diy solar

diy solar

Need a start on system design, could anyone help?

LouiseSJPP

My husband and I wish to put together a battery bank and solar array. We're not sure where to begin in researching the kit.

Being in a remote mountain location, with a 5kW incoming mains supply which would cost a fortune to upgrade, but enjoying a very low unit price for electricity at present, our requirements for the system are:

To augment the supply to meet occasional peak demands of over 5kW;
To provide security of supply through fairly frequent power cuts, providing back-up power for one or two days, the time it takes for most line repairs to be made;
To be readily upgradeable in case of future energy price increases.

This means our system will be heavy on batteries and light on panels, but needs some clever mains integration device to the incoming supply, to limit draw from the main to 5kW. I understand Victron provide something which will do this, but what that something is, I don't know.

Panel placing will mean some shadowing of the array, so micro-invertors would be good.

That's as far as I can get at the moment. I need to know more about what kit is available and what the terminology is.

Victron, eg4 18kpv, and Sol-ark have the ability to limit draw from grid. I think the victron is 120v, and the others are split phase 240v (usa).

Start with inverter and batteries. The eg4 and solark will up you to 17kw-19kw continous when on grid (5kw from grid, rest from battery), and 12-14kw from battery alone. They both have isolation switches to automatically disconnect from grid when grid is down.

Add solar later when price competitive.

Add cheap propane or natural gas generator and chargeverter for extended grid down.

Victron, eg4 18kpv, and Sol-ark have the ability to limit draw from grid. I think the victron is 120v, and the others are split phase 240v (usa).

Start with inverter and batteries. The eg4 and solark will up you to 17kw-19kw continous when on grid (5kw from grid, rest from battery), and 12-14kw from battery alone. They both have isolation switches to automatically disconnect from grid when grid is down.

Add solar later when price competitive.

Add cheap propane or natural gas generator and chargeverter for extended grid down.
I think they’re in France. So probably need a EU version for the inverter?

This Deye inverter may work for UK. Note: it has "grid peak shave" which is like "limit", but if your batteries become drained, it could try to take more than 5kw from the grid.

Back