diy solar

diy solar

Need help with Wiring Switches for Sol-Ark System

SolarHead

50% of people are below average. (Its a statistic)
switches_question.png

My questions are in regards to switches . I show my 2 questions above in the image and I will explain them below as well. Everything in my existing system is in the diagram above except the Transfer Switch (shown in purple). I do not have a transfer switch yet. I just have a wire running from the Sol-Ark over to the Critical Needs panel (which I wonder about if thats a thick enough wire, am considering upgrading the 6ga to a 4ga instead). This wire would of course come out when I install a transfer switch, but I would use the same 4ga wire when wiring up the transfer switch once I get one.

First Question (#1 in diagram) is shown above in regards to a Transfer Switch that I do not have yet but want one (I think its a good idea but argue with me please). Its in regards to wanting to buy a transfer switch, manual or automatic. I like the idea of a manual switch , but if we're not home , freezer goes out and food spoils so probably would lean more towards automatic. I dont know what to buy. I've looked at many transfer switches, not sure if Generac makes one or not. I think 100A minimum, maybe go with a 200A since my critical loads panel is a 200A panel (identical to my other two panel boxes) but I dont have 200A worth of breakers in there and don't plan to either. I think a 100A would work but not sure. Any advice on size/type/brand/model of ATS would be appreciated. I wondered about a Generac ATS (or any ATS for that matter) detecting the hertz that the generator or house puts out and getting confused and causing an issue. I want an ATS that is meant for this situation or configuration and really solid. Not concerned with price as much as I am with functionality and being sized right.

Second Question (#2 in diagram) is about the Safety Switch is already installed and working but not sure I wired it correctly in regards to the Neutral wire since I read something where some inverters want/require that, and some do not.

In my search/research for an ATS or manual switch there in-between my critical loads panel, and my Sol-Ark (so if Sol-Ark takes a poop or I need to by-pass it temporarily to repair/replace the Sol-Ark), I wondered about the idea of replacing my critical loads breaker box with something like this below. It would basically sit there and wait for power from the Sol-Ark to disappear before it decides to pull from the main panels AC instead. I dont know if something like this would work or cause unforeseen issues.

Question two.
Three Phase service? Yes you switch all three lines. Three Phase doesn't really have a neutral.
Single Phase service? You have a hot, a neutral, and the earth ground. Most times you do not switch the earth ground, but there are times it is done. Check your Sol-Ark installation manual.
Question one.
That is a nice device. maybe overkill for what you have?
I use this rotary switch as a manual disconnect.

Sorry for my confusion. :) Am I getting this right?
You have line 1, line 2 with a earth ground at the mains input. That 240V is split with a neutral to create the 120V.
Yes, you switch the neutral. it is current carrying circuit.

Why not feed critical loads panel with both grid and sol-ark and an interlock device. Grid power goes to main lugs with breaker and sol-ark goes to a breaker in the top right slot of panel. N/G is done back in the main panel.

Back