diy solar

diy solar

Need help with solar array setup for my eg4 6000xp

DanielForrest

I have a new EG4 6000XP setup that I just got rolling with one EG4 LL 48 V battery. (See pics) it’s working great!

I have 20x Sunpower 320 W solar panels. (Specs in pics) But I currently only have six of them hooked up in one series string connected to one leg of the 2 EG4 PV inputs.

On a sunny day I see around 300-350v going into the charge controller on its display.

I would like to maximize the solar inputs going into my system. With all 20 panels, It should be close to 6400 W max (but they’re old and I’m sure they’re weaker then the printed specs) and the EG4 says it can handle 8000w.

How can I hook up all 20 of my solar panels (or at least the most that I can use) to my 6000xp? The manual says a max input of 480voc.

I need advice on how many Parallel and series strings to setup with how many panels, using both PV inputs.

Thank you guys for any advice!

IMG_1605.jpegIMG_1551.jpegIMG_1560.jpeg

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!

There are smarter people than myself on the forum, but here is what I came up with. I grabbed this image off of another forum post, but this is likely how you could maximize your panels. Two setups like this. One to each MPPT input.

You would run two sets of 5 panels in series, then parallel them together. Then run that to one of the MPPT inputs. Your max voltage depends on the lowest temperature in your area, but this should keep you in the safe zone, around 380 volts max, and 12.6 amps per input.

Fusing is not my expertise, but someone could add that info for you. You would also have to determine how far you are running your wires to the panels, so people could help you figure out the minimum wire gauge.

Good luck on your project. Looks like a fun one!

1717260049785.png

There are smarter people than myself on the forum, but here is what I came up with. I grabbed this image off of another forum post, but this is likely how you could maximize your panels. Two setups like this. One to each MPPT input.

You would run two sets of 5 panels in series, then parallel them together. Then run that to one of the MPPT inputs. Your max voltage depends on the lowest temperature in your area, but this should keep you in the safe zone, around 380 volts max, and 12.6 amps per input.

Fusing is not my expertise, but someone could add that info for you. You would also have to determine how far you are running your wires to the panels, so people could help you figure out the minimum wire gauge.

View attachment 219041
42 Ohms, thank you! That looks great. Yes, I haven’t added any fuses and I definitely need to. So if anyone has advice on that, please let me know.
But what you illustrated and described looks and sounds perfect. And seems a very straightforward and symmetrical setup. Thank you very much for such a fast, thoughtful and detailed reply.

If it were mine I would go 5S2P to each MPPT.
I would probably aim 10 panels South to 1 MPPT, 5 SE and the other 5 SW on the 2nd MPPT to spread production over the day (pending shading of course).
That’s a great idea, I think I will do that 2 direction setup.

Cool, thank you. Where would I put these? Before each of the 2 PV inputs on the 6000xp? So I’d need two, one for each 5s2p setup?
Correct. You'd need to mount them in a box on a piece of Din rail.
I'm using this one for some for a disconnect at my array, they would hold the fuse holders just fine as well.
smseace Distribution Protection Box, ABS Plastic Transparent Cover Waterproof Distribution Box IP65, for Indoor Wall Circuit Breaker (5 Way) https://a.co/d/aZmoDhA

Correct. You'd need to mount them in a box on a piece of Din rail.
I'm using this one for some for a disconnect at my array, they would hold the fuse holders just fine as well.
smseace Distribution Protection Box, ABS Plastic Transparent Cover Waterproof Distribution Box IP65, for Indoor Wall Circuit Breaker (5 Way) https://a.co/d/aZmoDhA
42, Great, that’s perfect! Hey, thank you very much for the time and information you’ve shared with me. As it stands, I’m gonna do 100% of what you suggested! I’ll order those breakers and the housing right now.

Cheers! 🍻

View attachment 219041
Sun Dave!

I want to thank you for such a detailed reply! I will go ahead with the upgrade using your suggestions and setup. Thanks for the picture as well. The visual always makes thinking about it easier. Thanks again and I hope you had a great rest of the weekend.

Daniel

Back