diy solar

diy solar

Need help designing my system

derriakadean

I'm try to build a grid tie only system. I'm building my system with 100w ecoworthy panels ill buy one every 3 weeks. I'm having the hardest time try to pick out an inverter. I will have budgeted 300 to 500 dollars for this. I see some hybrid inverters at this price point. Not sure if these can be used without batteries and only use the grid tie function. I'm wanting to scale over time have about 3000w in total and would be happy stacking inverters. I don't want to buy a piece of junk. But I won't a good value. Does anyone have any suggestions.

I'm try to build a grid tie only system. I'm building my system with 100w ecoworthy panels ill buy one every 3 weeks. I'm having the hardest time try to pick out an inverter. I will have budgeted 300 to 500 dollars for this. I see some hybrid inverters at this price point.
You don't seem to understand even the basics of what you are suggesting. Do you understand that there will be a permitting process that must include inspections to ensure everything is up to code? Do you understand that you can't just start feeding power into the grid one day without first having a contract with the local power company. Do you understand that 100W panels are just about the worst possible choice you can make for a grid-tie? Do you understand that grid-tie inverters start at >1000$ and go straight up from there?

I think you will be far better off building yourself a small 12V starter system, and powering some small items off-grid. Even that will have a learning curve.

Lol
You don't seem to understand even the basics of what you are suggesting. Do you understand that there will be a permitting process that must include inspections to ensure everything is up to code? Do you understand that you can't just start feeding power into the grid one day without first having a contract with the local power company. Do you understand that 100W panels are just about the worst possible choice you can make for a grid-tie? Do you understand that grid-tie inverters start at >1000$ and go straight up from there?

I think you will be far better off building yourself a small 12V starter system, and powering some small items off-grid. Even that will have a learning curve.
Lol

Lol.. I do understand your that guy in the fourm. This ant rocket science pal I just want some suggestions.

I can't believe there is anywhere in the US, no matter how remote, that would allow a grid-tie without inspections. Do you understand what a "grid-tie" means?
I'm sure they don't allow I'm not going to ask permission.

How exactly were you able to determine that with the 3 sentences I posted

How exactly were you able to determine that with the 3 sentences I posted
Well, let's see.....

1) I'm building my system with 100w ecoworthy panels i'll buy one every 3 weeks The power company is going to laugh at you for attempting to connect a grid-tie starting with a single 100W panel.

2) I'm having the hardest time try to pick out an inverter. I will have budgeted 300 to 500 dollars for this The cheapest UL listed grid-tie inverter I see on the market is about 1400$, far higher then the 300-500$ you think you are going to spend.

3)I'm wanting to scale over time have about 3000w in total At 100W every three weeks, that would take about 90 weeks total. I've installed that many watts in one day.

Well, let's see.....

1) I'm building my system with 100w ecoworthy panels i'll buy one every 3 weeks The power company is going to laugh at you for attempting to connect a grid-tie starting with a single 100W panel.

2) I'm having the hardest time try to pick out an inverter. I will have budgeted 300 to 500 dollars for this The cheapest UL listed grid-tie inverter I see on the market is about 1400$, far higher then the 300-500$ you think you are going to spend.

3)I'm wanting to scale over time have about 3000w in total At 100W every three weeks, that would take about 90 weeks total. I've installed that many watts in one day.
You mad bro

Well this is not going well.
Your not going to get many answers to your questions if your making it clear that you won't except answers that don't fit with your perceived vision of how things work.

The moment you go Grid Tied the power company can detect any power that you might be sending back to the Grid.
Even if you send no power back, the utility companies have algorithms that detect when a customer is using a certain percentage less power than they normally use. Within a 2-3 months they will send someone to check it out.

Your not going to find any UL listed Grid Tied Inverter for $500. Even the $1400 models you are looking at are not UL listed, they are just UL Certified which means they cannot be Grid Tied.

BTW if you have equipment Grid Tied to the Grid that is not certified and Inspected they will just cut your power if it's not removed immediately.

Last edited:
This is the Best Advice you have been given. Stay off grid with your project, you can have backup power and save on your electric bill without running into problems with the power company.

Your not going to get many answers to your questions if your making it clear that you won't except answers that don't fit with your perceived vision of how things work.

The moment you go Grid Tied the power company can detect any power that you might be sending back to the Grid.
Even if you send no power back the utility companies have algorithms that detect when a customer is using less power than they normally use. Within a 2-3 months they will send someone to check it out.

Your not going to find any UL listed Grid Tied Inverter for $500. Even the $1400 models you are looking at are not UL listed, they are just UL Certified which means they cannot be Grid Tied.

BTW if you have equipment Grid Tied to the Grid that is not certified and Inspected they will just cut your power if it's not removed immediately.
Well I'm just going to have build a nuclear power system instead then.

Even if you send no power back the utility companies have algorithms that detect when a customer is using less power than they normally use. Within a 2-3 months they will send someone to check it out.

Well I'm just going to have to build a nuclear power system instead

Lol if you only new...
I do. How do you think I know where you are?

I had no idea I'd get attacked on diy solar forum. ? Lol
Be thankful that you are getting a bit less :poop: than you are giving. Hang out for while if you really want to get your feelings hurt.

A great group of folks that really are here to help and learn. I bet there's something we can learn from you.

I do. How do you think I know where you are?

Be thankful that you are getting a bit less :poop: than you are giving. Hang out for while if you really want to get your feelings hurt.

A great group folks that really are here to help and learn. I bet there's something we can learn from you.
How I'm giving shit. I never claimed I knew anything that was y'all assertion.

diy solar

diy solar
Back