diy solar

diy solar

Need help chosing a solar controler

Camginger

Hi everybody. I'm looking for a good solar controler. I just bought 2 batteries (Power Queen Mini Premium 100 amps. My 3 solar pannels (225w each) are 24volts with Voc 36.7 and Short Circuit Current of 8.19 amps for each pannel. So, what would be a good choice for a solar controler for the price? I'm looking to buy it this week. Tks everyone.

Last edited:
If my math is right, that is 750 watts of panels, so a little over 31 charging amps.

In panels are n parallel, a Victron 100/30 will work, and a 100/50 would allow for one more panel down the road.

If putting panels in series, a Victron 150 volt series SCC will work.

If my math is right, that is 750 watts of panels, so a little over 31 charging amps.

In panels are n parallel, a Victron 100/30 will work, and a 100/50 would allow for one more panel down the road.

If putting panels in series, a Victron 150 volt series SCC will work.
What does the 750 number mean? If that is the total wattage of my pannels, that number should be 675. If I undertood it right, 3 x225watts= 675w. I'm already lost with all these numbers. Don't get me more mixed up than I already am with all these numbers.. LOL!! I was thinking of hooking them up in parallele, and not in series. Am I right or wrong?... I'll also check for the Victron 130 and the Victron 150.

Last edited:
What does the 750 number mean? If that is the total wattage of my pannels, that number should be 675. If I undertood it right, 3 x225watts= 675w. I'm already lost with all these numbers. Don't get me more mixed up than I already am with all these numbers.. LOL!! I was thinking of hooking them up in parallele, and not in series. Am I right or wrong?... I'll also check for the Victron 130 and the Victron 150.
I checked Victron that you recommanded it to me. I chose a different model though (see the link below), which is a bit better with what I need, I think. Thank you very much for your help, cause I was lost... in all these small details.

Victron Energy SmartSolar MPPT Contrôleur de charge solaire 150 V 35 A 12/24/36/48 volts (Bluetooth)​

That is a good choice. All the Victron MPPT controllers are on sale now for 40% off in the US. Not sure of your local market.

Another advantage of The 150 volt versions is they can also charge a 48 volt battery. The 100 volt models only go to 24 volt batteries.
What does the 750 number mean? If that is the total wattage of my pannels, that number should be 675.
You are correct its 625 total watts, not 750 watts.

I did not see you wrote 225 out and did some math of the current times the voltage and it came out to roughly 250 watts per panel.

100/50 if going 12v with panels in parallel

Victron 150/35 with panels in series if going 24v as I don't think there will be enough voltage differential between VOC and absorption voltage - (36v vs 29v) during low light conditions to allow the MPPT to pull the voltage down to work the panels, you'd be limited to whatever power can be made at 34v (ie, 29 + 5)

Just want to verify - are your two batteries setup in series for 24v or parallel for 12v.

If 24v then Victron 150/35

If 12v then 150/45 if never going to add more panels (without going to higher voltage)
150/60 - if you think you might want to add more

Don’t put three of those panels into a 100/?? SCC. If you want one more panel you could put four in a 2s2p into the 100/50 - but you would be overpaneled a little. 150/60 would be better in that case.

After investing (I should say ''wasting'') so much time trying to understand all the small details, and adding all the cost of a very complex system like this (Victron, Renogy, .. I mean inverter, solar controler, size of the wires and fuses, breakers, etc.etc...), I decided that I will send the whole bunch of stuff back that I just bought and get a refund for all that stuff ...

Last night, after SSSSSSSOOOOOOO many hours trying to understand everything, I thought ''f**k off''. I'm going to buy my second ''all in one'' system from MPP SOLAR again!! I made a mistake with my first one a few years ago (I shorted it out myself, my own fault..). You can see my old post asking qst about how to fix it. It still not fixed and in a closet, but I'll get it looked after later when I have some more free time on my own.

If I blew it again guys, I don't think I will this time, I'll buy another ''all in one'' system from MPPSOLAR AGAIN!!!!!

Technology evolved guys, you should go with the flow of evolution. MPP SOLAR is the answer. Don't waste your time

I'm normally trying to follow this saying in my life: ''KISS'' = Keep It Simple Stupid!!!

Good luck to everybody investing (...and WASTING) SSSOOOO MUCH TIME trying to undertand all the small details of building a VERY COMPLEX system with ALL these different brands with ALL their different components.

To me, when you understand all the small details that a very complex system like this can be, the only result is that you can try to look good when trying to explain all of it to newbies like I was...

It' just not worth wasting my precious time to understand the whole thing. And I think that it should also not worth wasting anybody else precious time either.

It is just my personal point of view guys. I respect everybody else preferences, but, at least, I think that before to embarque in a VERY COMPLEX project like that, every newbie should weight all the pros and cons of building a VERY COMPLEX system like that, and compare all the cost (TIME AND ... $$$) between a very complex system and a VERY SIMPLE system like the All In One'' system (from MPP SOLAR or any other companies selling this kind of system).

I named MPP SOLAR company kind of often. I'm not paid from them. I just followed Will Prowse comments saying that this company and this kind of system is a very good one. Will never recommended any other company's ''All In One system''. It doesn't mean that other company's ''All In One systems'' are not good though. I'm just using Will Prowse's own word, not mine.

Why trying to re-invent the wheel when it's already been invented...

Sorry Victron, Renogy and all the other companies. I'll be looking at your products only when you'll start selling ''All In One systems''.

Good day and good luck to everybody with your personal projects.

Last edited:
That is a good choice. All the Victron MPPT controllers are on sale now for 40% off in the US. Not sure of your local market.

Another advantage of The 150 volt versions is they can also charge a 48 volt battery. The 100 volt models only go to 24 volt batteries.

You are correct its 625 total watts, not 750 watts.

I did not see you wrote 225 out and did some math of the current times the voltage and it came out to roughly 250 watts per panel.
No no no. It's not ''625 watts'', it is ''675 watts'' ... LOL

Back