diy solar

diy solar

My first residential PV

Jordi

Greetings solarists,

After 3 years of experiments with small setups, I finally have the chance to arrange my first resindential solar installation.
For greater odds of success, I would like to introduce you to my initial proposal to collect some of your thoughts.

Consumptions:
4.650 kWh/year with a range of 330-430 kWh/month. (attached house)
No consumption profile available; assumed 30% self-consumption and to be improved with programmable wifi power plugs.
The house is full electric (no gas) and the main consumers are the kitchen hotplates (2.000W), the water e-heater (1.500W), the pool pump+electrolyser (600W) and seasonal electric heaters (1.000-2.000W) to support our propane gas moveable heater.
Power available on contract: 4,4kW

PV proposal:
Hybrid inverter Growatt MIN 4200 (4,2kW) 2 MPPT entries
500W Pentile solar panel x 8= 4,0kW (VoC = 45V, Vnom = 38,4V)

Why this inverter? Decent remote control tools, price point, size&weight and hybrid. (Solaredge looked better but is way more expensive)
Why these pannels? Optimum occupation of roof area and optimum price. 550W don't fit.

On my roof I expect; 1.300-1.400 kWh/kWp per year (according to a couple PV official simulation tools). I am located in the northen east part of Spain.
Azimuth is 15 degrees, so it's practically looking directly into the south and roof inclination just 18º (30%).

The array is oversized on purpose due to incorporation of new consumers in the coming years; plugable hybrid car, airco, e-heaters,...

2 arrays because the blue array might be slightly shadowed in the late afternoon by the square (house chimney).
Separating the arrays should allow the orange array to produce a little more in the late afternoon.

1700838617456.png

Billing:
We pay 0,17€ per kWh consumed (flat price) and expect to recieve around 0,05€ per kWh surpluss.
Better conditions to be searched.

Preferences and future plans:
- Hybrid inverter to add batteries in the future. Expecting to add or 1) small battery to increase self-consumption or 2) add big one to become practically self-sufficient.
- Inverter with programmable charging mode to take xW from the grid If battery <x%.
- Decent remote monitoring to improve self-consumption over time.
- Willing to accept 7-8 years payback time.

Some points of uncertainty:
Inverter MPPT range is 80-550V --> OK
MPPT range at max. power 170-550V --> Isn't that too high? Voc x 4 = 180V but Vnom = 153,6V. Any impact expected on output efficiency?

Your comments are super welcome!
Jordi

Back