to make a utube account to join the party...

So you're feeding the mixer motor direct PV? 3S ~130VDC under load?

I might have to make a utube account to join the party...

So you're feeding the mixer motor direct PV? 3S ~130VDC under load?
No
There's an ecoflow river 2 between the solar and mixer.
Downside is that it only accepts 200w of solar and I'm pulling 500w with the mixer.
So the solar is just a "range extender" kind of.
It was a cloudy day, so I modified two panels for the voltage.
The 3rd panel was just to verify the limit.

Panels are in parallel.
25v limit on the input.

8m8cer

1712707121650.gif

5.5 kw solar
Growatt SPF-5000-ES
Auto transformer
One server rack battery (so far)
Peak solar output so far was 4k.

Growatt and auto-transformer! You don't say!

Now that I think we have agreement on how to protect an auto-transformer, is that how you did it way back when?

1712709188610.png

Now that I think we have agreement on how to protect an auto-transformer, is that how you did it way back when?
Nope
That one was "T" tapped in the loads panel.
Only has short protection. But loads are well balanced.
Never more than 3a on the neutral.

The screen under the transformer is monitoring the neutral current.

Last edited:
Back