diy solar

diy solar

N-G Bonding

Unless an inverter is setup up specifically for off grid use, they generally will not have a ground neutral connection inside an inverter. Portable inverters may have such a connection if they are designed to have equipment plugged directly into them. Generally transfer switches only change the source of the hot conductors in the system. Generators, especially portable ones may actually have a ground neutral bond also. If you are using such a generator to tie into your homes electrical system it really should be unbonded. It is fairly rare to actually use 3 or 4 pole switches that will switch ground and neutral conductors from one source to another. Any equipment in the same building or immediately adjacent to it like A/C and generators will generally share the same ground and neutral system. This system should only have a single connection at the first disconnection point.

Before an inverter is installed or a generator is used, it is easy to check for continuity between the ground and neutral with a standard multimeter.
So the inverter has 2 inputs. It can run with none, one, or two inputs at the same time. The two inputs are: solar and grid 120v. What I’m saying is that if I bond the system now, does that mean when I plug in the 120v grid input, I’ll get two bonding which is against code??

Without knowing your exact setup, it is hard to say for sure. I can tell you that as a general rule, separate buildings will have separate electrical systems. They should only be supplying three wires to each building. Two hots and a neutral. At the entrance to each building you should have ground rods installed and tied into the panel at each building. That is where the ground neutral bond should be established.

This ground neutral connection is important because it provides two things. One is it helps prevent induced currents from nearby lighting strikes from damaging equipment in your house and possibly injuring people. It is also what clears a fault and prevents any metal objects in your house from becoming electrified. A grounding rod without a ground neutral connection, may have too high of an impedance to trip a breaker.

In general you do not want separate buildings sharing the same grounding system. When you have a main panel in one building, suppling a subpanel in another building the situation becomes more complicated, but I don't believe you have that.
You might want to check the code on these thoughts. Over 20 years ago they started making you feed separate building with hots, neutral, and ground wires.

Without knowing your exact setup, it is hard to say for sure. I can tell you that as a general rule, separate buildings will have separate electrical systems. They should only be supplying three wires to each building. Two hots and a neutral. At the entrance to each building you should have ground rods installed and tied into the panel at each building. That is where the ground neutral bond should be established.

This ground neutral connection is important because it provides two things. One is it helps prevent induced currents from nearby lighting strikes from damaging equipment in your house and possibly injuring people. It is also what clears a fault and prevents any metal objects in your house from becoming electrified. A grounding rod without a ground neutral connection, may have too high of an impedance to trip a breaker.

In general you do not want separate buildings sharing the same grounding system. When you have a main panel in one building, suppling a subpanel in another building the situation becomes more complicated, but I don't believe you have that.
As @B-Mod mentioned, check your NEC code!

Code specifically calls for a N-G bond at the power source (I believe it says to do it at the "first means of disconnect".) and run 4 wires from there to any sub panel(s), where ground and neutral remain SEPARATE on individual ground bar (connected to panel box) and neutral bar (isolated from panel box). The idea is that any ground fault will carry the whole way back to the bond at the source, and not carry on the neutral (grounded conductor). That connection to neutral (the N-G bond) will allow the ground fault to complete the circuit and trip the breaker.

Now where it gets interesting is when there are existing sub panel feeders in place with only 3 wires! In that case you MUST bond again at the sub panel! The reason for this is that if you do not, and then have a ground fault, IT WILL NOT TRIP THE BREAKER! That ground fault will carry back to the ground bar at that sub panel, and now the ground bar and the panel box are hot, and anyone touching them will get shocked! Not only that, but also ALL ground wires going to outlets, switches, lights etc. are now hot and therefore anything with steel on it and a ground prong, will be hot.

To sum it up in short: ALWAYS make sure that the ground bar in each panel and sub panel is connected to the neutral EITHER in that panel OR further upstream if there are 4 wires feeding it! Not both, or you have a parallel path from panel A to panel B on ground and neutral!

Also a note to the OP @Anteclansing the N-G bond needs to be a permanent connection, not a plug type of device that creates a connection. If you use a plug device, you are dependent on that plug remaining plugged in, as well as the connection in the outlet that it is plugged into to be a good connection. If the contacts for some reason work loose, you will lose that connection! I do realize that when connecting to grid for backup things get interesting. But if this is a hardwired install, you have 1 electrical system (the inverter is just in the middle and managing the power flow to come from grid or from batteries/solar), therefore you need 1 bond! That bond will be the one at the service entrance, right where your power from the power company first lands at a breaker panel or service entrance disconnect. From there on, you should have a separate neutral and ground wire to all sub panels, as well as to your inverter, and on to your loads panel after the inverter! The "neutral in" vs the "neutral out" of the inverter should be common, but if they are not, then I would use a wire to physically connect neutral between the upstream and downstream sides of the inverter. If you set it up the way I just described, you will always have a neutral to ground bond from that first service entrance bond connection (regardless of the hot lines being connected from grid to inverter or not!), and this makes it way less confusing for anyone else who may work on the electrical system down the road!

