diy solar

diy solar

Need Chicken Coop Help

WHTW49

I was given two 100 watt Weize solar panels by a neighbor. I want to use them to power lights, one small fan, auto chicken door,
and maybe a small pump or heater to keep water from freezing(only about 10 days a year). For now I need help in what I need and how to setup
the system. I am happy to read if there is one place that can get me started. Thanks for any help.l

Well sadly 200w of panel doesn't really buy you much, but you can get by if you plan carefully. Here's a few thoughts to get you started:

Lights on a solar eye, no sense lighting up the place if a window will do it.

Minimum watts you need for the lights.

Heaters and solar are a bad combo, but a small 12v pump and a simple solar water heater/heat exchanger might get you by.

Figure out the best possible angle for the panels to maximize output.

Figure you're only going to get 600ish watt hours a day as your power budget. Check PVWatts and the JRC solar site to get more exact numbers.

Grab the Power Audit form from the Resources section and start playing with numbers.

Keep everything DC if possible. No sense taking the efficiency hit going DC -> AC -> DC if you can avoid it.

Well sadly 200w of panel doesn't really buy you much, but you can get by if you plan carefully. Here's a few thoughts to get you started:

Lights on a solar eye, no sense lighting up the place if a window will do it.

Minimum watts you need for the lights.

Heaters and solar are a bad combo, but a small 12v pump and a simple solar water heater/heat exchanger might get you by.

Figure out the best possible angle for the panels to maximize output.

Figure you're only going to get 600ish watt hours a day as your power budget. Check PVWatts and the JRC solar site to get more exact numbers.

Grab the Power Audit form from the Resources section and start playing with numbers.

Keep everything DC if possible. No sense taking the efficiency hit going DC -> AC -> DC if you can avoid it.
Thank you. I'm learning. I think if we stick with the lights, a fan during summer and chicken door we might get by. January is our coldest month with a few days below 30 F and fewer below 20 F. Most of the people here don't do anything and none admit to losing any. I am looking at using a 20 amp renogy or similar mppt controller with a 100 aH battery. Am I being too optimistic?

Sounds like you don’t need heat for the water, or a pump. A good fount, insulated will probably be fine without heat. For lights, simple garden/walkway lights will work fine too. If you want the lights for egg production, that will work. Fan? Automatic door? May I ask why?
I’ve been keeping chickens for many years in much more difficult conditions. Chickens are tough. The door shouldn’t be necessary. If you aren’t pushing production of eggs, the light isn’t either, but the garden light things will do it for you either way.
Watching to see what you come up with.

Sounds like you don’t need heat for the water, or a pump. A good fount, insulated will probably be fine without heat. For lights, simple garden/walkway lights will work fine too. If you want the lights for egg production, that will work. Fan? Automatic door? May I ask why?
I’ve been keeping chickens for many years in much more difficult conditions. Chickens are tough. The door shouldn’t be necessary. If you aren’t pushing production of eggs, the light isn’t either, but the garden light things will do it for you either way.
Watching to see what you come up with.
Thank you for the help. Decided to stick with simple. Since my neighbor added the electric door I will power it and lights. This winter I will figure out if we ever need any pump or heat for the water. I'll repost after it's all set up.

Back