diy solar

diy solar

Need a 96v off grid inverter. Great if it also had shore power charging.

carterjohnsons25

Need a 96v inverter for my Solar boat. Battery , MPPT charger are 96v.

So far I am only finding cheapo aliexpress 96v inverters. Looking for something solid. 3000+ watts.

Suggestions Please.

Thanks in advance.

Any good?

Edit... Just found it is no longer manufactured. ☹️

Attachments

• 574801-nb_solar_inverter_charger_10kw.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
This one looks like it is still being manufactured, unlike the other one I found!
This product looks perfect. Perhaps too perfect. I sent them an email.

We will see.

Very limited info on the website or PDF. but it appears to have Inverter, Charger and even MMPT built in.... with monitoring LCD and breakers + more.

Very unclear from documentation on what kind of shore power it takes and how it uses that to charge batteries.

Have high hopes. Waiting to hear back from manufacturer.

This one looks like it is still being manufactured, unlike the other one I found!
Here is what they said Looks like not quite the right product. Truly need the ability to plug into standard Marine/RV 30amp 120v circuit. This is the deal breaker.

This will be for a fully electric boat (Off Grid) that runs on a 85kWh 32s 96v LifePO4 Battery.

1. Can the battery Charge setting be configured via an App? Is there a way to remote monitor the inverter? Franklin: the charging setting is preset, you can only choose the algorithm from the battery type selector.
  2. Does it support LifePO4 Batteries. Franklin:Yes, but there is not BMS port to communicate with the lithium battery. Your lithium battery has to be treated like lead acid battery.
  3. Re Charging:
    1. How is the High and Low battery cut off changed. IE. We often will want to set it to only charge to 90%. But will want the option to set it to %100 for long trips.
    2. We will want the inverter to shut off at 30%. Franklin: It only charge and cut off at preset voltages.
  4. Does the 96v version of product have a built in MMPT charge controller?Franklin:no.
    1. Is the MMPT built into the unit? Or is it a separate box?Franklin: there is no MPPT solar charger. If you want, you have to buy separetely.
    2. Do the solar panels plug directly into this inverter and it charges thru the same battery terminals?Franklin: it charges through the same battery terminals.
  1. Regarding AC Shore / AC Generator power
  1. Can it take input from a standard 120v 15amp or 30amp connections found at campsites or Marinas or small generators?Franklin: the input must be 240Vac, the output is 120/240Vac.

Can I get a quote for

Step up Shore power 30amp 120 volt to 240? Sure. tell me how. Diagram and parts needed. I have no knowledge on the subject.
Sure. You need a “step up transformer”. Victron also makes an autotransformer which will do the same and costs ~$600 for the 32A model.

Consider a separate battery charger to work 24-7 and the inverter can supply power as needed at the same time.

Quick search gave me this:

https://www.chargingchargers.com/quick-charge/obsc96-12.html

Can be configured to charge to your specified voltage and shut off to just monitor the voltage to restart charging. Get 2 with one at 100% voltage and one at 90% voltage. Run both for fastest recovery. If one fails the other gets you through the day.

I tend to like separate components. If something fails the rest keeps working. Easier to diagnose and have a fast replacement. All in one fails it might partially work or all might be done.

Consider a separate battery charger to work 24-7 and the inverter can supply power as needed at the same time.

Quick search gave me this:

https://www.chargingchargers.com/quick-charge/obsc96-12.html

Can be configured to charge to your specified voltage and shut off to just monitor the voltage to restart charging. Get 2 with one at 100% voltage and one at 90% voltage. Run both for fastest recovery. If one fails the other gets you through the day.

I tend to like separate components. If something fails the rest keeps working. Easier to diagnose and have a fast replacement. All in one fails it might partially work or all might be done.
I would need 3 of these to reach 3kW . Intriguing though. Looking at it more. But at that point, I would likely just get a Stealth EV 3.3kW charger that also does 1kW 12v DC/DC conversion and takes 15,30amp 120 or 50amp 240 standard shore power. Much easier and robust part.

I don't think you will be able to drive 3.3 kW charging from a 30 amp 120v connector. The linked charger says max 16 amps input but that is only 1920 watts. For near continuous power I recommend 80% load or 24 amps on that outlet. NEC says something about this as a continuous load and while it does not apply directly the effect is the same. The charger I linked draws 12 amps. Two is 24 amps and the outlet is at the max as far as I am concerned.

If you are really inverting 3000 watts you may run a deficit from the battery and hopefully the draw is reduced before the battery is low.

Back