diy solar

diy solar

NA Sodium ION Batteries

kochikame

Hi all
How do you think about this new batts?
Anoyone did test them?
They told they would be cheaper but the fact is not like this, please check

I've got a few in my lab for testing, but haven't had time yet. They look promising, but as usual they have their disadvantages as well. LFP still has a higher cycle life and has higher energy density. At low temperatures, NaI performs better.

Ive got some 18650 SiBs in for testing from Hikadi (Alix). They are printed on case as 1500mAh. Hmm. I recently set up a newly acquired ZKE ap20 battery tester (so far seems a nice piece of kit with neat PC Win 10/11 s/w drawing nice compact graphs etc. It does a full automatic CC disch + CC CV chrg). So takes some of the sweat out of routine testing of batteries (btw no good for NMH). Thanks to Andy @ offgridgarage for the heads up.

However what my new toy has shown me is a drastic lack of capacity vs what I was sold ie ca 1100mAh vs hype 1500mAh

This is quite a shock since Julian Illett rated these highly and was the first to get some last year. So I am confused - what have I got wrong?

Also something else I noticed is that the OC volts (4.0V) from full charge drops dramatically in a few secs on 0.7C 1A disch down to ca 3.5V.

This gives a usable range from 4.0V down to 2.5V. The curve is almost linear downwards (useful for EV app to easy determine SOC).

A lot of typical battery powered kit wont like this wide operating voltage (and ca 4:1 drop in power for my electric drill?). Here are a set of results showing a disch/chrg cycle

I also performed the IR test using the std meter Yaorea YR 1035+ which gave 19mohms @3.2V (so 1A discharge = 19mV, nowhere near the the initial Volt drop)
Hopefully if others adopt similar testing methods we will all be singing from the same page.
I have formed the impression that a lot of these "spec" figures are deliberately chosen to hype the product and give a false expectation of capacity. Unless you are in the exotic RC world where every last mAh counts, your application should be focusing in 80/20% (or maybe 90/10%) power band for realistic use. Coming from a tragic LAB stable where 50% DOD is the norm and realistic use given all deprecating factors
, such as age, ambient temp, %age C dischg etc. If you started with 100Ah - new then budget for 25Ah reliable use ( in the EV world), that how bad and overhyped AGMs are - bitter experience here.

Attachments

• 2024-2-18-17-56-50-EBC-A20(1).jpg
    2024-2-18-17-56-50-EBC-A20(1).jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I will be bringing in some 220Ah sodium cells soon. If anyone wants some, whats the going price + shipping ???
contact me if interested ( and serious )
How does that compare to your " cheaper " LFP cells ??

Last edited:
Back