diy solar

diy solar

NEC 2017 - RSD and setbacks question

n2aws

Solar Addict
So, quick question since phase2 of my project just became a reality.. We're still on NEC2017 here. I will be putting roughly 12 370w modules on a detached/free-standing horse barn about 300' from my house. Looking at NEC2017 690.12 for rapid shutdown, it mentions "PV system circuits installed on or in buildings shall include a rapid shutdown function to reduce shock hazard for emergency responders in accordance with 690.12(A) through (D)."

I could have sworn that previously this was "occupied dwellings". or "occupied structures" which lead me to believe that RSD wouldn't be required for my barn. However, looking at this verbiage right now makes it look like it'd be required. As usual with the NEC, there may be exceptions I'm overlooking. Does anyone know if RSD would be required, and have a pointer to the code section I'd need to look at specifically.

On to setbacks:

My local inspector has told me that the county I'm in doesn't have anything "over and above NEC" other than the 36" setback requirement on both sides of the house. they only require 1 36" setback (still 18" at the top ridge). Would the barn still need these setbacks?

The county is using florida building code 2020, until Jan 1 (then they move to 2023, so I wanna get the phase2 permits in quickly.

On RSD I would check with the local inspector, or building department to see if they will require RSD on the barn, while the code technically requires RSD some places with not require it on non occupied buildings.

Per Florida Building Code R324.6 exception 1 roof access setbacks are not required for non occupied buildings. This exception is there in the 2023 code as well.

On RSD I would check with the local inspector, or building department to see if they will require RSD on the barn, while the code technically requires RSD some places with not require it on non occupied buildings.

Per Florida Building Code R324.6 exception 1 roof access setbacks are not required for non occupied buildings. This exception is there in the 2023 code as well.
Thank you.

I suspect I was getting the 2 things confused from looking into it previously. I think the "non occupied" exemption i was thinking of, was for setbacks, not necessarily RSD. Unfortunately, everytime I've asked the inspector anything, the only answer I get is "We go by NEC and the florida building code". which essentially means "figure it out, and I'll happily fail ya if you get it wrong". lol

I already have tigo modules on my existing array. I guess it'd be easy enough to install the array on the barn without the tigo devices. And then if they fail me, just buy 12 of them and install them. It'd be extra work, but not too terrible I guess. It might be worth it to try and save the $650

Submit a simple plan to the AHJ and see if they approve or deny it without the Tigo's.
Honestly, such a simple idea.. and I didn't even think of it.

I need engineered/stamped plans.. but the company allows multiple revisions.. so if it gets denied, it's a trivial change. Sometimes, I really feel like I'm mentally challenged. lol

What county are you in? My understanding all of Florida is NEC2020.
Charlotte county. But no, NEC 2020 and florida building code 2023 is adopted statewide on 12/31/2023, ie, the beginning of 2024. I have a couple weeks left to get permits in before the new craziness.

Honestly, such a simple idea.. and I didn't even think of it.

I need engineered/stamped plans.. but the company allows multiple revisions.. so if it gets denied, it's a trivial change. Sometimes, I really feel like I'm mentally challenged. lol
I am mentally challenged but in a special way so I often think outside of the box ?.

This is an old post but just in case anyone is trying to look up the same question like I was
NEC 2023 says:
"
690.12 Rapid Shutdown of PV Systems on Buildings:
PV system circuit installed on or in buildings shall include a rapid
shutdown function to reduce shock hazard for firefighters in
accordance with 690.12(A) through (D).

Exception No. 1: Ground-mounted PV systems, circuits that enter buildings of which the sole purpose is to house PV system equipment, shall not be required to comply with 690.12.

Exception No. 2: PV equipment and circuits installed on non enclosed detached structures including but not limited to parking shade structures, carports, solar trellises and similar structures shall not be required to comply with 690.12

Informational Note: Exceptions for rapid shutdown are intended to be consistent with building and fire codes that have limitations as to the types of buildings on which firefighters typically perform rooftop operations.

"
So the barn question comes down to whether it is classed as "enclosed" or not. might require a definition hunt on its own.

Also I think the clarification came after 2017 when it was a new rule so if your state is still on NEC 2017 or 2020 then it might depend on how well versed your inspector is. I think you would have good odds if you had 2023 on hand though

RSD is really expensive, I worry it might stop people from installing panels when they do not need it but they dont get a clear answer with google. The world needs more Solar! I just hope to avert the unecessary cost for someone

Back