diy solar

diy solar

Need ideas for project

Bluedog225

Texas
Some dummy (me) left two newish Ryobi 18 volt battery packs out in the weather. I convinced myself there had only been a heavy dew but in reality they got rained on. Found them a week later. Circuits seem fried but he unprotected 18650s [corrected from 19650] are holding voltage. Neither will charge in the Ryobi charger.

I’d like to use the packs or the cells for something.

I could always use more flashlight batteries? Can I dismantle and attach a protection circuit to each battery? Or will that require a spot welder? Probably more expensive than I care to mess with. Or should I buy a flashlight that uses unprotected cells? I vaguely recall that they make those though I have always purchased protected.

On a related note, Restore was selling boxes of these little solar panels (see below). Something like 5 to a box for $5. So I bought 7-8 boxes….?

I wouldn’t mind cobbling together a Frankenstein bright solar powered, motion detector light, outdoor mounted in a metal box. I’d have to cut off the circuit board. I wonder if I could trickle charge these packs at 24 volts or would I need a charge controller?

Heck, I wouldn’t mind putting them in a sealed plastic box underground if what I end up is a little but electrically sketchy but might work good for years.

Any ideas welcome. Hate to throw them away.

thanks

IMG_0162.jpegIMG_0163.jpegIMG_0164.jpegIMG_0165.png

Last edited:
You can buy replacement BMS on eBay.
I'm not sure if this one is correct, just an example

They are cheap copies, probably not as good as the real deal, but better than buying replacement packs.

Back