Code specifically calls for a N-G bond at the power source (I believe it says to do it at the "first means of disconnect".) and run 4 wires from there to any sub panel(s), where ground and neutral remain SEPARATE on individual ground bar (connected to panel box) and neutral bar (isolated from panel box). The idea is that any ground fault will carry the whole way back to the bond at the source, and not carry on the neutral (grounded conductor). That connection to neutral (the N-G bond) will allow the ground fault to complete the circuit and trip the breaker.
I agree with this as far as the "First means of Disconnect", but this post and photos show a remote meter location that is not at either house. The photo does not show any means of disconnect at the meter location. It also shows a three wire feed from the meter to each house. The meter location is clearly not the first means of disconnect.

Do you see a disconnect at the meter location that I missed?

Therefore if you powering two separate building from this meter, each will be considered a main panel and the first means of disconnect. Each of these will require that a building ground rod be installed. Each will have a ground neutral bond in the main panel. If there are any additional panels beyond these two main panels, they would be subpanels.

I agree with this as far as the "First means of Disconnect", but this post and photos show a remote meter location that is not at either house. The photo does not show any means of disconnect at the meter location. It also shows a three wire feed from the meter to each house. The meter location is clearly not the first means of disconnect.

Do you see a disconnect at the meter location that I missed?
1710524322163.png
I'm thinking there is a main breaker under this round-ish cap. Which would make it the first means of disconnect.
Therefore if you powering two separate building from this meter, each will be considered a main panel and the first means of disconnect. Each of these will require that a building ground rod be installed. Each will have a ground neutral bond in the main panel. If there are any additional panels beyond these two main panels, they would be subpanels.
The fact that there is a 3 wire feed going to each house and/or sub panel alone dictates a N-G bond needed at those sub panels. Despite the fact that I believe this is actually a disconnect.

I do believe that I misread your earlier comments, thinking that you were saying in ALL circumstances each building would get it's own bond. After re-reading your comments, I think you were specifically talking to the OP's situation, and you were spot on.

(y)

I do believe that I misread your earlier comments, thinking that you were saying in ALL circumstances each building would get it's own bond. After re-reading your comments, I think you were specifically talking to the OP's situation, and you were spot on.
The code especially when you are feeding one building from another building or multiple buildings from the same meter gets a little convoluted and I am not an expert. Usually the electric company is responsible for equipment up to the point where it enters your house from the meter. Those would be "Service Conductors". There are actually different rules for utility companies and many of the things they do would NOT meet NEC. They don't necessarily have to follow the NEC. After that it's the customers system. On the customer side the NEC generally needs to be followed. Even then it is up to counties to "Adopt" the code and enforce it. Some counties are 1-2 generations or more behind on adopting the latest NEC. Rural areas such as this with one meter and multiple feeds to the houses make it a little more difficult to determine where that line is.

Many of the new NEC requirements can be very expensive. For example the requirement to use arc fault / GFI breakers nearly everywhere. This could easily add $3-4K to he cost of a house. So if your a builder and your competing against other builders do you do it if your county is not enforcing that rule yet?

I just noticed the fire extinguisher. I guess they don't have great confidence in their electrical work?

The code especially when you are feeding one building from another building or multiple buildings from the same meter gets a little convoluted and I am not an expert. Usually the electric company is responsible for equipment up to the point where it enters your house from the meter. Those would be "Service Conductors". There are actually different rules for utility companies and many of the things they do would NOT meet NEC. They don't necessarily have to follow the NEC. After that it's the customers system. On the customer side the NEC generally needs to be followed. Even then it is up to counties to "Adopt" the code and enforce it. Some counties are 1-2 generations or more behind on adopting the latest NEC. Rural areas such as this with one meter and multiple feeds to the houses make it a little more difficult to determine where that line is.
Yep, as soon as it's after the meter it's up to local AHJ. And like you said, oftentimes in rural areas the local AHJ is only commercial, and residential code is "do as you please". This specific install could have been done before the NEC requirement for 4 wire sub feeds was a thing. Or the person/electrician running the sub feeds may have not cared.
Many of the new NEC requirements can be very expensive. For example the requirement to use arc fault / GFI breakers nearly everywhere. This could easily add $3-4K to he cost of a house. So if your a builder and your competing against other builders do you do it if your county is not enforcing that rule yet?
I always like looking at whether or not it is an actual safety and/or fire issue. If it is not, then it is up to the customer if they want to spend extra money or not. If it is a safety and/or fire issue, then I would rather not get the job, than end up being blamed down the road for a problem!
I just noticed the fire extinguisher. I guess they don't have great confidence in their electrical work?
🤪 😆

Back